First score with muzzleloader

A

arkansastim

Hey everyone,

My dad and I had some doe permits to fill up here in Michigan. They were in the shotgun/muzzleloader zone so we grabbed the smokepoles. Niether one of us has ever really hunted with a muzzleloader. My dad was using my .50 cal T/C Black Diamond Millenium and I had my .54 cal Knight MK85. I followed some advice from Bluelk and had them shooting powerbelt bullets accurately. On the first evening, I heard my dad shoot. I was on my way over to help him when I jumped some deer. They ran into a swamp and thought they were hidden pretty well. One doe offered up a broadside shot, so I took it. I wasn't too far from my dad so I continued on to help him. The doe he shot came within about 35 yards and he put a powerbelt through both lungs...the deer ran about 75 yards. Nice clean kill. We went to look for the doe I shot at. It didn't take long to find blood. She had run only about 50 yards. My shot was a little far back, I had hit her through the liver. Later, I got out my laser range finder and determined my shot was 86 yards. We had filled our doe tags within 5 minutes of each other! Now we have some corn fed venison in the freezer!

The muzzleloaders performed flawlessly! I'm definitely hooked!

Thanks to all...especially Bluelk!

arkansastim: Hmmm, Hmmm some good eating coming up this winter! You are more than welcome for any help that was given. The name of the game in muzzleloading is that we all have to share whatever little pieces of knowledge we gain.

Tell you dad congratulations also, would you?

Congratulations to both of you! I remember my first ML deer like it was yesterday. You really aren't sure until you score that first one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom