Fishlake muzzleloader elk

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I am tired of chasing bookcliffs roadless and i am debating going for Fishlake muzzleloader elk for likely my only Utah elk hunt.

1. what are your thoughts on this hunt vs. BC roadless, BC south and Dutton?

2. What is the top end one can expect?

3. Are there places with elk that are away from roads/access - away meaning 2 miles minimum, 3 miles preferred (in other words 4-6 miles between roads).

I am a NR with 14 points and likely will draw.

Thanks Don

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-16 AT 04:13PM (MST)[p]With the change in muzzleloader restrictions this year it will be interesting to see how the point creep goes.
It might take a lot more than last year.
Best of luck to you on your elk hunt.

I don't think the odds will really change a lot with the hunt being a week later (tail end of rut) and the new October rifle season that should draw some interest from middle of the road points guys, who are generally the point brackets going after the muzzy tags.

Is the 9/26 start date a big deal? Is this going to change next year? If it goes back 5 days earlier it might be worth waiting another year.

I had this tag last year, it's a super fun hunt I thought the bull quality was down last year. We struggled finding big Bulls throughout the year. Shoot me a PM and I can let you know some more.

The start date will go one day earlier each year. Don, I wouldn't be scared of a 26th opener, there's still good action and some years it's lights out the last week of September.

So in 2018 it will be two days earlier?

I am leaning toward BC south - 2 NR tags so a max points tag - not likely to draw for a couple years which is ok.

BC roadless showed 20% archery success, why so low?

To you Fishlakesters,

Would the Thousand Lakes (of the same unit)area be better if Don wanted to get away from the crowds? Does it have the same quality that the FL area does?

Anyone have any idea how many tags this new oct elk hunt or hunts will have? I think I saw it's like 3 or 4 diff units Just curious

I would like to know too! Me and my buddy where thinking of applying for fish lake with 16 NR points. We would apply separately

They have been giving out a ton of tags for the fish lake unit.Last year there where over 100 rifle hunters on the late and early hunt.With the Archery and muzzle loader tags there where over 170 tags. On the early rifle hunt there where 61 draw tags, 5 premium tags, 3 expo tag and at least one poacher turn in tags. Maybe more? With this new hunt during the spike hunt, who knows how many more tags they are going to put out? But I saw early rifle hunters last year shooting small 5 points because that is all they said they could find. I don't see how this unit can take this kind of pressure.

The mature Bulls can't take that kind of pressure and it shows on the fishlake unit. Fun hunt, lots of elk, but the mature bull numbers just aren't there. 300" bull is a good bull on fishlake.

If you are looking for an area with few roads, and big bulls the Dutton is definitely for you! Steep nasty terrain, very few roads relative to unit size, and plenty of mature Bulls.

2a0fcsk.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom