First Trip

ciller160

Hey guys,
Last year I won a hunt that was supposed to be to New Zealand for stag. But with NZ still being closed to tourism due to Covid, I’ve talked to the group I won the hunt from and am looking at turning it into an African hunt in 2021.
The timing works out that I’m also selling a rental house and will be able to upgrade my hunt and bring my wife along.
As this will be my first time traveling to hunt, I don’t know what I don’t know.
What are some things that a guy can easily overlook when planning a trip like this? What are questions I need to ask a potential PH or outfitter that will lead to a better experience?
Thanks in advance for any response.

Currently we are talking to one of each. Looking at SA. My wife says kudu is the one thing she really wants to hunt. She’s already killed an oryx in New Mexico, so I’d like to kill a bigger oryx than her. Haha. Also black wildebeest interests me.

The 3 year old maybe pushing it n an africa trip even the 5 year old could be just to young to enjoy the trip. For the cost of airfare I would say leave them home and take them when you go back as it is hard not to go back to africa after hunting one.

Just know the best kudu areas normally dont happen with black wildebeest and oryx areas so you may travel some to do those 3. If kudu is main animal I would say look at bushbuck ,impala, blue wildebeest , nyala.

Make sure to get info on who they want to book you through as there is alot of good but some bad SA outfits. But there is some great deals in SA right now and it is a hunters market right now

Grandparents... leave them with the grandparents, that way everyone wins.
That’s the backup plan. But grandparents are either a 15 hour drive to Utah away, or an extra flight from Texas to Northern California.
As far as shipping costs. I’ve heard a wide range of estimates. And I understand it depends on how much stuff, how big, how many crates.
but if sent back 7 or 8 skulls with horns and tanned hides....what’s a ballpark price?

The price now on shipping is not what it normally is the covid bs had less flights so prices are up. You can normally ship hides and horns back dip/pack for 800 to 1200 but now it maybe 2000 or more. Dip/pack is roughly 150 per animal plus paperwork fees

Have been 5 times, and all shipments and trophies were similar. My last trip, it was $960 to ship 150# crate from Windhoek Namibia to San Francisco, then $300 for all the fees, customs, inspections upon arrival, then $400 to process, load, and ship again from SFO to Salt Lake City. Total of $1700

If you are going to do any flat rugs or back skins, I recommend you have them done over there. They do a good job on those, cheaper, and less likely to have damage or slippage during shipping. Reduces the shipped weight also so saves $$$

That’s the backup plan. But grandparents are either a 15 hour drive to Utah away, or an extra flight from Texas to Northern California.
As far as shipping costs. I’ve heard a wide range of estimates. And I understand it depends on how much stuff, how big, how many crates.
but if sent back 7 or 8 skulls with horns and tanned hides....what’s a ballpark price?
Do what you need to do to leave them with the grandparents. They really are too young to take and will impact the enjoyment of your hunt. I’m serious, take your wife but leave the kids at Grandma’s house. You’ll thank me later.

I would not take such young children on a first trip to Africa, even if it is just to SA. The high fenced shooting properties of SA are safe enough but the travel from the USA is very long and tiring.

I went for the first time in 2019. Did not know whattto expect. I had a small list of animals I really wanted, but I also killed a few I didn’t even think I’d want. I did not know what to look for in trophy quality but luckily had a great PH that did. We connected of quite a few really big animals. I had a budget in mind, shared that with my PH and we hunted accordingly. I hunted SA and as someone mentioned, yes it’s almost all high fence. The area we hunted was incredibly big. You couldn’t drive across the property in a day, never saw the other hunters or the fence fir that matter. Yes, the export costs are high. Especially if you kill a bunch of stuff. But I looked at it as this may be my only trip ever to Africa and hunted accordingly. You can make more money, you cant make more time. If I go again I wouldn’t even consider taking my own gun and dealing with all the hassle at the airports and customs. I took my bow and used my PH’s rifle. Good luck.

I went for the first time in 2019. Did not know whattto expect. I had a small list of animals I really wanted, but I also killed a few I didn’t even think I’d want. I did not know what to look for in trophy quality but luckily had a great PH that did. We connected of quite a few really big animals. I had a budget in mind, shared that with my PH and we hunted accordingly. I hunted SA and as someone mentioned, yes it’s almost all high fence. The area we hunted was incredibly big. You couldn’t drive across the property in a day, never saw the other hunters or the fence fir that matter. Yes, the export costs are high. Especially if you kill a bunch of stuff. But I looked at it as this may be my only trip ever to Africa and hunted accordingly. You can make more money, you cant make more time. If I go again I wouldn’t even consider taking my own gun and dealing with all the hassle at the airports and customs. I took my bow and used my PH’s rifle. Good luck.
smitty, well said...RSA and Namibia are also the cheaper options...Both countries has enough entertainment for children...

ciller160, I would consider your children to accompany you! Perhaps combine your hunting safari with a family vacation for a few days...

This thread has died down over the past month. Are you still planning your hunt? I'm planning for my fifth trip, and I wouldn't even consider taking kids that young for any reason. Most of us fall in love with Africa, and most will go back again (and again...). Take your kids when they are older, not at this age.

You haven't mentioned whether you're hunting with a gun or bow. That makes a big difference on which month you should hunt. Bowhunters will normally prefer the months of June-September, rifle hunters it's not as important.

You also mentioned you like Black Wildebeest. They occur in relatively few places in South Africa and a little bit of Namibia. Most hunting concessions don't offer them, so if that one is important you should inquire. Kudu are spread well across South Africa, but the larger ones tend to come from the Limpopo Province and the smallest from the Cape areas (they are a different sub-species there, more attractive in my opinion but considerably smaller horns).

One of the earlier posters mentioned sharing the cost of shipping your trophies home with other hunters. You might find someone that would do that for you, but I understand it is not legal to mix hunter's shipments into a single shipment.

I hope you have a date set to go. Good luck, you're going to love it!

The hunt is planned. We are leaving on Saturday. Heading to Port Elizabeth RSA. I believe we have 8 days of hunting. With a couple extra days for park visits and possibly some fishing. All we have left is our Covid tests snd dropping off the kids with family.
I’ll try to post some pictures when animals start hitting the ground. I appreciate everybody giving their input.

First day was a success.
I do have a questions on tipping. Basically, how much, to who, and when?
1E3F0A20-FC8E-415C-8D1A-6170CBEC5941.jpeg
C5E22C03-598C-4C58-9B8A-2A4D97B6C337.jpeg

I tipped my PH $100.00 a day for every day I hunted, as far as camp staff, trackers, and the like ask your PH what they recommend. I handed out tips my last day in camp.

Congratulations on a good-looking Blesbok! I'd ask the concession owner or manager rather than asking the PH himself how much to tip him, although he could give insight on the rest of the staff IF he knows. There are lots of discussions on that topic online. Since you seem to have internet, I'd suggest doing a search. I've seen some concessions that are over the top on their tip recommendations (compared to the average of the recommendations I've seen from multiple concessions in the same province), so take their recommendation with a grain of salt and do some research. Some concessions put their suggested tipping guidelines on their website.

Stick what do you personally tip in Africa?
Not sure why guys dodge this question.
There are so many people in camp in Africa
How do you know who to tip?
I usually try to tip 10-20% based on the overall cost of the hunt and give it to the PH or Guide to hand out as he/she sees fit.
Less people in camp you can do it yourself
But a big outfit is tough.

first off a tip is just that and should be based on how you feel the did for you on the hunt. For me it is 50 to 100 a day for Ph, 20 a day tracker more if he saves me animal I may have made a bad shot on. skinner 20 per animal unless full skin then 30. clean lady 5 a day and cook 5 to 10 a day.

but all is up to you and your budget. You ask the ph you wculd get numbers that are just to high as some are greedy and others will say they want nothing

Ciller160, the information BillC gave you is solid. I usually figure $100/day for PH and ask their suggestion for staff. Problem is, you may get a suggestion much higher than you’d like. His numbers are very reasonable for South Africa.

That looks like a nice kudu. Have any other photos of it?
Yes. My wife killed a 49” bull. Mine is a bit smaller at 46”. Most of the pictures from the trip are on the big camera. I haven’t figured out how to downsize them small enough to upload here. Also I’ve been too busy to worry too much about it. Next week when we get home I’ll get more pictures and make a post about the trip.
AD4AA40B-EAB9-4B16-97C4-21E67FA773E5.jpeg
890CAE33-781E-4564-92D6-908C1D3F7640.jpeg

Yes. My wife killed a 49” bull. Mine is a bit smaller at 46”. Most of the pictures from the trip are on the big camera. I haven’t figured out how to downsize them small enough to upload here. Also I’ve been too busy to worry too much about it. Next week when we get home I’ll get more pictures and make a post about the trip.
Cool. I know it's the camera perspective in that [ic with your wife's kudu, but it still appears t be longer than 49. Regardless, still a great looking bull. Mine was 48, like eyours.

View attachment 40957View attachment 40958
For the EC those size of Kudu is high ranking ones. Very nice specimen...

Hey everyone! Congrats on the upcoming hunt! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. When it comes to planning a trip like this, there are a few things to consider. Make sure to ask about the outfitter's experience in the area, the terrain you'll be hunting, and what type of game you're likely to encounter. Don't forget to inquire about safety protocols, as well as the availability of different weapons and equipment. And if you're able to, consider upgrading your flights to business class – you may be able to get some great deals! Good luck – I'm sure you'll have a great time!
I have a headache

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom