Fishlake/thousand lakes multi season tag

jgriffin82

Hello everybody. I drew the NR multi season tag for the fish lake/thousand lakes unit. I've only driven through the area a few times. I've got some questions I am hoping to get answered. I am grateful for any help. I give thanks in advance.

Does the unit lend itself to big glass? I have been on the fence for 3 years about getting a set of 15x56 binos. This hunt may put me over the edge. I currently have Leica 10x42's and a Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 spotter. I'm not too keen on the spotter though.

I've looked at historical weather averages for Scipio and Gunnison. Are those numbers similar to the unit overall? How concerned should I be about weather changes in the Fishlake NF?

One last question. How do elk patterns change from mid July when I plan on scouting to mid September when I will be hunting? I know they'll get a bit of pressure from archery hunters and will pushed around. Should I just skip the July scout trip and just show up a few days earlier before the actual hunt? I can carry my bow around if I do that.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

Your glass wil be fine. I use a similar set up all the time there, but I do use my spotter a lot. Just for a closer look not for finding the elk.

Weather wise my feelings are Loa and Koosharem would be better indicators. The last few years the mountain did get snow in September, but there have been years it's been pretty warm.

Scouting would depend on how much time you have off. I would always recommend to scout as much as possible, but during July I would focus more on learning roads and getting familiar with areas. You'll see elk, and probably in large numbers, but many will disperse and head to private as the hunts near.

If you have any questions send me a message. I hunt the unit and have a deer tag in my pocket.

If I had that tag (won't ever happen) I would at the minimum hunt the last week of archery and the rifle, with plans to hunt the muzzy if I had to.

You should be good with those binos, I'd look at maybe a bigger spotter. Elk will be everywhere in July pretty high. As hunts start and the fall gets closer they head to the thicker trees. You?ll see elk that's for sure. The weather in Scipio and Gunnison will be hotter as it's not up on the mountain. Fish lake always gets summer rains in the afternoon usually with the monsoons in July and August. Sometimes the storms are strong with wild lighting, hail and wind. I've been way to close to lighting g several times on fish lake.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm excited to get back there to scout. I hope to get a good idea of the road system and find a place to camp. I probably won't do much hiking. I've only got a few days to scout in July. I've got about 10 places on the map I want to check out a bit closer though. They look good from a satellite!

Jim

My favorite spotting equipment is my Swaro 15X56s on a tripod. They are not required, but man if you need an excuse, now is a good time. They will last forever and in the future you will be glad you got them.
As for the unit, I'm no help, but I do know multi-season hunts can be a challenge in using your time wisely. Many pass good bulls early on, only to have regrets later. Unless of course you are willing to chew tag jerky.
Best of luck and share pictures.

I'm going to have a pair of 15x56 binos for the hunt. I'll need a new, lighter, smaller tripod too. I have a huge vanguard alto 264ao.

I have recently read reviews on Maven optics. I have read a lot of good about them. I went to their site today and "rented" a demo pair of their 15x56 binos. I get to keep them for two weeks. I'm hoping to compare them to a pair of big swaros or Leica before I send them back. I know they are heavier and physically bigger than swarovski 15's. I don't plan on backpacking with them though.

As for the hunt itself. My biggest challenge will be passing up the first bull I see. I'm am by no means, a trophy hunter and I couldn't care less about score. I just love seeing the animals. Being outdoors in a new place and having the chance at a bull of a lifetime is what gets me excited for the hunt. I have zero expectations and low standards. Don't tell my wife I said that! It's gonna be a blast. I won't be disappointed!

I'll share some pics. I hope you guys won't be disappointed with them though. I don't wear flatties and I don't hunt with a crew. Hell, I may not even be in the picture. I usually can't figure out the timer on my camera!

Jim

If you are looking for a nice packable tripod I really love my outdoorsman's. Especially the tripod head. You could get different legs, but I would certainly recommend the head. The size makes it excellent for packing. However, they are pricey though.

Here's some eye candy of a few bulls ('13 and '14) from the mountain.

Going on the adventure with no expectations other than a good time is the way to go!

Great job on the video Spencer. You have to much free time on your hands. ?. My sons drew in 2012 archery bull and 2014 early rifle bull . My daughter drew in 2015 early rifle bull. Then my son drew the Expo tag in 2016 for archery bull again. But imho the best last year of the Fish lake unit was 2015. Several good bulls where taken that year. We where a little behind the but my daughter still took this nice bull. http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/3997940a655c294a4d3b8e880351caa4efd9.jpeg

Wow! Thanks for the pic and the video. You guys just made September take even longer to get here!

John, your daughters bull is awesome! I can only imagine the hours you put in to find that old bull.If I could lay my eyes on something even close to that, I'd be satisfied!

Spencer, you must spend some serious time in that unit too. I am a bit jealous. I've hunted Nevada elk once and saw quite a few elk in 7 days. Very few had the quality you have on film though. As for the tripod, I've looked at the outdoorsman tripods and heads. I can't decide which I want though. I do know that I'll need to work more OT now.

Jim

Sportsman's warehouse has the carbon fiber Manfrotto it is the one I use. Can't afford that outdoorsman ether. Spencer lives on that mountain he has a cabin at the lake. With his doctors wages he can afford the Outdoorsman ! Spencer's bull at the end of his video is just as good as Michelle's bull. They score very close. The two other bulls that go taken before Michelle took her bull in 2015 . Where a 396 bull and a 391. I have pictures of them as well. Just not our bulls though. My son's bull was a typical Fish lake bull. I will load a picture up when I get a minute.

Fish lake is a fun hunt, lots of elk. The bulls above are exceptional don't let that fool you. There are very few big bulls that are available with have lots of guides and local cabin dwellers with tags themselves or buddys with tags chasing them. A legit 300? is a great bull on that unit. July is a fun time to scout, the elk are very visible and it would give you a good idea of what kind of quality is around. Come the season most of the elk will have moved much lower. The cedar country around the big private ranches is a good place to start. If you are in the market for some 15?s the meopta?s are hard to beat. Very comparable to the swaro?s for about a grand less. You?ll have a great time, and it sounds like you are going at it with the right attitude. Good luck.

I like Meoptas. I had some 10x42 HD's a few years back. They were worth every penny. I gave them to my dad after I got a screamin' deal on my Leica's. I'm going to give the Maven 15's a try. I was thinking about buying a pair of Swaro, Leupold, Meopta, Zeiss and Vortex 15's and keeping the one that works best for my eyes. I'm not sure the wife would take to kindly to the $8k+ CC bill though!

On another note, can anybody recommend an online source for purchasing motor vehicle use maps? I'm sure I can call the Richfield ranger district office if all else fails and probably have them mailed to me.

Jim

>I like Meoptas. I had some
>10x42 HD's a few years
>back. They were worth every
>penny. I gave them to
>my dad after I got
>a screamin' deal on my
>Leica's. I'm going to give
>the Maven 15's a try.
>I was thinking about buying
>a pair of Swaro, Leupold,
>Meopta, Zeiss and Vortex 15's
>and keeping the one that
>works best for my eyes.
>I'm not sure the wife
>would take to kindly to
>the $8k+ CC bill though!
>
>
>
>On another note, can anybody recommend
>an online source for purchasing
>motor vehicle use maps? I'm
>sure I can call the
>Richfield ranger district office if
>all else fails and probably
>have them mailed to me.
>
>
>Jim
The Loa Ranger District has a free map they love to give out. It shows all of the closed roads on it they can be reached at 435 425 3702.It is free. National Geographic has some ok maps. The two that cover your areas are Fish Lake Manti and Capitol reef. They come water proof and tear resistant. If you have a Sportsman warehouse in your area they should have them.
As far is Fullthrottle comments. He is correct. In 2016 my boy could only find small 5's and 5 x 6's bulls everywhere. He regretted passing on a small 6 x 6 300 inch bull opening morning. It ran between us making a bee line for the Boobe holes fence.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-18 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]Shoot John, it sure don't feel like Dr wages :)

Truth be known I try to buy what I can used. It worked out great at the start, but now as my taste has become more specific the items are harder to find.

I use their regular pan head. Does it work better than others, no, but it's footprint is hard to beat.

Doug, at camera land will be your friend when looking for your bino's. I've gotten some amazing deals through him.

My first taste of big bull hunting on FL was in 2010, early. My dad had the tag that year. I drew in 2013, also early. I helped a good friend some during archery 2014, and my wife had a late tag 2015. I've seen 350" bulls each year from 13-present, during hunting season, but like John said some years were better than others. Heck, it's not about inches though. If you like muzzy hunting I wouldn't look past that season. In my experience that's when the elk are the most vocal.

If one just had limitless days to hunt right? I'm excited for you, you're gonna have a great time.

Here is my wife's bull. May not be the biggest, but he met the goal. That was a heck of a fun hunt.
949732015120221.09.27.jpg

I have some video of '13 '15 of the hunts on my you tube. I don't have the time like I use to.

I ended up settling on the Meopta 15x56 binos. I'm still in the process of finding the right tripod. The outdoorsmans sound great but, the price doesn't work for me right now. I may be sticking with the 4# Vanguard for now.

I got a great price on the binos from CamerlandNY. So far I like them a lot. The eye cups fit me well and I can spot deer from a mile+ in the late evening out my back door. For the money, I'd say they are hard to beat. I've only compared them to Maven and Vortex though. I'm excited to put them to good use in Utah. I've picked out 9 specific spots that I feel should produce animals due to topography or distance from roads. Finding areas that are 2-3 miles from roads has been tough!

For the guys that know the area, how big of a factor is elevation when looking for bulls in September in the unit? Does it just depend on human pressure and feed produced during the monsoon season?

Speaking of monsoons, has there been decent rainfall in the past month? Thanks.

Jim

I've seen elk from the tops to the lowest cedars in September on the Fishlake. I think location of elk is dictated a lot by feed and so far this year it's drier than a popcorn fart.

>I ended up settling on the
>Meopta 15x56 binos. I'm still
>in the process of finding
>the right tripod. The outdoorsmans
>sound great but, the price
>doesn't work for me right
>now. I may be sticking
>with the 4# Vanguard for
>now.
>
>I got a great price on
>the binos from CamerlandNY. So
>far I like them a
>lot. The eye cups fit
>me well and I can
>spot deer from a mile+
>in the late evening out
>my back door. For the
>money, I'd say they are
>hard to beat. I've only
>compared them to Maven and
>Vortex though. I'm excited to
>put them to good use
>in Utah. I've picked out
>9 specific spots that I
>feel should produce animals due
>to topography or distance from
>roads. Finding areas that are
>2-3 miles from roads has
>been tough!
>
>For the guys that know the
>area, how big of a
>factor is elevation when looking
>for bulls in September in
>the unit? Does it just
>depend on human pressure and
>feed produced during the monsoon
>season?
>
>Speaking of monsoons, has there been
>decent rainfall in the past
>month? Thanks.
>
>Jim

No rain fall in the last month. Except for tonight. We finally got a good thunderstorm threw the area.
As the pressure increases the bulls tend to push up into higher country. There has been little rain but there is still water in the high country. Sure a few of our streams that are usually running are not right now. But others are running fine. There is still feed

On vacation, drove through Fishlake area before sundown today and saw two nice bulls down by 72. Later, after dark I came within a shaved rump hair of bagging an early season monster on edge of Monroe. Full floor brake check sure woke the kids up, all they saw was bull and antlers through winshield! Drove the next 50 miles at about 25 mph. Wayyyyy tooclose. But awesome to see a bull like that!

It getting close to that get up and go time. Got that August itch.
Good luck to everyone who drew a tag this go around.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I did a little hiking up there this weekend. A few of my favorite water holes are dry. First time in 10 plus years. There is still water above and below most of them. Just no water in the ponds.

>I did a little hiking up
>there this weekend. A few
>of my favorite water holes
>are dry. First time in
>10 plus years. There is
>still water above and below
>most of them. Just no
>water in the ponds.

Same observations here John. A couple have really surprised me.

I was hoping monsoonal rains have been wetting the area down. Doesn't sound like it. I'm still excited for the hunt though. Unfortunately, that excitement has been a bit hampered. I've been dealing with left achilles tendonitis that doesn't seem to be getting better. This has me a bit worried that I may not be able to get around very well!

Jim

>I was hoping monsoonal rains have
>been wetting the area down.
>Doesn't sound like it. I'm
>still excited for the hunt
>though. Unfortunately, that excitement has
>been a bit hampered. I've
>been dealing with left achilles
>tendonitis that doesn't seem to
>be getting better. This has
>me a bit worried that
>I may not be able
>to get around very well!
>
>
>Jim
>
You didn't make it up on the mountain last week ?

No. I couldn't make it out. I had my dates screwed up. My kids raise animals for 4H and fair was 8/5-8/12. There's no getting away from that. I'll be coming out on 9/11 and am scheduled off until the 24th. I'm hoping I can learn the area and find a good bull in that time. I've got so many areas marked on my OnX that I'm not sure where to even begin. I'll probably start narrowing it down on proximity to water and roads and then look for benches and other terrain features elk like.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom