First come first serve details?

BaZ

I know NDOW is rolling out a new process for leftover and returned tags this year (any returned tags are supposed to become available for anyone to buy at random times). I thought today was supposed to be the start of that but I'm not seeing anything different on Kalkomey. Anyone have any details about when this is planned to go live and if it will be through Kalkomey (I assume it will)?

Yeah that makes sense to me but I heard someone from NDOW on a podcast talking about how they always get a bunch of returned tags, including some excellent ones (i.e. sheep, which is hard to believe). His point was that in past years no one ends up getting those tags, but this year people will have the opportunity to pick them up.

Yeah that makes sense to me but I heard someone from NDOW on a podcast talking about how they always get a bunch of returned tags, including some excellent ones (i.e. sheep, which is hard to believe). His point was that in past years no one ends up getting those tags, but this year people will have the opportunity to pick them up.
Call NDOW and ask them!

I thought if a tag was turned in it went to the first alternate. I signed up for it during the application.

Up until two weeks before the hunt. After that there is no automatic issue so in the past it just sits there. The deputy director said at one point last year 5 sheep tags were returned and could not be re issued, like getting to NDOW the day before the opener.

Or if there is no first choice alternate, then it goes to first come first serve.

There is potential that a tag could be turned in a couple days before season and actually hit first come first serve the day before opening day.

I just called NDOW and was told this:

Returned tags that are not re-issued to alternates, either because there is no alternate or it is close to or during the season will go up on Kalkomey randomly starting next week. They will be randomly offered upon login so not everyone will even get the offer. The tags may be offered before or during the season for which they are valid. So if you decide to buy one you could only have a few days to hunt.

I’m not sure they could have come up with a stranger way of doing it….

Just so you know… If you purchase a tag at first come first serve you will lose your points that you have accumulated for that particular animal / sex.

I just called NDOW and was told this:

Returned tags that are not re-issued to alternates, either because there is no alternate or it is close to or during the season will go up on Kalkomey randomly starting next week. They will be randomly offered upon login so not everyone will even get the offer. The tags may be offered before or during the season for which they are valid. So if you decide to buy one you could only have a few days to hunt.

I’m not sure they could have come up with a stranger way of doing it….
It would be nice to be able audit the true "randomness" of this selection process. This along with easily hiding most results will probably mean that ndow and/or kalkomey will magically be giving tags to their buddies like ndow got busted doing before.

What is the website to look on for leftover tags
Go to the Kalkomey site & login. Go to the buy licenses tab, put in your residency info, then supposedly any available tags will pop up. From what I understand it will be random. If there is a tag you are interested in purchase it immediately. I was told that the availability will time out & it might not be there if you log back in. I don’t know for certain, but that is how it was explained to me. Also I was told to check multiple times per day because you never know when they will be posted.

Go to the Kalkomey site & login. Go to the buy licenses tab, put in your residency info, then supposedly any available tags will pop up. From what I understand it will be random. If there is a tag you are interested in purchase it immediately. I was told that the availability will time out & it might not be there if you log back in. I don’t know for certain, but that is how it was explained to me. Also I was told to check multiple times per day because you never know when they will be posted.
Go to license and permits ? When I go there it only shows my previous hunting license and I can’t foresee them offering the purchase of a turn back tag in that area.

For the heck of it, I have been logging in under we my wife's account to see if any pop up. I.have not seen any, or any way to get to that link.

So my guess is so far all tags which have been returned since the second draw have gone to an alternate.

Or have been picked up by someone already.

Tags popped up today. Antlerless Elk Dep tags, and Archery Pronghorn tags.

Antlerless Elk had 2 they are gone now. As of right now 14 Pronghorn tags available.

Added note, I'm gathering that it only shows you tags that you are able to purchase. If you have current tag for a species it won't show if there are any available for that species.

I was just looking cow elk is off the board. This is actually neat. Man I wonder when the archery bucks will be put in?

Ya all archery now says 18 days left. That would be mine if I didn’t have an ac separation that’s has he not pulling my bow back for another month. If a rifle shows up I’ll give it my best I’m going to look a couple times a day.

I had to go through the site several times & finally found where the tags were displayed. As of this minute it’s not showing any available though.
602C5ACB-79F3-4745-A66F-E5DE22D86D93.png
943D7B56-3B06-4245-BDDA-073AFACC37B4.png

Started aug 1st
Gotta be quick!!
picked up a lope horns longer ALW
Pretty slow now but when seasons really start to kick off more and more tags will be returned.
Family didn’t draw so having the chance to still grab a tag is Amazing!!

Started aug 1st
Gotta be quick!!
picked up a lope horns longer ALW
Pretty slow now but when seasons really start to kick off more and more tags will be returned.
Family didn’t draw so having the chance to still grab a tag is Amazing!!
What unit did you pick up?

I saw a 068 067 ALW horns L pop and I second guessed myself. By that time it was already gone. I told myself no matter what the next ALW hours longer I don’t care where it is I’m trying for. Waited all day. One popped at supper time and I hit the button in less than a second!! It added to cart and I’m like ohh… where is it at?? Didn’t have the time to read all the description.. lol The system does a real good job of hiding that info until you check out..!!
Sooo 043 046 it is!! There’s no animals there! Shhhh
After being knocked down in the draws and now getting the excitement of planning scouting preparation for a opportunistic TAG! I’m excited and now have plans instead of dinner at the in-laws… over and over..

If I’m correct non residents can buy any resident tags that pops up in the queue… at non res price. I guess other states are like that too.
Residents should get first chance. Or a resident queue and a non resident queue.
I know it’s all about revenue. Sell every single tag!
The residents should get first crack at fcfs. Theres soo many residents applying that were unsuccessful that would LOVE a TAG any TAG especially the children!’
yeah I played the kid card ha

It’s probably pretty hard for non res guys being a lot of them will be just days before the hunt starts. Nice pick up on the tag how many points did you burn?

Had a 231 archery let it go back into the system as I thought about it and just got my bow 6 weeks ago and didn’t feel like I’m ready with my bow to go chase deer but a rifle tag comes up then that’s a no brainer. Good luck to who ever grabs it.

I believe a guy from this forum (Trophy taker) got your tag. Hopefully, he will make the most of the opportunity.

Hawkeye

Has anyone figured out a way to see what unit the tag is for once you add it to your cart and purchase? Or do you just have 1/2 second glance in the time you have to add it to cart before its gone. Can Game/Fish tell you if you call? Would like to research but only briefly glanced at the tag before I added it. I dont really care where it is just want to get started researching.

Has anyone figured out a way to see what unit the tag is for once you add it to your cart and purchase? Or do you just have 1/2 second glance in the time you have to add it to cart before its gone. Can Game/Fish tell you if you call? Would like to research but only briefly glanced at the tag before I added it. I dont really care where it is just want to get started researching.
You can look in your account under the application and points tab. It will show you which unit there once you expand the tag in question.

I believe a guy from this forum (Trophy taker) got your tag. Hopefully, he will make the most of the opportunity.

Hawkeye
Pretty sure he had one before I grabbed one and let it go, it was only two nights ago that I had it and let it go.

Someone just grabbed an area 22 archery tag for Mule deer. Season opened today. I was tempted but I would've had to take a crash course in archery. Considering I drew nothing though, I almost took it.

Finally had a tag pop up at 2:30 yesterday morning, it was a 221-223 archery deer tag. Came close to pulling the trigger.
I am waiting for that ALW antelope horns longer tag to pop up. Season opens Aug 22

I had a chance to grab 241 archery but again, I am not there yet. It came up 2 days ago.

I am waiting for that ALW antelope horns longer tag to pop up. Season opens Aug 22

I had a chance to grab 241 archery but again, I am not there yet. It came up 2 days ago.
I too would love to see an ALW pronghorn tag pop up. Montana didn’t come through with my 72% draw odds rifle tag this year so I’m stuck with only an Idaho unlimited archery ‘lope tag. I’ll be hunting pronghorn next weekend either way but I would prefer it be with a rifle in Nevada

Well, with no tag this year, I jumped on that 043-046 ALW Antelope tag!

Never been to the area but I'll figure it out. Excited just to have a tag at this point. I am a fan already of FCFS. Was hoping for a tag south (which they may still come up) but I wasn't going to be picky. As quick as the tags go, its tough to even get something to your cart.

Well, with no tag this year, I jumped on that 043-046 ALW Antelope tag!

Never been to the area but I'll figure it out. Excited just to have a tag at this point. I am a fan already of FCFS. Was hoping for a tag south (which they may still come up) but I wasn't going to be picky. As quick as the tags go, its tough to even get something to your cart.
Good deal! Congratulations & good luck. ??

Am I the only one who’s checked about 1000 times and not seen a single tag show up?
Lol… I had some luck the first few day but haven’t seen a single one pop up since.
The ones that I saw were EARLY AM I assume before most people get up, like 2-3:00 in the morning. When they pop up they are taken pretty quick.

Checked?? Lol I’m investing 18ish hrs a day in between work. I’ll take the family’s phones and log everyone in. Imagine four phones sitting on the laptop key board… sometimes tags don’t hit on all devices and accounts.
As we near rifle openers there should be more available tag activity.
Best of luck!

Checked?? Lol I’m investing 18ish hrs a day in between work. I’ll take the family’s phones and log everyone in. Imagine four phones sitting on the laptop key board… sometimes tags don’t hit on all devices and accounts.
As we near rifle openers there should be more available tag activity.
Best of luck!
That's what I was thinking as well but I wasn't going to take a chance on missing out on a tag to get an area closer to home.

Everything I've read seems to point to 043-046 being a quality area. Harvest rate was 88% last year as well.

Hahaha well that should make me feel better but it doesn’t! Guess you just need to get lucky, so good luck guys!

With the exception of Rocky Mountain Bighorn, and Mountain Goat, all tags are available to nonresidents as well.
Yup, this man is right.

This is from NDOW website:

First-Come First-Served

New to this year is an enhanced First-Come-First-Served (FCFS) queue that will be accessible in our NDOW Licensing System. This queue offers NDOW customers the ability to purchase any tags remaining after the second draw or any returned tags without an eligible alternate. Just for the FCFS, the residency eligibility will not be restricted to tags within the queue. So, a non-resident can purchase a resident tag at the non-resident price and vice-versa. The only exception is for the junior mule deer/antlerless mule deer tags, which will only be available to eligible resident juniors.

Just remember the waiting periods …
lope buck 3years with or without harvest
Antlered elk 7 years with or without harvest
Fcfs tags are great but use your nogin’
If your not careful there will be many many years
You will only be eligible for antlerless species and mule deer.

Just remember the waiting periods …
lope buck 3years with or without harvest
Antlered elk 7 years with or without harvest
Fcfs tags are great but use your nogin’
If your not careful there will be many many years
You will only be eligible for antlerless species and mule deer.
05DA0962-F5B8-42BB-BAFF-65FF634E2F72.jpeg

Hopefully I can get on him tomorrow.
Interesting country up here. Smoke is thick right now. Really bad today. Rolled in bad shortly after I found him.

Directly from the first come first serve page....

You will have 5 minutes once a tag has been added to your cart to checkout. Once that timer runs out, your tag will be taken from your cart, and will re appear on the first come, first served list within the next 24 hours.
create
To ensure a quick checkout, make sure your payment and shipping information is up to date before adding a tag to your cart. You can make changes to this information in your profile.
shopping_cart
You are allowed one tag in your cart at a time. If you want to purchase multiple tags, you will have to purchase them in separate transactions. This ensures that the first come first served checkout process is fair for all hunters.
local_shipping
Take shipping times into account when purchasing your tags. Some tags may have few days left in-season and standard mail would arrive after the season ends. Typical standard mail times are 5-7 business days. Overnight shipping is available for an increased fee and tags are free to be picked up at an NDOW office during business hours.

Frequently Asked Questions​

What is the First Come, First Served (FCFS) program?​

This is a way to offer additional hunting opportunities to the public. The Department’s goal is to not have any tag go unused and this new program allows us to offer these tags to all eligible hunters.

Why are these tags available in this program?​

The tags available for purchase in the FCFS program are tags not issued from the main and second draws, returned to NDOW with no eligible alternate, or was returned with less than 14-days prior to the start of the season.

When do FCFS tags become available for purchase?​

Tags eligible for the FCFS program will appear for purchase at a randomized time 24-hours after a tag has been processed by NDOW.

Can anyone purchase a FCFS tag?​

Clients with an active NV hunt license who aren't currently in a waiting period for the specific species, don't have a suspension on their account, & don't already hold a tag for the same species will be able to purchase a tag from this program.

How can I receive my FCFS tag once I’ve purchased it?​

Tags can be shipped standard, overnighted, or available for pick up at NDOW offices around the state during regular office hours.

Will I lose my bonus points if I purchase a FCFS tag?​

Yes. All standard draw rules apply to purchased FCFS tags, including the loss of bonus points and applied waiting periods.

Will I be in a waiting period if I purchase a FCFS tag?​

Yes. All standard draw rules apply to purchased FCFS tags, including the loss of bonus points and applied waiting periods.

I applied and was unsuccessful for the same tag in the main draw, why is it available in the FCFS program?​

The tags available for purchase in the FCFS program could have been from an identical hunt offered to a different residency, was returned to NDOW with no eligible alternate, or was returned with less than 14-days prior to the start of the season.

Can I purchase a resident tag if I am a nonresident?​

Yes, with the exception of any JR mule deer, Rocky Mtn Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat tags. Tags returned to the Dept become resident agnostic before becoming available for purchase in the program. Residency pricing will remain the same at checkout.

Can I buy more than one FCFS tag?​

Yes, but only through separate transactions. Only one tag can be placed in a shopping cart at a time and will be the only item, outside of a hunting license, that can be purchased at that time.

Can I return my purchased FCFS tag?​

Yes. Returned FCFS tags will again appear for purchase within 24-hours after processing by NDOW. Bonus points are reinstated if the tag is received 1 day prior to the start of the season.

Do I need a hunting license to purchase a FCFS tag?​

Yes. If you wish to purchase a FCFS tag and do not currently hold an active Nevada hunting license, you will be prompted to purchase a license along with your tag at the time of checkout.

Do I need a hunter’s safety certification before purchasing a FCFS tag?​

Yes, to anyone born after January 1, 1960. If you do not currently have a hunter’s safety certification attached to your account, you will not be allowed to select a FCFS tag that is currently available for purchase.

I marked to be an alternate why wasn’t I assigned a FCFS tag?​

Opting to be an alternate qualifies your 1st choice per application for consideration. Any tag not matching an alternate’s 1st choice or any tag returned to NDOW with fewer than 14-day before the season opener are assigned to the FCFS program

I picked up a 115/231/242 any weapon antelope tag on saturday... Going to be there anyways for deer figured i might hit the last couple days of antelope season to see if i can get one with the muzzleloader.

I would say, I'm in for an alternate tag for Rocky's and Californias, and if you drew I'd be calling NDOW. I'm glad I don't have to call NDOW. Be good Sallaberry, had my heart pumping when I saw that.

I’m sure there will be a day that someone gets a FCFS sheep tag and hopefully it’s me haha ?

I would say, I'm in for an alternate tag for Rocky's and Californias, and if you drew I'd be calling NDOW. I'm glad I don't have to call NDOW. Be good Sallaberry, had my heart pumping when I saw that.
Did you end up calling yet? If so, what did they say?

Anyone been seeing any tags? I haven't seen any come up since Sunday. Seems like I'd see one periodically but there has been nothing lately.

I just purchased a unit 51 ALW bull elk tag today, so there are a few coming up. If anyone has any advice for hunting that area, please let me know. I would be happy with harvesting any bull (it would be my first elk).

I just purchased a unit 51 ALW bull elk tag today, so there are a few coming up. If anyone has any advice for hunting that area, please let me know. I would be happy with harvesting any bull (it would be my first elk).
Congrats! I’d seen that one pop up probably six times over the last week. Kept mulling it over but don’t want to wait seven years for a tag I can’t put time into. I already did that with my FCFS antelope tag haha. Best of luck!

Anyone been seeing any tags? I haven't seen any come up since Sunday. Seems like I'd see one periodically but there has been nothing lately.
I’ve seen a few, but definitely seems like less than earlier in the season. The few times tags have come up, they’ve been gone before I can click on them. Had an antlerless elk tag come up today that was on my screen for no more than five seconds and was gone. Bummed cause it was one of the few areas I actually know.

Maybe I’m being punished for getting 2 FCFS tags already. Have only seen 2 cow tags and the 051 bull tag. Saw a bunch last week though.
Lots of cow season left though and I’d rather hunt the late hunt in 22/23.

Must be off probation. Girlfriend has seen tons of tags today. Missed a 13 tag for herself too. all deer tags though.

Don’t see much for myself because I’m almost speciesed out.
Under my wife and daughters acts I see a bunch. I’ve been lax on looking recently tho. Planning a hunt.
I’ve recently seen
muzzy lope tags
Muzzy deer tags
ALW deer
ALW spike elk
Cow tags
ALW bull that 051 would have been sweet but conflicting hunting dates
Most are up in northern Nv
Few down south 11s 26s
I really think your going to see more pop up the closer we get to deer season. If you hold out long enough you might have a late season tag pop. When’s the last season like beginning of January. Still so much time for Fcfs

Last edited:
Don’t see much for myself because I’m almost speciesed out.
Under my wife and daughters acts I see a bunch. I’ve been lax on looking recently tho. Planning a hunt.
muzzy lope tags
Muzzy deer tags
ALW deer
ALW spike elk
Cow tags
ALW bull that 051 would have been sweet but conflicting hunting dates
Most are up in northern Nv
Few down south 11s 26s
I really think your going to see more pop up the closer we get to deer season. If you hold out long enough you might have a late season tag pop. When’s the last season like beginning of January. Still so much time for Fcfs
LOL nice!

I've only had the ALW antelope and now ALW mule deer tag. Still waiting for the cow elk tag that I want.

I'm on the pronghorn waiting list and have a deer tag this year......will those tags not show up for me??

I'm on the pronghorn waiting list and have a deer tag this year......will those tags not show up for me??
I don’t believe so because I’ve only seen eligible tags pop.
the only ineligible I saw was a youth tag at the very beginning in a yellow color other than the usual green.
I don’t see species I’ve already acquired a tag for.
At least for me …

Nope. Deer and antelope are coming up on the girlfriends login but not mine and I have both. So assuming if you aren’t eligible you won’t get the pop up.

I didn’t get the cow tag. Holding out for an area I know.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom