First Trip out West Help!

J

JMUHUNTER

First off i would like to say what a great site this is. Last night was a slow night at work so i was surfing the web looking for info on elk and muley info and found MonsterMuleys and just had to join.
The reason i need help is that this fall myself and a couple other friends are going to Colorado to hunt elk and mule deer. This will be my first trip out west, i have hunted in VA. or WV. all my life.
I need info on what type of clothing I am going to need. We are hunting from Oct 30th to Nov 5th in units 41, 42, and 421. The hunting i have done in the past has always been still hunting and haven't had to walk too much. I know that this is going to be different. I have just about wore the pages out of my cabelas and bass pro shop catalog but still don't know what i need. I'm a collage student so my budget is a little tight so my max buget for clothing is about $250.
If anyone can help i would be very greatfull!

LAYERS! You can have everything from blizzards to sunny 70 degree days. Layer your clothing and get GOOD BOOTS and break them in properly. Next good wool socks with a liner sock underneath. Hunting out west for Elk calls for walking and lots of it. I would spend the bulk of my money on Boots.

i wouldnt buy much more than what you already have. You already hunt so you have hunting clothes! Yes you do need to dress in layers. A great pair of boots helps. when I moved from Ohio to colorado i didnt need any new clothes or boots. you may also walk 100 yards and find deer or elk or you may walk 10 miles and not see a thing. Buy some maps maybe chat w/someone familiar with you units (sorry I am not). Good luck!
Jeff

Amen to the 70 degree or blizzard, some time's in the same 24 hr period, I hunt all over the USA and use the same clothe's for everywhere, it's not nessasary to spend a lot on clothe's, like everyone say's just be sure and layer(and carry a lite backpak to put your stuff in when you are not needing them) and most of all break in your boot's, wear them around the house/yard whatever because if they don't fit properly it will ruin your whole trip, carry extra sock's in your backpak, it's amazing how good it feel's to change your sock's after a few hour's of tramping thru the wood's. you probably already know but make sure you carry at least the basic survival gear with you, it weigh's almost nothing but it's worth it's weight in gold if you get lost, remember some of the colorado wood's are almost as big as w virginia, good insulated underware is a must, that will allow you to layer better, good luck and good hunting, Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom