First come first serve details?

Are there certain days or times they post tags?
I see more in the middle of the night especially on weekdays and your chance of getting one is better because most normal people are asleep! Ha I have google luck in the daily hrs of 9pm -2am. During the day there’s so many people logged in your chances of even seeing a tag drop dramatically
Also more seam to pop on the pc than mobile devices for me.
It’s like hunting. The longer you stay on the mountain the more you should see. Don’t hunt when most are hunting. Chances improve drastically!

good luck!!

@Simple man very true about the middle of the night! I work 4pm to 4am and see quite a few during my workday.

My only gripe with the system is once you have a tag added to your cart you can’t see the hunting unit or dates.

Will offer my services. $100 to get you a tag (I will need to login to your account). You give me the tags you are interested in. If I get one, I keep the $100. If I don’t, I’ll refund $50.

:D

Good Lord...now I know what you guys are talking about. I watched a a cow elk tag come up this morning and in the time it took for my brain to tell my finger to click on it, it was gone.

Either someone was faster on the draw at 2 AM or the hackers have finally found a way to script a bot that adds tags to their cart. lol

Good Lord...now I know what you guys are talking about. I watched a a cow elk tag come up this morning and in the time it took for my brain to tell my finger to click on it, it was gone.

Either someone was faster on the draw at 2 AM or the hackers have finally found a way to script a bot that adds tags to their cart. lol
Not hackers. Just hungry humans.
Got my girlfriend a deer tag yesterday for 22! Had her laptop setup with her account and the iPad on mine. We missed 2 area 13 tags for her (to match mine). 22 is close enough and I know the area.

Got my girlfriend a deer tag yesterday for 22! Had her laptop setup with her account and the iPad on mine. We missed 2 area 13 tags for her (to match mine). 22 is close enough and I know the area.
Good luck! I go shooting on BLM land out there and my lady asked last time we were driving back why we never get tags in that unit cause it’s so close to town haha.

Apparently there are people just putting tags into their cart and letting them go. I have periodically logged into my wife's account just to see what pops up.

Scrolled down to see a new FAQ at the bottom of the page, which was not there when I copied and pasted the FAQ's a few weeks ago. Funny how people will try to find ways to manipulate a system, and I am not sure for what good.

20210929_092043.jpg

Picked up an area 13 muley tag. Took 5 failed attempts on other tags but last night was a winner.

Apparently there are people just putting tags into their cart and letting them go. I have periodically logged into my wife's account just to see what pops up.

I was about to make a post about that. I suspect some folks just blindly click on a tag knowing that they have exactly 5 minutes before it gets yanked by the system. They use those 5 minutes to call friends or family, ask for opinions, research the unit, etc. lol

You're right. I did not see that FAQ entry a few days ago. Looks like NDOW took notice of the abandoned carts.

Haha. I didn't add it to my cart, as I'm logged into my wife's account. Refreshed the page and it was gone. Weird how it shows the green refreshing tag, but the tag still showed available. I am not going to add any tags to my cart, just in for amusement more than anything.

I have a hearing today via zoom. Been sitting in waiting since 0830. ?

Nothing better to do than watch ndowlicensing.com and troll mm.

Haha

Scrolled down to see a new FAQ at the bottom of the page, which was not there when I copied and pasted the FAQ's a few weeks ago. Funny how people will try to find ways to manipulate a system, and I am not sure for what good.

View attachment 53565
More than likely some folks have developed a script to just sit there and auto add any tag that pops up, allowing those who use it to just filter through tags choosing what they want.... hopefully they hold true to their word of banning people.

Keep at it. I missed out on at least 5 tags by clicking just a second too slow. Finally snagged one last night
would you mind telling me what time of the night you had tags pop up roughly? late pm or early AM? ive watched the dang thing for 8 hours straight and havent seen a single tag come up, whats weird is i used to.. i snagged a dep cow elk for my dad in august but now im not seeing anything, trying to grab him a deer tag since everyone got skunked except for me, trying to figure out if my end is glitched or im just not waiting long enough, i used to see all kinds of tags and let em go.

would you mind telling me what time of the night you had tags pop up roughly? late pm or early AM? ive watched the dang thing for 8 hours straight and havent seen a single tag come up, whats weird is i used to.. i snagged a dep cow elk for my dad in august but now im not seeing anything, trying to grab him a deer tag since everyone got skunked except for me, trying to figure out if my end is glitched or im just not waiting long enough, i used to see all kinds of tags and let em go.
Sure thing. I logged in (from my phone) around 11 pm Pacific and saw mule deer tags pop up all the way until 2 am (roughly 6 tags total) which is when I logged out. I saw an Area 10 tag show up three times. I was reading a book and picking up my phone every so often.

For the tag that I managed to get, I got lucky and was holding the phone in my hand when it showed up. I clicked on it so aggressively I dang near dropped my phone.

The day before, I would see tags during the day (between 8am - 2pm) but they were few and far between.

Sure thing. I logged in (from my phone) around 11 pm Pacific and saw mule deer tags pop up all the way until 2 am (roughly 6 tags total) which is when I logged out. I saw an Area 10 tag show up three times. I was reading a book and picking up my phone every so often.

For the tag that I managed to get, I got lucky and was holding the phone in my hand when it showed up. I clicked on it so aggressively I dang near dropped my phone.

The day before, I would see tags during the day (between 8am - 2pm) but they were few and far between.
Thanks, ive stayed up a bit later (12:46 AM) and finally saw a deer tag 011-013. too far away for us to hunt, hopefully some 6,7,10's show up.

Without time to sit around and watch your computer screen I guess you are out of this game.

Interesting that so many top tags were turned in this year. Sheep, moose, Mtn Goat for multiple states. Due to Covid? Or better reissueing by the states?

I tried to get a tag last night around 8 pm pacific time, it was gone in a second. Unit 71-79 and 91 just couldn't tap my phone fast enough. I stay logged in all day or whenever I can. Maybe I will stay up tonight log in and try to snag a tag. There is no time to think about it or research the tag you just got to hope it is a good one.

Without time to sit around and watch your computer screen I guess you are out of this game.

Interesting that so many top tags were turned in this year. Sheep, moose, Mtn Goat for multiple states. Due to Covid? Or better reissueing by the states?
Yeah, unfortunately it seems to be the only way. Just need to sit there and stare at your screen. As per your question as to why these top tags are getting turned in, yeah, I think Covid may have some part in it.

According to a couple of friends who turned in their tags, they just simply couldn't make the trip due to budget and personal issues that came up at the last minute.

I've seen this tag show up twice so far. I assume someone gets the tag in there cart and then decide they don't want it.
I thought the same thing with the Area 10 tag that showed up three times in one night. Either they were three separate tags, or the same one recycled back into the system after being abandoned in carts.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems to be the only way. Just need to sit there and stare at your screen. As per your question as to why these top tags are getting turned in, yeah, I think Covid may have some part in it.

According to a couple of friends who turned in their tags, they just simply couldn't make the trip due to budget and personal issues that came up at the last minute.
Drought is another consideration for many of us - lots of guys are saying this is not a great antler growth year. I’ve got a good tag that I may turn in for that reason.

For those of you that are seeing all these tags, are you all residents? I know the FAQ on the FCFS page says the tags become residency agnostic but I’m starting to wonder if they changed that, screenshots of tags have been showing Res Mule Deer. I last saw a muzzleloader mule deer tag on the night of 9/1 into 9/2. Otherwise I haven’t had a thing pop for a month

For those of you that are seeing all these tags, are you all residents? I know the FAQ on the FCFS page says the tags become residency agnostic but I’m starting to wonder if they changed that, screenshots of tags have been showing Res Mule Deer. I last saw a muzzleloader mule deer tag on the night of 9/1 into 9/2. Otherwise I haven’t had a thing pop for a month
Because the person posting a screnshot is a resident, and are logged into their account, so it shows up as a resident tag.

Drought is another consideration for many of us - lots of guys are saying this is not a great antler growth year. I’ve got a good tag that I may turn in for that reason.
There are plenty of pictures on this board and others of very nice bucks. Also the drought doesn't necessarily affect antler growth because it has more to do with the health of the mother at the time of birth than the current conditions, so unless you know exactly when a deer was born and know who his mother is, its impossible to say.

Have you not found any good bucks in your scouting trips?

I've been in 242 hunting hard since Sept 10. I have til this Sunday. That's over 20 days straight so far, and I could of killed 1 buck. I haven't seen a buck while hunting, in 9 days. I've been putting over 50 miles a day on the side x and glassing long and hard. It's kinda disappointing and I'm missing a utah hunt that started yesterday. Thankfully I'm not a quitter.

There are plenty of pictures on this board and others of very nice bucks. Also the drought doesn't necessarily affect antler growth because it has more to do with the health of the mother at the time of birth than the current conditions, so unless you know exactly when a deer was born and know who his mother is, its impossible to say.

Have you not found any good bucks in your scouting trips?
No doubt there are a few big bucks and bulls around even on a crazy dry year like this one but not as many as in a normal or wet year. I’m not sure I’ve seen any “very nice bucks” - maybe one or two. Perhaps we have different definitions.

No, I would have to strongly disagree - the current years antler growth is much more dependent on this years feed/nutrition (read winter and summer moisture) than the bucks mother. This has been shown repeatedly over many years by biologists and researchers and is now accepted as fact.

No, haven’t seen any decent bucks yet in my unit and I have several friends who say the same thing in other Nevada units. Not a great year for antler growth.

Last edited:
This is interesting. I have two tabs open at the moment - one for my account and one for my son’s. A spike elk tag just came up in my son’s and it was a full second maybe two before it popped up in my tab. Then of course someone grabbed it and it was gone from both within a few more seconds.

Why should it matter what time of day it is to see more or less tags? If its truly random and 100% equitable to all, every tag that becomes available should be seen by all regardless if 10,000 are watching or 10.

Sure, actually getting the tag is a different story however all should see it.

I believe a tags are queued to a segment of watchers in a rotation…say 25% blocks. Prevents system crash maybe or blazing fast connections closer to the server location are carting them and others never see them.

Changes will be coming next year.

Why should it matter what time of day it is to see more or less tags? If its truly random and 100% equitable to all, every tag that becomes available should be seen by all regardless if 10,000 are watching or 10.

I believe a tags are queued to a segment of watchers in a rotation…say 25% blocks. Prevents system crash maybe or blazing fast connections closer to the server location are carting them and others never see them.

I have seen lots of tags at normal hours. Did see some early AM when I wake up for work at 4am. I had chances at Bull Elk, Pronghorn, (didn't want to burn my points on those) and cow tags. I picked up a FCFS spike tag at 6:45pm Tuesday night.

There will most likely be another influx this weekend into next week for the Oct. 5 openers.

I don't think they will change much on this system but possibly the sheep tags.

There’s apparently something going on. My observation above that they are not showing up simultaneously in all accounts proves that. This explains why some may see a tag and others may not. In any event, this shows that your chances of seeing and grabbing one should be higher when there are fewer people watching for them (middle of the night).

There’s apparently something going on. My observation above that they are not showing up simultaneously in all accounts proves that. This explains why some may see a tag and others may not. In any event, this shows that your chances of seeing and grabbing one should be higher when there are fewer people watching for them (middle of the night).
i dont know what but i think something is up with the system for sure, im only seeing maybe 1 or 2 tags every 4-5 hours, last month i saw three times that on mine and my brothers account, now only his is showing the tags with them both open at the same time, same connection, distance to server etc. neither of us have purchased a FCFS tag, only my dad, maybe just so many people trying to snag a tag the system is overloaded, every tag is not being seen by every account 100% of the time, sometimes it does.. sometimes it doesnt.. kinda gets rid of the whole "first come first serve" but i cant complain this is a great addition and i know it should only improve with time, NDOW is doing the best they can.

Last edited:
i dont know what but i think something is up with the system for sure, im only seeing maybe 1 or 2 tags every 4-5 hours, last month i saw three times that on mine and my brothers account, now only his is showing the tags with them both open at the same time, same connection, distance to server etc. neither of us have purchased a FCFS tag, only my dad, maybe just so many people trying to snag a tag the system is overloaded, every tag is not being seen by every account 100% of the time, sometimes it does.. sometimes it doesnt.. kinda gets rid of the whole "first come first serve" but i cant complain this is a great addition and i know it should only improve with time, NDOW is doing the best they can.
It's so hit and miss..... We've been on there a lot. At times, we would see a tag every hour. Other times, every 12 hours.

We've picked up 3 tags so far though and probably could've had more if I went after them.

081 muzzy
i was just in 081 scouting.. Sep 30th, have the youth tag and its my last one and have never even hunted it before, i saw very nice bucks over 170, And thats the resident herd.. wait till November and the rut comes around and some of those other deer move in, maybe your not looking in the right places? or have you not even been out yet?, you would really turn in a late season deer tag in a historically great unit?, i mean go ahead im sure lots of people would love to chase deer in the peak of the rut, in a unit with 78% 4x4 or greater harvest rate:), dont mean to pick at you to hard, but geez.. little stunned someone would give that tag up.

Last edited:
i was just in 081 scouting.. Sep 30th, have the youth tag and its my last one and have never even hunted it before, i saw very nice bucks over 170, And thats the resident herd.. wait till November and the rut comes around and some of those other deer move in, maybe your not looking in the right places? or have you not even been out yet?, you would really turn in a late season deer tag in a historically great unit?, i mean go ahead im sure lots of people would love to chase deer in the peak of the rut, in a unit with 78% 4x4 or greater harvest rate:), dont mean to pick at you to hard, but geez.. little stunned someone would give that tag up.
Even on a good year - which this is not - I haven’t seen many deer taken in that unit that I’d be happy with. Lots of average deer. I’m not interested in any old 4x4. Yes, I’ve spent several days this summer in the unit and haven’t seen one I’d take. No doubt, most of the deer move in but they’re moving in from areas just as dry. I’ll prob see what we can turn up in the two weeks before the season before I make a decision. Good luck on your hunt!

I've been in 242 hunting hard since Sept 10. I have til this Sunday. That's over 20 days straight so far, and I could of killed 1 buck. I haven't seen a buck while hunting, in 9 days. I've been putting over 50 miles a day on the side x and glassing long and hard. It's kinda disappointing and I'm missing a utah hunt that started yesterday. Thankfully I'm not a quitter.
No stopping you
?

Even on a good year - which this is not - I haven’t seen many deer taken in that unit that I’d be happy with. Lots of average deer. I’m not interested in any old 4x4. Yes, I’ve spent several days this summer in the unit and haven’t seen one I’d take. No doubt, most of the deer move in but they’re moving in from areas just as dry. I’ll prob see what we can turn up in the two weeks before the season before I make a decision. Good luck on your hunt!
What's your idea of average if you don't me asking?, Thanks and if you decide to hunt.. good luck to you as well.

It's totally okay and always up to the hunter to decide what caliber of buck he wants to shoot, I just figured on a unit like that that's pretty hard to draw and better then average harvest quality (there is no other unit in Nevada with better 4x4 or greater harvest it has the most 5x5 and 6x6 harvest aswell) that data is all from NDOW, and during the rut (which makes it fun by itself) why go out with nothing?, Unless you don't like deer meat haha, sure you'll get your points back if you return it before the first day of the season.. but there's no guarantee you'll draw it again unless you have a decent amount of points stacked up..so I guess I don't understand that, but I can respect it.

Last edited:
What's your idea of average if you don't me asking?, Thanks and if you decide to hunt.. good luck to you as well.
Average buck - you know, the kind you can find with a little effort in most areas (and maybe a little luck in the wrong areas) - up to 25” wide 4x4 that will score up to 170” or so.

It's totally okay and always up to the hunter to decide what caliber of buck he wants to shoot, I just figured on a unit like that that's pretty hard to draw and better then average harvest quality (there is no other unit in Nevada with better 4x4 or greater harvest it has the most 5x5 and 6x6 harvest aswell) that data is all from NDOW, and during the rut (which makes it fun by itself) why go out with nothing?, Unless you don't like deer meat haha, sure you'll get your points back if you return it before the first day of the season.. but there's no guarantee you'll draw it again unless you have a decent amount of points stacked up..so I guess I don't understand that, but I can respect it.
I certainly see what you’re saying. Wouldn’t make much sense if I were just interested in hunting, didn’t burn too many points and like deer meat. But the freezers are full of elk and sheep, I had a pile of points (and would likely draw again next year) and am not looking to hunt for an average deer.

I certainly see what you’re saying. Wouldn’t make much sense if I were just interested in hunting, didn’t burn too many points and like deer meat. But the freezers are full of elk and sheep, I had a pile of points (and would likely draw again next year) and am not looking to hunt for an average deer.
?, 170 is about the top end we saw, if we find a few that are over that I'll gladly let you know and pass on whatever info I have, there was a 212" buck killed there last year I just can't remember which outfitter it was. So you never know.

You see the health ping
Even if you have multiple tabs open every tab will hit/be at a different time/sec ping that’s why they hit at different times even if they hit across the board.

2B4AE47B-6EA2-47FB-A7EB-CC8365F3443B.png

I’m trying to add a tag that just showed up and it’s been saying adding to cart (with the progress bar constantly moving) for about 15 minutes now. Is this a glitch or is their way of saying that i was too slow?

I’m trying to add a tag that just showed up and it’s been saying adding to cart (with the progress bar constantly moving) for about 15 minutes now. Is this a glitch or is their way of saying that i was too slow?
I've never experienced that behavior. For the most part when I click on a tag, I get a big middle finger right away indicating that I was too slow. The add-to-cart function (if in fact you were successful) should take about two seconds (give or take).

I suspect that transaction has since gone stale because even if you were successful, you have only have 5 minutes to pay for the tag before it gets yanked from your cart and thrown back into the queue.

Quick edit - if the progress bar continues to move, you know what, just leave it alone and let it time out on its own. In the off-chance the system recovers, it may just add the tag to your cart.

Sounds like a glitch, I've never had that one happen before.

Thanks. I sent a message and photo to their support email. I also have a video. I will see what they say.

Thanks. I sent a message and photo to their support email. I also have a video. I will see what they say.
Same thing happened to me last night it said something like validating license check and then timed out in five minutes. I have a license already so not sure what was happening.

It means you got put in the penalty box for carting too many tags..Jack dont like the competative edge you'all been using to cart tags. He says he is going to shut it down if it keeps happening.
FCFS RULE #1: Do not talk about FCFS

I wasn’t put in the penalty box, as that was my first ever attempt at putting anything in my cart.

But I agree about your FCFS Rule #1.

The above is just one of many FCFS glitches.

Jack’s “penalty box” is when all tags show up in the color gray and state “ineligible”. And you get this “Suspicious Activity Suspension” message telling you to call in. The phone number mentioned goes straight to Jack’s work cell phone.

Everyone – please ensure you complete the transaction if you add a tag to cart. You end up on Jack’s naughty list – and you’re going to get FCFS shut down.

And now, I will return to heeding Rule #1 above.

Screenshot_20211012-003125_Gallery.jpg

Problem: returned tags with little time to re-issue (too little time for a government employee anyway).

Possible Solutions that run through the heads of Tony & Jack:
  1. Bake extra tags in to your quotas
  2. Issue an extra tag next year if warranted
  3. Issue a no-bid $500K contract to your friends at Kalkomey to write FCFS software. Kalkomey writes a bot-prone, bug filled piece of software so that all your friends in the tag application services industry can easily automate ram & bull tag acquisition for their highest paying clients.
Only #3 ensures that Tony and Jack have solid post NDOW jobs waiting for them at Kalkomey or one of tag app services (HuntinFool, WTA Tags, EpicOutdoors, etc..). Do you really think the tag applicaton companies didn't have their automation running within days of FCFS launching? They have tech guys on staff that could do this in hours.The grunt employees don't know about it. But the principals at these companies have JimmyJohn, Denny and others ready to go for 11/6 and 11/20 opening days...

Those guys are going ram hunting on 11/20/2021 - they just don't know which Nevada unit just yet.

A blend of options 1 & 2 is what every other state would do (and has done).

Tony and Jack used your licensing dollars to make this happen.

Problem: returned tags with little time to re-issue (too little time for a government employee anyway).

Possible Solutions that run through the heads of Tony & Jack:
  1. Bake extra tags in to your quotas
  2. Issue an extra tag next year if warranted
  3. Issue a no-bid $500K contract to your friends at Kalkomey to write FCFS software. Kalkomey writes a bot-prone, bug filled piece of software so that all your friends in the tag application services industry can easily automate ram & bull tag acquisition for their highest paying clients.
Only #3 ensures that Tony and Jack have solid post NDOW jobs waiting for them at Kalkomey or one of tag app services (HuntinFool, WTA Tags, EpicOutdoors, etc..). Do you really think the tag applicaton companies didn't have their automation running within days of FCFS launching? They have tech guys on staff that could do this in hours.The grunt employees don't know about it. But the principals at these companies have JimmyJohn, Denny and others ready to go for 11/6 and 11/20 opening days...

Those guys are going ram hunting on 11/20/2021 - they just don't know which Nevada unit just yet.

A blend of options 1 & 2 is what every other state would do (and has done).

Tony and Jack used your licensing dollars to make this happen.
Point to the doll to show me where they touched you.

I know a few people who have obtained tags in fcfs, including a few in this thread.

And Jack does watch these threads.

I've dealt with them for many years. They're good people. Nobody is perfect, and this is the first year with this program, so I am sure modifications will happen.

But damn...

Relax man.

I like the new system and think that they have done a good job with the implementation. When I had a question, they responded timely.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom