Fishlake Elk hunt

Dr_Hunter

Very Active Member
Here is a video I threw together of my friend's elk hunt. Tough hunting conditions but super fun. I always appreciate when people shed light on different units and what to expect. Hopefully this video helps someone in that way with the upcoming draws and their decisions. Enjoy

Awesome bull and great video! That first shot was money! you could see the blood spilling out on the snow in the vid but way to keep calm and keep shooting. Elk are tough animals. I had one soak up 2 shoots from a 300 win mag at 250 yards their will to survive is high up there.

I would rather see a good clean kill. You are either under gunned or you're to damned far away. Why don't you answer post # 2?

How Many Yards & What Caliber?
Shot was 640 yds. We used Christensen Arms Ridgeline 28 Nosler with the Nosler Trophy Grade LR Accubond 175grain bullet.

Yes BigJohnT, I supplied the blue medical gloves. Elk have a hypersensitivity/allergy to latex so you have to use the blue 100% latex free Nitrile exam gloves ;):LOL:
Spencer handed out the Tylenol.

Last edited:
Shot was 640 yds. We used Christensen Arms Ridgeline 28 Nosler with the Nosler Trophy Grade LR Accubond 175grain bullet.

Yes BigJohnT, I supplied the blue medical gloves. Elk have a hypersensitivity/allergy to latex so you have to use the blue 100% latex free Nitrile exam gloves ;):LOL:
Spencer handed out the Tylenol.
I shoot the same gun and the same Bullet. I had the Premium tag this year on the fishlake. I killed my bull at 170 yards, 4 well placed shots. I couldnt believe it. Im questioning my setup and think I will be taking my 300WSM to Alaska this coming year for moose. Im gun shy with the 28 Nosler at this point. I recovered 3 of the 4 on opposite side Hide and all expanded well.

Here is a video I threw together of my friend's elk hunt. Tough hunting conditions but super fun. I always appreciate when people shed light on different units and what to expect. Hopefully this video helps someone in that way with the upcoming draws and their decisions. Enjoy

Nice bull great video and story way to go

I shoot the same gun and the same Bullet. I had the Premium tag this year on the fishlake. I killed my bull at 170 yards, 4 well placed shots. I couldnt believe it. Im questioning my setup and think I will be taking my 300WSM to Alaska this coming year for moose. Im gun shy with the 28 Nosler at this point. I recovered 3 of the 4 on opposite side Hide and all expanded well.
I don't think you should go after Alaska moose with that thing. If you do, take a lot of bullets.

I don't think you should go after Alaska moose with that thing. If you do, take a lot of bullets.
And aim for the eyeball!

My old man dumped his bull this year with a 45 year old 300 win mag at 385 yards!

One well placed bullet. The elk never took a step!

Just collapsed right there and never moved!

Shot placement is key as well as distance and caliber!

Nice video work and great bull!! Congrats to everyone involved.
The 28N is more than capable for elk and Alaska. There are other bullets if you didn’t like the results with the LR accubonds.

And aim for the eyeball!

My old man dumped his bull this year with a 45 year old 300 win mag at 385 yards!

Shot placement is key as well as distance and caliber!
Agreed. I was just shocked at the lack of damage a 28 Nosler did at 170 yards with 4 "well placed" shots. All shots were what anyone would consider ideal. Maybe I will make it a deer only gun :)

Im still unsure what I am taking to be honest, but leaning 300 WSM... But maybe this is a good reason to add another to the fold and start shooting... 9 months and counting.

And aim for the eyeball!

Shot placement is key as well as distance and caliber
A hole in the heart is still a hole in the heart. That said, a big gun does allow for a bigger margin of error.

This hunt definitely made me question my setup. I struggle not seeing an animal pass quickly with a clean one shot kill. There has been a lot of hype about the 28 Nosler and to be honest it is a flat shooting, accurate rifle. Maybe not as lethal over 500 yds on a larger animal?? Worked great on my caribou. I told my wife it would be a "one and done" gun, meaning spend more on a nicer setup and not need to buy another in the future.... I guess I may need to buy another gun :) Like I said, hopefully the video helps others with their decisions whether it be which gun to use or area to apply.

Agreed, the 28 noz is plenty of gun for elk or moose. I’m shooting 160 accubonds, have shot two elk, multiple deer, and antelope and at distance. If they didn’t drop in their tracks they barely made it out of sight. I’m not sold on the LR accubonds but not afraid at all of just accubonds. Also plenty of other bullets that will get the job done as well. Good luck

Here is a large bodied bull I harvested last month with the LRAB 210 gr in the 300 rum at 420 yards. Bull was slightly quartering and the entrance hit the 3rd rib back (lungs) and settled on the off side shoulder just under the hide. The entrance hole was the size of a grapefruit and then held together to break the off side shoulder. The bull did a death run of about 80 yards in sight with a massive blood trail. I shot this bull in sub freezing conditions. Do you think big bulls can take more of a punch when the temps are sub freezing? Bullet weighed 103 grains. So, 50% weight retention. I was just shocked at the entrance wound from hitting that rib, but the bullet continued on its path to break the opposite shoulder. Curious, If you recovered any of your 28 nosler bullets and how the wound cavity looked?

9E8C1D26-0CCD-4C14-A0CD-AEA9D3247570.jpeg

93947C63-3080-412C-95BD-70511E540000.jpeg

3774ED43-5D6F-4D61-A502-347CCAD4A3FA.png

Here is a large bodied bull I harvested last month with the LRAB 210 gr in the 300 rum at 420 yards. Bull was slightly quartering and the entrance hit the 3rd rib back (lungs) and settled on the off side shoulder just under the hide. The entrance hole was the size of a grapefruit and then held together to break the off side shoulder. The bull did a death run of about 80 yards in sight with a massive blood trail. I shot this bull in sub freezing conditions. Do you think big bulls can take more of a punch when the temps are sub freezing? Bullet weighed 103 grains. So, 50% weight retention. I was just shocked at the entrance wound from hitting that rib, but the bullet continued on its path to break the opposite shoulder. Curious, If you recovered any of your 28 nosler bullets and how the wound cavity looked?

View attachment 19948

View attachment 19949

View attachment 19950
Wow! That is impressive. We recovered some of the bullet fragments on the opposite shoulder; however, I didn't pay that much attention to detail.

Yes I had the archery tag in 2014. I did the HAC that year. You can read about my hunt there. Long story short, I had plenty of opportunities and was too greedy/dumb and passed on some awesome bulls that I shouldn't have.

I also helped a friend with his archery hunt in 2015. He killed a big old 5x5. Fishlake is a good unit but I feel it has been on the decline since 2013 with age-class management changes. There are some older bulls in that unit but you've got to work pretty hard to find them.

Yes I had the archery tag in 2014. I did the HAC that year. You can read about my hunt there. Long story short, I had plenty of opportunities and was too greedy/dumb and passed on some awesome bulls that I shouldn't have.

I also helped a friend with his archery hunt in 2015. He killed a big old 5x5. Fishlake is a good unit but I feel it has been on the decline since 2013 with age-class management changes. There are some older bulls in that unit but you've got to work pretty hard to find them.
Awesome. DNR stats say the average age of bulls in that unit is 61/2 to 71/2?
If I draw the muzzy tag this year would you be willing to offer some info? This will be a one and done for me. I'm 73 and live in St. George, retired.
Thanks

For sure. We have a cabin down there and spend a lot of time on the mountain. I am always willing to help people out when it comes to hunting. Let me know if you draw. Send me a pm with your number when you find out.

I can’t believe people are criticizing the shooting here, the gun, bullet and shooter did perfect anyone who says otherwise hasn’t killed enough elk IMO
I never criticized the hunter or the gun, just the bullet... And my opinion of the bullet has nothing to do with this video, just my own experience...

Nice Bull! Looks like a brutal packout. Definitely not a fan of the LR Accubond. Probably the only bullet I've ever seen fired at Elk that I wouldn't recommend. If you handload, the Berger 180 Hybrid is tough to beat.

Awesome. DNR stats say the average age of bulls in that unit is 61/2 to 71/2?
If I draw the muzzy tag this year would you be willing to offer some info? This will be a one and done for me. I'm 73 and live in St. George, retired.
Thanks
A hell of a place to live Saint George. You must feel like your in hell during the summer. ? A few questions for you. How many points do you have. Are you in good shape for your age. Do you have a super duper muzzleloader?

28lrab 175 at 16ft in the base of neck to just on the other side of front shoulder.
I have shown this before.
it’s a crap shoot. There are many variables. Sometime thing work great and some not so good.

B08869E7-55C7-42E2-874E-5693635B503F.jpeg

91B124F6-5B79-4EFF-889D-726B14A2346B.jpeg

3EA05B03-A37B-472B-8C65-84B6D6D2CF5F.jpeg

Then there are days 180 Berger’s crap out.
Gave this guy 2. One on one side then he spun 180 degrees and gave another. One worked fine the other ???

AC19DEED-38AF-48B0-BFE7-E8676B014350.jpeg

2C776F8E-2CAE-491C-B207-3CF238DAE88A.jpeg

Last edited:
A hell of a place to live Saint George. You must feel like your in hell during the summer. ? A few questions for you. How many points do you have. Are you in good shape for your age. Do you have a super duper muzzleloader?
The older I get the more I tolerate the heat. I hike the Red Cliffs Desert Preserve three times a week. Average 6 miles per hike. I have to hunt by myself these days because all my buddies have given up. I was 5 miles in last year archery North of Vernal with a spike camp. I have 12 P points. Thompson Center Encore 50 cal, composite stock.
Thanks ELKCHSR

The older I get the more I tolerate the heat. I hike the Red Cliffs Desert Preserve three times a week. Average 6 miles per hike. I have to hunt by myself these days because all my buddies have given up. I was 5 miles in last year archery North of Vernal with a spike camp. I have 12 P points. Thompson Center Encore 50 cal, composite stock.
Thanks ELKCHSR
The way I get relief from living in hell. Is heading up to the mountain for a little piece of heaven. Dr Hunter and Gledeasy are great guys and often help others on the mountain. We even help some of the guides and outfitters up there. :) Your probable in better shape then I am . I am getting fat and old ! After a 8 mile pack out on last year on horse back . I was pissing blood for a week. I had surgery December 30. Just got healed up enough to start exercising. I also shoot a ELR Thompson 45 caliber. ;-) Good luck on your draw. Hopefully the odds don't change to much and your in this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom