First day

wybighorn

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-12 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-12 AT 02:08?PM (MST)

Where to begin!?!? My son played football over the Labor Day weekend so our annual bow hunt was put on hold. He begged me to go because this would be his first elk hunt. I was very reluctant due to fuel costs (4.19 for Diesel! Wow!), distance to my hunting spot, and most especially time. However, I'm a hunting junkie and by early Monday morning my son and I were hiking in the dark to our favorite spot. A mile or so into our hike we glassed up a small herd of elk with two bulls, velvet covered spikes. We carefully made our stalk and closed the distance to about 100 yards. We set up and started calling. With in about 5 minutes one of the spikes was headed our way. He stood broadside at 14 yards and somehow (I have no idea how) he missed!!!! Needless to say, Austin (my son) was devastated. It was his first chance at a bull elk and the spike walked away completely unaware of what had just happened.
After a short talk, a good laugh (By me? :) how can you miss at that distance?!), and a disappointed young man. We continued hunting. We put a few more miles in and were soon calling again. A bull elk soon responded and within minutes I
could see the sway of antlers through the pines. I remember thinking WOW! That's one of those bigger six points we've seen! Austin settled in and anchored the bull at 50 yds. His shot was perfect, a double lung pass through! I was ecstatic! This was my son?s first day hunting elk and he shot at two bulls and killed a six point that most men (including me) only dream of! This 300-class bull was shot on public land (National Forest) on an over the counter tag by a13 year-old! Congrats bud! I'm proud of you! Sometimes it's good to miss!

9169img_1105.jpg

9152img_1136.jpg

5769img_1154.jpg

1919img_1173.jpg

Probably THE Best Trophy and story I have ever seen on here!! Congrats Austin!!

Wybighorn is truly one of the best fathers I know. He takes his kids out with him every chance he gets. When his youngest one could barely talk he was already hooked. He couldn't say much, but he could say "BUCK! BUCK!, when he spotted one. And he did know how to spot them. Most the time before anyone else would. We would go out spotting and this little guy would pack a BB gun around like he was the Great White Hunter. We're heading back up next weekend and hopefully Wybighorn will get a chance at a big bull. He's earned it. A big congratulations to both Austin and Wy.

Congrats to Austin and yourself. Watching your kids have success is the best. I'm sure its the first of many. Now, shouldn't you be working like the rest of us schmucks? I haven't seen a pic of your deer from last year on here, how about it? Congrats again. Do you have a big bill coming in the future? That has to go on the wall, doesn't it?

That last pic is priceless!Great for you and your young man to enjoy a great time together,I know the feeling too.It will be something that you enjoy for the rest of your life.Thanks for sharing and congrats to you both.

Nice job Austin, Good looking bull.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom