Fishing trip

Gadjet

My wife and I are thinking about doing a fishing trip to Alaska. Probably the standard halibut and salmon type of trip. Figured this might be a good place to start. Anyone have an outfit that they would recommend?

What part of Alaska? I've done several on the Kenai Peninsula and had good luck with all the ones I've been out on. Crazy Rays in Whittier, Jimmie Jacks out of Seward, BIg Dan's out of Homer. I'm sure there a a lot of other good ones, but I've had good luck with the ones listed above.

If you’re planning on going this year likely everyone is booked up already that’s worth a ****…

Are your days flexible when you’re coming up? I’ll reach through my contacts and see what’s available.
Don't really know when we can make it happen. I'm just trying to get a feel for what would be a good outfit to go with. I would like to go this year if we can make it happen. Ever hear of Anglers Lodge?

Water's Edge out of Elfin Cove treated us great for a self-guided trip last summer. Did well on salmon and halibut. My only trip to Alaska, so no comparison, but a non-fisherman flatlanders managed to be very successful.

Sam Dalin ..Dalin Charters out of Ketchikan. Shelter Cove Lodge out of Craig, if possible;e get Dave (the guide not the owner) as your guide. Sam will get you bigger halibut.

Does anyone have any experience with Maverick Fishing Charter out of Homer? We are looking at mid June for a combo Halibut/Salmon charter.

I have been looking at the Emerald Island Mothership outfit. More fishing time, less boat travel, great scenery. Cost is a little higher than a lot of outfits. I can’t go for a year or two but I am keeping this one on my back burner! Google it and take a look.

I have been looking at the Emerald Island Mothership outfit. More fishing time, less boat travel, great scenery. Cost is a little higher than a lot of outfits. I can’t go for a year or two but I am keeping this one on my back burner! Google it and take a look.
I’ve fished the same areas they fish and the area is everything they say it is. That said, I much prefer a self guided trip. To a charter type adventure. Waters Edge is located in this same general area and runs a first class self guided operation. Different strokes for different folks, but I always feel sorry for those on the big charter boats when I’m fishing around them.

You may have a great experience with Emerald BUT you also run the risk of having some real jack asses on the boat if you do not have enough friends to fill the boat requirements. We made this mistake out of Homer one time...never ever again. I would suggest unguided in that area. My first salmon trip on Langara Island was unguided and I caught the biggest to date on that trip....61 #. We have fished Alaska salmon 30-35 times.

Hunt30 and Littlebull y’all make some good points. After talking with the Emerald Isle guys my plan, IF it comes about, is to have enough guys to fill out my small boat from the mother ship. That way we could sorta do our own thing without having some horses rear fishing with us. Doesn’t prevent having a horses rear on the mothership though. They told me it would be possible to do some deep drops with electric reels to catch several different species which would be one of my goals after securing some halibut and salmon freezer fish.

Phantom hope you have a great experience. Halibut are about like catching a Volkswagen but very good eating. Many times we caught them at 300'+- nothing like grinding them up only to have them make a mad dash back to the bottom. We found that by setting down and laying the rod over the edge of the boat that we could reel them up as the boat rocked, a slow steady but very tiring process. My biggest was 269#. I found out later that this would be a female, a very old female and I lost my desire to catch a bigger fish. The fish around 25-40# are the best. A guy told me "would you rather go out with a young lady or an old grandma". I now delight in going out with my "old grandma" We have been married 59 years in July. There will slot limits now.

All this fishing talk and my upcoming tuna trip have got me wishin I was already in Venice Louisiana chasing tuna and wahoo. Gonna be a long week waiting to see if the winds will allow us to get offshore.

You may want to check out the Wild Strawberry Lodge in Sitka. Incredible fishing for Kings in the salt. You will "mooch" for Kings. Try to time your trip in June if possible. Jet service from Seattle is the way to get there. They have a special going on now until the end of February.

This trip is also on my bucket list.
Gadget, they landed a 167 lb yellowfin on the lump early this week! Ya really need to get to Venice in Feb/March or in late Sept/Oct for the bigger tuna. My largest so far is 164lbs. Contact Mexican Gulf Fishing Co. They run mostly big Freeman Catamarans and all their Captains have good gear.

Gadget, they landed a 167 lb yellowfin on the lump early this week! Ya really need to get to Venice in Feb/March or in late Sept/Oct for the bigger tuna. My largest so far is 164lbs. Contact Mexican Gulf Fishing Co. They run mostly big Freeman Catamarans and all their Captains have good gear.
Ya my cousin went with an outfit out of Venice a couple years ago. I think they were called Voodoo Charters, or something like that. They fished a couple of days inshore for reds and slayed them. Then fished the rigs and only caught a few tuna, but he also caught a fairly rare oil fish.
I'm holding off on actually booking an Alaskan trip for now. My lucky hunting buddy won a stone sheep hunt at the Expo last weekend and I'm waiting to get details on possibly going with him.

Gadjet I want to be your "lucky hunting buddy" ! From what I have been reading that hunt is now going for around $75K. Hope you go. That was on my bucket list...never took the time and now I can't do it.

Gadjet I want to be your "lucky hunting buddy" ! From what I have been reading that hunt is now going for around $75K. Hope you go. That was on my bucket list...never took the time and now I can't do it.
Ha! Tell me about it. He won a dall hunt three years ago too!
I know that four stone hunts sold for 70 grand each at the expo. And from what I'm hearing they'll probably jump to 85 next year. They'll be 100 grand before you know it. Crazy!

So apparently my buddies stone sheep outfitter doesn't take non hunters. Soooo, I'm back on the hunt for a decent Alaska combo fishing package.

My family and I hadn't been out in a while, so I suggested we go on a weekend fishing trip to johnson lake bc. We happened to be when there is a lot of fishing going on, especially the first 2 months of summer. Trout weighing 1.5 to 2 pounds are found in such places. But we could not get away with such fish and prepared special flies, baits, all this was certainly not in vain, as we caught trout 3 to 5 pounds. Also, besides fishing, it is very beautiful here; this mountain scenery, translucent water, hearty family conversations will always bring a storm of emotions.

Booked with Anglers Lodge out of Soldotna. A day on the Kenai, a day on the Kasilof, a day out of Homer, and a day out of Seward. My wife and I are really looking forward to it.

We are going to Kenai in late July for a work getaway. I hate fishing. Lol. Hopefully there is something else to do.

Yeah I don’t really care for the summers up here. Give me spring fall and winter. When I get older I’m going someplace else for summer…

Are you even human? LOL!
Lol! I think so. My dad always loved fishing and used to drag me all over fishing. I have fished for peacock bass in Venezuela to trout in the San Juan River and lots of places in between. Growing up we had a home on Lake Novillo near Hermosillo Mx. I think it was just forced on me so much that I grew to dislike it.

Looking forward to the scenery though.

Lol! I think so. My dad always loved fishing and used to drag me all over fishing. I have fished for peacock bass in Venezuela to trout in the San Juan River and lots of places in between. Growing up we had a home on Lake Novillo near Hermosillo Mx. I think it was just forced on me so much that I grew to dislike it.

I used to fish every chance I had. I still enjoy it, but I honestly don't have the crazy passion for it like I once did. My wife and I are really just looking forward to getting away from work and relaxing for a week.

The end of July is the best fishing of the year on the Kenai. You'll have the scenery all to yourself because everybody else will be fishing for Sockeye salmon. :ROFLMAO:

The end of July is the best fishing of the year on the Kenai. You'll have the scenery all to yourself because everybody else will be fishing for Sockeye salmon. :ROFLMAO:
Definitely a great time to be fishing, the action and the weather is nice. The hardest part for me was eating all those salmon. After my second fishing trip there I figured if I never ate another salmon I would be fine. But black rockfish and halibut are a different story.

Definitely a great time to be fishing, the action and the weather is nice. The hardest part for me was eating all those salmon. After my second fishing trip there I figured if I never ate another salmon I would be fine. But black rockfish and halibut are a different story.
My two brothers and I brought home over 100 Red Salmon one year, and about 100 pounds of halibut. Good times.

That sounds like my family and religion!!!!!

I don't fish but if I did I'd go to Kodiak Adventures Lodge.

We hunted deer there last year but his main business is fishing. the lodge, food, scenery everything was beyond expectations and I'm sure the fishing is too. I'm going back.

Have gone every year since about 2010ish, skipped 19 as I had a sheep tag in Wyoming. Its a meat haul every year, going in again in August.

Salmon:

2018082395163514.jpg

This and that:

2018082395152443.jpg

08061711551.jpg

Black Rockfish

0805171620.jpg

Salmon:

IMG_20200823_113821691_HDR.jpg

Mixed box:

IMG_20200824_162825349_HDR.jpg

Couple good lingcod last year: