first trip to wy hunting. Any suggestions?

I

ironfurg

Im from michigan and taking my first hunting trip for mule deer in WY. Ive made many phone calls to landowners and game wardens and i am still not certain on how to go about putting the trip together. From my findings me and my group are going to put in for regions G-E-H in that order with a preferance point. Obviously we want to get giant deer but 4 normal nice muleys would make everything worth it. Any advice would be appreciated. we have no limitations on what we have to do to make it a good hunt. its just where to go and what to expect. i guarantee our group will be hunting our butts off and i say that so you dont think im just some guy who thinks this is going to be easy.

Are you looking for a DIY hunt or an outfitted hunt? Lots of good information is already posted on this board that can help you. Do you or anyone in your party have any preference points? A lot will depend on your physical condition, you don't want to hunt the rough country if you're not in shape. Also if you choose a wilderness area you'll have to hire a guide, Non Residents can't hunt the wilderness areas by themselves.

7 Mag

Wait and see if you draw first, then start putting plans together.You should probably draw G with your 1st choice,I would not put in non resident for Reg E, and impossible to draw H with a third choice.Tons of info on here on reg G, and opinions vary but its not as good as it once was. If I were you I would look at some limited quota areas.

bgmhiker

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-09 AT 03:42PM (MST)[p]If looking for a nice muley,private ranch is the way to go.There are some good deer on public ground ,but comming from Michigan,you will not have much time to scout.
I have found the ranch,s I have hunted on hold some good bucks and the ranch owner has always helped me get started on my hunt.I personaly like region C .I have taken several nice bucks from this unit.

Where you from in MICHIGAN ?

REM308 is giving good advice. Private land will be your highest odds of getting respectable bucks. Public land still has some good bucks but not being able to scout and get to know the area will hurt you alot. Limited entry public land units like 102 & 101 are an option for people with limited ability to scout.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom