First time muley hunt

TwinHunter

Hello all!

I'm looking for opinions!
I've never hunted mule deer, It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I'm planning on 2021 season to attempt this bucket list hunt. If you were in my shoes what state would you choose? I've read and read and don't really know what to make of it all! I do plan on finding an guide. Any help and opinions would be appreciated! Looking forward to learning as much about these critters as possible. Seems to be some very helpful information on here!

Daniel

I would go to Colorado around Maybell
Area have a blast just glassing seeing all of the deer and you can find a ranch to hunt. Its a place that My dad and i would stay a couple extra days just to drive the fields to see how many bucks over 170? we could find usually around 20 and we had been lucky enough to have seen 4 over 200?

Twin,
As I see it, your biggest challenge is getting a tag. Most mule deer states have point systems for drawing tags, and if you have not been applying for bonus points, you limit your options. Obviously if you are willing to pay for a land owner tag, then you are still in the ball game.

If landowner tag is what you are talking about, then what type of hunt you want. Lodge, Horseback, Wilderness Backpack, etc. Then get on line and see what's available.

Colorado has more mule deer than any other state, but quality is going down fast. Wyoming has good deer numbers, but less private land hunts. I'd also look at Idaho, and maybe the outfitter draws in Nevada.
Obviously if you are looking for a big deer, then the price goes up, and the opportunities are limited. Most big deer live in limited entry units or hard to access country.

My recommendation would be for you to pin down possible places you want to go and at least apply for one bonus point this year.

Best of luck. I hope that helps some.

If you are going guided, I can't believe I'm saying this but Utah is pretty hard to beat. There are numerous private ranches with extended seasons, easy to get tags, and quality is very good. That being said it's going to cost you 7-11k. Canada would be another guided mule deer hunt I would have On my radar, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and eastern Colorado all have easier to get tags, for quality guided mule deer hunts. If it's me and I have no points, but have a little cash stash, I'm going to Utah or Canada.

>Twin,
>As I see it, your biggest
>challenge is getting a tag.
> Most mule deer states
>have point systems for drawing
>tags, and if you have
>not been applying for bonus
>points, you limit your options.
> Obviously if you are
>willing to pay for a
>land owner tag, then you
>are still in the ball
>game.
>
>If landowner tag is what you
>are talking about, then what
>type of hunt you want.
> Lodge, Horseback, Wilderness Backpack,
>etc. Then get on
>line and see what's available.
>
>
>Colorado has more mule deer than
>any other state, but quality
>is going down fast.
>Wyoming has good deer numbers,
>but less private land hunts.
> I'd also look at
>Idaho, and maybe the outfitter
>draws in Nevada.
>Obviously if you are looking for
>a big deer, then the
>price goes up, and the
>opportunities are limited. Most
>big deer live in limited
>entry units or hard to
>access country.
>
>My recommendation would be for you
>to pin down possible places
>you want to go and
>at least apply for one
>bonus point this year.
>
>Best of luck. I hope
>that helps some.

Yes sir, I agree with the tag situation. I'm trying to stay in 5-7k range. I like the idea of horse back or drop camp. I've strongly considered Colorado. But Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming have also sparked my interest. As far as guides go, I have now qlue how or what to trust. It's hard for me to hand over that kind money and find out they're liars! Lol the North Carolina redneck would come out me! Thanks for your opinion!

>If you are going guided, I
>can't believe I'm saying this
>but Utah is pretty hard
>to beat. There are numerous
>private ranches with extended seasons,
>easy to get tags, and
>quality is very good. That
>being said it's going to
>cost you 7-11k. Canada would
>be another guided mule deer
>hunt I would have On
>my radar, South Dakota, Nebraska,

I haven't thought about Canada! I looked at some
>Kansas and eastern Colorado all
>have easier to get tags,
>for quality guided mule deer
>hunts. If it's me
>and I have no points,
>but have a little cash
>stash, I'm going to Utah
>or Canada.

I haven't thought about Canada! I did look at few guides in Utah, but haven't physically talked to anyone in Utah. I'll do some more research! Thank you for your input!

Yes Maybel is great!I just got my results back POSITIVE for CWD ! And the great state of Colorado says....Tough Luck no refund for tag!

Never been on an outfitted deer hunt, but Wyoming has some general tags that can be drawn with no points.

What part of NC are you in? Been in TN for a long time, but my roots are in NC.

I see Wyoming was mentioned above , that's where I started and probably where I'll finish. I've hunted other places but if your going to hire a guide , a Wyoming rut hunt would be hard to beat. You?ll see them at their craziest time of year with plenty of excitement. You can come up with a tag easy enough , pm me if you'd like to know where to start. I'm no expert but I've hunted Wy for going on 25 yrs now.

Twin,

Eastern Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Idaho, Canada are all good options. Maybe Nebraska or the Dakota's. You can find something for your budget pretty easy.
As for the Maybell post/comment, you will see and shoot a deer up there, but it won't be close to 170".

Good luck,
hwy

As someone in a similar position to yourself, I'd recommend Wyoming or Nebraska for ease of getting a tag and hunting private land.

Thank you to everyone that has responded! Currently talking with Seven J outfitters in Sundance Wyoming and Scott outdoors in Nebraska. Anyone have any experience with them or know anything about em?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom