First Spot and stalk Bear Hunt

Dgu13

I am new to this forum but I have enjoyed the other posts and info. I drew a San Juan fall spot and stalk tag. This will be my first bear hunt. I have helped friends with bear bait tags but have never hunted bears myself. This hunt has a very low success rate. I have been out scouting and have yet to spot any bears. I have been going up high to glass. Any pointers on areas to start looking? Has anyone had any success using trail cams on a spot and stalk bear hunt? If so how are you setting them up and what are you setting them up over? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help.

Try burn areas or old logging roads to start google earth Or on X is a good way to find the burns

Bears are there. For sure. I have the multi season tag down there. And I can promise ya there are lots of bears. The key will be doing what you’re doing. Glass til ya find one and then make a move to try and kill him. There’s a reason the spot and stalk success rates are low. It’s not a cake walk. But keep after it. It’s dry and the oaks really got hammered in spots so the acorns that made it through will be a attraction for the bruins.

Great thanks guys! That’s some great advice! I will be going down a couple more times before the hunt to do some more scouting. I may try throwing out a salt lick and a cam just to see if I get any bears. I have heard some bears will follow elk and deer scent to the camera. Thanks again... I am up for the challenge. Any one know if higher or lower elevations would be better in mid September?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom