First time hunter for D7 or D8

silverstatehunter

Hey guys I am trying to help one of my friends get a tag this year, and really he just wants any buck. which unit is better for Quantity. D7 or D8 or anyother suggestions. I am an avid hunter and don't mind working hard to get him a buck but I don't live in Cali so I need a little help. Thanks a bunch

Well D7 is a zone that the big 260+ buck was shot in, see the post in this Cal forum. Good bucks if you look. A lot of country to hunt. D7 usually sells out before August. D8 never sells out so that should tell you what zone is better of the 2. Good luck.

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

There's only about 12 deer in all of D-8 and none of them are bucks :)

Piper, how's your period?

Zigga, it's past your bedtime!

Hdude, Jose needs a yob!

I SAW A 2007 D-8 BUCK THAT WAS A NON TYPICAL WITH A TOTAL OF 36 POINTS & VERY MASSIVE....(TAXI SHOP). THERE ARE SOME REAL STUDS OUT THERE........YD.

Thanks guys. He is just looking for a first time deer. I doubt he even passes a little forkie with milk on his lips. I just want him to have a fun hunt and plant the "hunting bug" so I have a die hard hunter as a friend.

Honestly Silver there really are no secret spots in d7. Many hunters, not a ton of bucks. Only way I know to kill one is go go go. A little weather doesn't hurt either.

Post up afterwards though. It would be fun to hear an opinion from a out of state hunter from Nevada about our silly little deer hunt.

Canyoncrosser, I hunt D8 or X10. The reason for that is I live in Lake Arrowhead in So Cal and it is a 3 hour drive from my house to D8. It would be a 6 hour to D7. Also I have a cabin in the heart of D8 so hunting out of the back of my cabin is a no brainer. If I had the money I would have a cabin up in D7 as well. I like the country in D7 better it is a little more open but D8 works for me. If you put in the time scouting and getting to know any zone you can kill bucks in any zone of Calif. I hunt D14, D8, and X10 all of these zone we have killed several bucks in and all these zones average some of the lowest kill percentage in the state from 5%-10%. We are on a 26 year success rate in D14. I only was stating info that I get from several guys I hunt with that get a D7 tag first then a D8 second tag. they hunt D7 untill they get a buck then head to D8 for a change of scenery. Anyone that wants to try D8 go for it. Hunt hard and hope you score. I am not trying to D8 for myself. We only see about 5 people a season where we hunt so 2 more guys in D8 wont matter to us. Good luck and I hope you score.

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

I was only teasin cause I have seen some of the nice bucks you and the mrs. have taken in the last few years. I would keep whatever I had going a secret if I was on bucks like those.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom