First season and tags

tryptaview

This is my first year with a license and buying tags. thanks to my bank account being stimulated the same day as tags are released i was able to do all my renewals but had a couple questions. I got an elk draw app for lone pine second period, a bighorn sheep draw app for old dad mountains, a resident tag for deer in d11 and a resident tag for bear. I use a muzzleloader, CVA wolf with hornady sst sabots, 777 pellets and 209 primers (winchester). My forst question, is the $50 bear tag for any area? Is it a draw or just straight purchase that i need to plan for? Same question for the resident deer tag except i know its d11. If the bear tag is for any cali area what area do you recommend and what should i be doing to preapare? Thanks!

Bear tags are good for anywhere in the state, except certain counties or portions of counties not open to bear hunting. DFW has a map of areas open to bear hunting.

Lots of bears in this state, the beauty is it stays open late. Long season. I’ve never hunted d11 but hunt your ass off for deer and be looking for bears too. Hunt as hard and often as you can. The bear and deer tags will be mailed to you in a few days as said above they are not draws.

This is my first year with a license and buying tags. thanks to my bank account being stimulated the same day as tags are released i was able to do all my renewals but had a couple questions. I got an elk draw app for lone pine second period, a bighorn sheep draw app for old dad mountains, a resident tag for deer in d11 and a resident tag for bear. I use a muzzleloader, CVA wolf with hornady sst sabots, 777 pellets and 209 primers (winchester). My forst question, is the $50 bear tag for any area? Is it a draw or just straight purchase that i need to plan for? Same question for the resident deer tag except i know its d11. If the bear tag is for any cali area what area do you recommend and what should i be doing to preapare? Thanks!

Hey Tryptaview,

The first thing I would do to get ready is to change out your illegal Hornady SST‘s to Barnes TMZ or other another non-lead projectile?. Other than that, it sounds like you are good to go!

Good luck in the draw for sheep and elk. You might also want to submit an pronghorn application. Long odds on all three in the random draw for someone just starting out but someone has to draw.

Next year I would also recommend applying in the draw for an X zone tag in your area as your 1st choice in the drawing and listing D-11 as your second choice. That way, you have a chance of drawing a premium hunt and if you don’t you will still get your D-11 tag and also get a preference point to use towards future draws...

Horniac

Have they opened registration for the 2020 draw already? Just looked at the website and it still had all 2019 info listed.
I just went to the online license site and it had 2020 license renewals and draw tags for elk, deer, antelope, bighorn, fundraiser tags and SHARE hunts

Hey Tryptaview,

The first thing I would do to get ready is to change out your illegal Hornady SST‘s to Barnes TMZ or other another non-lead projectile?. Other than that, it sounds like you are good to go!

Good luck in the draw for sheep and elk. You might also want to submit an pronghorn application. Long odds on all three in the random draw for someone just starting out but someone has to draw.

Next year I would also recommend applying in the draw for an X zone tag in your area as your 1st choice in the drawing and listing D-11 as your second choice. That way, you have a chance of drawing a premium hunt and if you don’t you will still get your D-11 tag and also get a preference point to use towards future draws...

Horniac
Great tip on the x zone i appreciate it! I applied for everything else this evening haha might as well build points at the minimum. The SSTs i have are solid copper with a plastic tip

Great tip on the x zone i appreciate it! I applied for everything else this evening haha might as well build points at the minimum. The SSTs i have are solid copper with a plastic tip
You sure they are solid copper? They look like it from the outside, but unless there is a new version out they have a lead core with a copper jacket.

“The bullet is a 250 gr., .452 in. diameter flat base, round
heel, hollowpoint, copper-jacketed design, with a polymer
(FlexTip (tm) spire point; lead core.“

Horniac

You sure they are solid copper? They look like it from the outside, but unless there is a new version out they have a lead core with a copper jacket.

Horniac
Son of a bee sting your right. Man i got a lot to learn still. I just assumed they were straight copper

Horniac
Im used to target shooting an ar15 and just buying whatever sounds good off the shelf. Not used to all these regulations and fine print

Being from SoCal and hunting with a muzzleloader, I'd have looked at applying for the San Diego Muzzleloader or one of the other muzzleloader tags down there if I were you.

The bear tag is good for any open deer zone. We see a lot of bears in D8 and D7.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom