First Lite Customer Service = GARBAGE

Bigwiffy

Very Active Member
Long story short I was gifted a pair of Obsisdian merino pants which retail for $180 with tax close to $200 pants. After a couple minimal uses this past fall I was sitting on an elk wallow.

I felt a breeze coming into my crotch as the sun went down. I figured l had left my zipper down. I glanced down and the entire crotch of my $200 pants had ripped out at the seam.

I put an iron on patch on them to get me through the fall and am now just dealing with First Lite customer service. I didn't have an original purchase email since they were a gift. First Lite has told me I am **** out of luck and NOTHING can be done. No exchange, refund, in store credit just "Sorry nothing can be done"

This might save one of you the headache of doing business with a company that WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. My $20 5 year old Wranglers from Wal-Mart have held up better than a supposedly premium brand of First Lite. Don't waste your money, lots of better options out there. Pnuma, Sitka, Asio, Kings to name a few that stand behind their product.

Hope this may save someone frustration, disappointment, and some money.

Last edited:
damn especially breaking at a seam! maybe you can figure out who got ya the pants and have them send it in?

I have had nothing but issues with the lightweight first light stuff, both pants and the merino boxers. The crotch on the same pants and both boxers ripped out in no time, maybe 20/30 days worn or less I bet. First Lite is the only brand that I have had that issue with. They are first for sure, first to tear apart. Love their thin merino shirts, but you have to be careful with them.

If they were a gift talk to the person who gifted them to you and get the receipt. I’ve had nothing but good luck with all the name brand companies when it comes to warranty issues.

anything merino is not going to be a great outer layer. its just not tuff enough. i love merino and its what my base layers are but an outer layer really needs to be synthetic for anything more then glassing from the truck

I wear merino through alders and the thickest brush you’ll find and I’ve never had a problem. What the hell you guys walking through that you’re tearing gear up?

Naturally, when First Lite was acquired by Meat Eater, the customer service went from industry leading to nonexistent. I touted First Lite's customer service prior to their acquisition. Your story is sadly the norm now.

Blew out the crotch on 2 pairs of the obsidian merinos, they issued refunds no problem and after the second time they suggest I try the foundry pants, I will say the foundry merinos are great, much better cut, and have stretchy material in the crotch. I will say some of their items seem to wear out pretty darn quick for the price. I have a lot of FL since I’ve bought at a discount, but now Sitka offers a solid discount for first responders&vets so I’m sure I’ll pick up some of their stuff. I’m going a lot more towards solids these days any how, and don’t have much loyalty to any of these brands.

I bought a few items years ago when they first started. Merino wool boxers, vest, and long sleeve shirts. Still have them all and have been very happy with them. Quality must have really dropped.

The Sitka pro discount is nice and then once a year they let you make one order at an additional discount, at least I was able to the last two years. Makes it a good deal for what you get, and I am finally about done with cloths for awhile. Like everyone else, I wear about 20 percent of crap that gets packed in the truck. They are making more solids which is great so you can wear them for daily use. I have a little of several brands, just got of those kuiu lightweight merino hoodies last year. I love that thing.

Honestly if you’re blowing out the crotch on your pants try using a belt. The majority of the time if you tear the pants there it’s because they are too loose and are hanging low. It doesn’t matter the brand, they will blow out there if you don’t wear them properly.

Bought thermal base layer last year. The button on the top ripped out the first time I tried it on. Button is a real piece of ****. I contacted customer service and was told that if I paid for shipping both ways($60) they'd fix it. I said I can take it to a seamstress and have a real button sewn on for less. The response was, "then that's what you should do." I'll never buy first lite again.

On a serious note I've worn Walmart Wrangler flex pants for years and a ton of other different brands, makes, fabrics and have never had any of them just fall apart like First Lites did. None of them cost a quarter of what First Lite wants. I think they are made of lantern mantles.

On a serious note I've worn Walmart Wrangler flex pants for years and a ton of other different brands, makes, fabrics and have never had any of them just fall apart like First Lites did. None of them cost a quarter of what First Lite wants. I think they are made of lantern mantles.
Do you think anyone working at first lite knows what a lantern mantle is? you're dating yourself.

Do you think anyone working at first lite knows what a lantern mantle is? you're dating yourself.
Haha true. I remember driving around as a kid with my Dad turkey hunting, listening to Paul Harvey tell "The Rest of the Story" on the radio of his Chevy Luv diesel pup pickup about how a Coleman lantern was invented.

Take me back to those days!

"Now you know........the rest of the story"

Last edited:
It seems odd they won’t give you another pair, they throw them around in Hailey like their candy. I went into their new flagship store and was really surprised at all the product. I bought two pair of the Kuiu with knee pads for work in construction and they are indestructible, I wore them almost everyday for a year and finally snagged one on a nail and made a small rip and patched it. I just bought 2 more pairs for this year
45C54ACB-603E-4912-B26D-5871B5224B56.jpeg

Long story short I was gifted a pair of Obsisdian merino pants which retail for $180 with tax close to $200 pants. After a couple minimal uses this past fall I was sitting on an elk wallow.

I felt a breeze coming into my crotch as the sun went down. I figured l had left my zipper down. I glanced down and the entire crotch of my $200 pants had ripped out at the seam.

I put an iron on patch on them to get me through the fall and am now just dealing with First Lite customer service. I didn't have an original purchase email since they were a gift. First Lite has told me I am **** out of luck and NOTHING can be done. No exchange, refund, in store credit just "Sorry nothing can be done"

This might save one of you the headache of doing business with a company that WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. My $20 5 year old Wranglers from Wal-Mart have held up better than a supposedly premium brand of First Lite. Don't waste your money, lots of better options out there. Pnuma, Sitka, Asio, Kings to name a few that stand behind their product.

Hope this may save someone frustration, disappointment, and some money.
I've had two pairs of Obsidian Merino pants do that same thing. I've had both good and bad experiences with the customer service from First Lite. However, I haven't been happy with the quality of First Lite and it's life span. Consequently, I starting replacing my gear with Kuiu and I have been much happier. I've replaced my Obsidian pants for Attack pants from Kuiu. So far, (2 hunting seasons) I've been very happy with them.

I have had similar experiences with the merino pants and boxers. All ripped after 2-3 uses and they basically said too bad. Haven’t bought any first lite since

There are first lite guys all over this site, but not one of them have balls to step up and answer these questions or replace your cheap pants.

Kuiu disappointed me lately as well. Have to mail all repairs( on your dime) to an outside repair business in Oregon. I had my broken bac pac AT the Calif store. Nope, mail it. I tried at the USPS, over 50$ oversizd. Garbage way of treating a customer in my opinion. Rude CS guy as well, won't return my VM, prob because I threatened to **** can everything Kuiu. Other returns I've had with companies have sent me postage invoices to get warranty service. Wish they would have helped me out in person, at the store. New normal I guess?

Great great grandpa Jebediah Wiffy didn't need any of those fancy clothes when he went hunting.
Rumor has it he could eat a whole moose hind quarter in one sitting.

View attachment 97614
Papaw Jeb! I watched him eat 38 chili dogs at Mom's Cafe in Salina. When he was done he stepped outside to relieve himself.......killed 3 people in Richfield when the stink hit them.

He was one of a kind!

Well, if I remember right, your Pa used to fart in a jar, then seal it up, put a bow on it and give it to neighbors as a Christmas present!
Maybe that's the source of the weak crotch...

One area buy once, cry once does not apply is Hunting clothing. Yes late season you need good warmth. And hunting in general you need a good pair of boots. But Walmart and Costco supply most of my set up.
With clothing it’s buy once cry twice. Cry at bank statement, cry when it’s breaks first season.

I actually didn’t buy any “ hunting” clothes for many years. It’s 95% gimmick trash. There’s been a backpacking and mountaineering industry out there for a lot longer then most of the high tech hunting companies and they’ve had it figured out about what gear needs to go through without worrying about a catchy pattern over quality .

I held out on kuiu for a long time but the attack pants I’ve had the last few seasons do seem to be legit so I’ll stick with those for a while. And there super down pro is the warmest coat I e ever owned. Still though, most if my stuff is granola cruncher gear in solids. And I e had a lot of it for a long time

I actually didn’t buy any “ hunting” clothes for many years. It’s 95% gimmick trash. There’s been a backpacking and mountaineering industry out there for a lot longer then most of the high tech hunting companies and they’ve had it figured out about what gear needs to go through without worrying about a catchy pattern over quality .

I held out on kuiu for a long time but the attack pants I’ve had the last few seasons do seem to be legit so I’ll stick with those for a while. And their super down pro is the warmest coat I e ever owned. Still though, most if my stuff is granola cruncher gear in solids. And I e had a lot of it for a long time
I’m not sure if I would call it a gimmick. And honestly if you catch the sales right or can get a pro deal kuiu, first lite etc are cheaper than the “granola” cruncher stuff. In fact I’m seeing more non hunters wearing kuiu etc than ever before.

I think the majority of hunters can get by with any type of clothing. Blue jeans etc. there are not many hunters doing long extended trips away from a base camp/truck. But I know for a fact my gimmicky hunting gear matters and trumps everything else when you’re talking day 7 or straight **** weather. And knowing you have at least a few more days before you’re going to get out.

I wear a mix of brands and stay with the solids just because I work outside a lot too and wear my “hunting” clothing year round.

I spent 10 days in South Dakota sitting in a treestand trying to hunt in the polar vortex that hit in November. I came home fully convinced to upgrade my cold weather gear. I was leaning towards First Lite, but after this experience i realize there are much better options.

I've always been one to get by with decent stuff, until trying to archery hunt layered so heavy I couldn't draw my bow. Not sure what's "the best" stuff for late season whitetail hunting, but it for sure isn't First Lite.

I spent 10 days in South Dakota sitting in a treestand trying to hunt in the polar vortex that hit in November. I came home fully convinced to upgrade my cold weather gear. I was leaning towards First Lite, but after this experience i realize there are much better options.

I've always been one to get by with decent stuff, until trying to archery hunt layered so heavy I couldn't draw my bow. Not sure what's "the best" stuff for late season whitetail hunting, but it for sure isn't First Lite.
No better insulator than fat.

Not sure about the rest of you. But if I am sitting for a long time glassing I will get cold in freezing weather. Don’t know how anyone could sit in a tree stand all day without some sort of heated jump suit/clothing.

How about getting those clothes off in the tree stand, so you can release the angry inch to relieve yourself.

I’ve got all the technical stuff from kuiu, Sitka and stone glacier. I love merino first layer and a down layer like the kuiu puffy pants and jacket, but when it’s truly badass cold I go for my carhartts as the final outer layer. Cotton is the best for some reason as a final outer layer. No good for active hunting but for ice fishing, stand sitting etc it can’t be beat.

I had a pair of Firstlite pants tear as well as a belt loop break. For me they exchanged them with a brand new pair. The person I spoke with was great. I understand there are some good as well as some poor experiences. Just want to say it's not all bad there. I like their cloths, First Lite is my current favorite.

I wear the foundry obsidian wool pants chukar hunting and have never had a problem. Haven’t dealt with customer service yet though and I hope it’ll be a good experience when I do because like many of you, I feel customer service is as important as the gear.

I will chat with customer service once the staff is back in the office for the holidays. Sorry to hear about that. I agree with the above statements, and the obsidian foundrys holdup much better. I usually use the corrugate guide pants for archery elk. Very durable.

I think I am the only FL employee on here. If anyone needs any help don't hesitate to hit me up

I knew Elkboy would show up, he’s not customer service but I will bet if you do reach out to him, he will help you or get the customer service team on this problem. You ever get up to Hailey Idaho, Elkboy runs the new First Lite Flagship store and is a good hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom