First-timers & wolves

mozey

Long Time Member
I took a couple first-time deer hunters out with me this past week to an area in 16 where I've seen decent numbers of deer the past several years. I was talking up this hunt quite a bit last year when I had them both attach to my application. But when I started scouting the area this past summer I sensed that something was different this year--just not seeing the same numbers of deer and zero fawns. And it wasn't just me--an outfitter that I talked with confirmed this year seemed different to him as well.

Despite all that, luck smiled on us and we were able to get one of the first-timers his first buck on the opening day, a decent 4X4:

5239dillonsdeer.jpg

Still, I was concerned that I wasn't seeing hardly any other deer. When the bad weather started on Monday, the other hunters in my party who were already frustrated decided to call it a hunt and headed home. I decided to stick it out through the next day just so I could use the fresh fallen snow to locate some animals.

I hiked 16 miles round trip on Tuesday in a stiff north wind without seeing a single deer track in the snow. After the snow melted, I did actually see a small buck and two does, but I wasn't interested in that buck. On Wednesday, I decided to check one more canyon where I photographed a couple big bucks (posted the pic on here last year).

Short of it is, I didn't find deer, but through my spotting scope I watched three wolves eating what I think was an antelope--first I've ever seen in the area. I can't say with certainty, but I gotta believe that wolves moving into area played a major role in the deer no longer being there. I think I've been something like ten for ten on deer hunts since moving to NM about 15 years ago (stopped keeping track). I think this is the first deer hunt that I came up empty, and disappointed that it looks like I'll have to find a new area to hunt... :-(

I was in the 16's in June and saw two collared wolves. The elf calves were so young they wet having a hard time getting through the dead fall. Im positive I could have ran them down so I'm sure the wolves feast on them when they are young.

This is why I am not a fan of wolves in NM. I understand the debate from the environmentalists that they are a big part of the ecosystem but they are unlike any other predators they are apex predators that can single handedly wipe out a population in an area. Wolves are bad news for NM's already struggling deer herd.

NM used to have the best mule deer in the country. 20 yrs ago.
Between the wolves,poachers and the coyotes, deer have all but left the areas I used to hunt for them.
I do see more in my unit ,which I would like shut down for a couple years. I think they are deer from the Silver area that were relocated and ones that just moved up from the Gila to get away from the wolves.
I have not taken a buck in 8 seasons, til this year, which I took a smaller 4x4. Unit 16. 1st buck I saw. I needed meat. I saw one dandy buck taken nearby.
I have passed on bigger many times in those 8 yrs,but have not seen that many that I would really get excited about.
Now we have more elk around than ever,which I think is also pressure from wolves down in the Gila.
So the wolves show up around here in Quemado and all the way out to Magdelena.... no control what so ever.
Time for a change of plan.

Wolf lovers are foolish, I get so much more joy in seeing deer, elk and goats than a wolf. Its an issue of the tail wagging the dog. 95% of the folks who actually get out in the woods to enjoy nature agree.....its a few wackos supported by naive judges who jack it up for the majority imo.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom