Fislake Archery Elk

Shedhead03

Hey guys, well i drew a fishlake archery bull tag. Just trying to get the most info i can to set myself up for success. Just hoping some guys are willing to help out. Not very experienced with elk, but am very excited to have drawn. I was contemplating a guide because of my inexperience, but decided against it, feeling that wether i kill or not, the hunt would be more rewarding on my own. If anybody is willing to help out, pm me. Thanks in advance and i will try to keep everybody up to date throughout.

Congrats on your tag and one advice for the fish unit on archery . Don’t get discouraged with the hunters and hunter everywhere for spike/cows. Just venture a drainage or two over and you will be in the elk.

Ya i am already discouraged. Lol. They should have never put unlimited spike hunters pretty much into LE units. Money is the root of all evils. But it is what it is. I plan to get away from roads the best i can, hopefully that will help

Shedhead where is home? From my experience if you are close enough to go scout is a couple times in the Summer, you can arrive in the unit for your hunt and figure out where the pressure will push the elk. I'll bet you have a buddy who can call in your local archery club.

If you aren't local or can't get boots on the ground scouting then I wouldn't look down on a guy getting a guide. The unit has a good enough rep that there are plenty of guides who would like to have a Fishlake bull to their credit.

Ya i am already discouraged. Lol. They should have never put unlimited spike hunters pretty much into LE units.
I couldn’t agree more.

We just can’t have nice things……..

There’s people starving and they are pretty sure they’ll die before they can draw an antlerless tag.

Heartless SOB!

Shedhead where is home? From my experience if you are close enough to go scout is a couple times in the Summer, you can arrive in the unit for your hunt and figure out where the pressure will push the elk. I'll bet you have a buddy who can call in your local archery club.

If you aren't local or can't get boots on the ground scouting then I wouldn't look down on a guy getting a guide. The unit has a good enough rep that there are plenty of guides who would like to have a Fishlake bull to their credit.

I plan to hang some cameras next weekend to see what quality i see till i have to pull them down. I plan to at least go down 2 or 3 trips before the hunt, and will be hunting the last 16 days. I am about 4 hours away. I would go down every weekend if i could afford it. Thanks for the reply

For what it’s worth…my brother’s wife had that tag a couple years ago and said it kinda sucked right up until the spike season ended. Then all of a sudden the elk were seemingly easy to find and rutting confidently. She tagged out on a nice bull not too far into the backcountry. In any case, don’t get too discouraged up to that last week. Rather, have fun and save your resources and energy for that last week. That was his advice.

For what it’s worth…my brother’s wife had that tag a couple years ago and said it kinda sucked right up until the spike season ended. Then all of a sudden the elk were seemingly easy to find and rutting confidently. She tagged out on a nice bull not too far into the backcountry. In any case, don’t get too discouraged up to that last week. Rather, have fun and save your resources and energy for that last week. That was his advice.
Thanks. That's great advice

Went and picked up my cameras on the 18th. Got some decent pictures. Can't wait to get down there and chase some of these bulls.

Screenshot_20220723-211524_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220715-214059_Gallery.jpg

123_1(9).jpeg

123_1(11).jpeg

Attachments

• 20220716_201619.mp4
    5.7 MB
Ya i am excited. We got lots of pictures on every camera. Lots of bulls down there. Tons and tons of little rags, i even got some lions to.

We have had a lot of summer rain this year unlike last year. A lot of nice feed on the mountain . Horn growth looks great and some fat elk ! What are you driving on the mountain and where have you been camping ?

2011 duramax long bed
We have had a lot of summer rain this year unlike last year. A lot of nice feed on the mountain . Horn growth looks great and some fat elk ! What are you driving on the mountain and where have you been camping ?
2011 white duramax long bed with a black diamond plate tonneau cover. We have been camping by lost creek off of sevenmile. But we may end up camping in UM. Just depends on what's available

2011 duramax long bed

2011 white duramax long bed with a black diamond plate tonneau cover. We have been camping by lost creek off of sevenmile. But we may end up camping in UM. Just depends on what's available
I won't be there until sept 1st but my brother in law will be there from the opener

It’s the closest for you and it’s just a 10$ fee courtesy pay. The doctor creek just south of fish lake

It’s the closest for you and it’s just a 10$ fee courtesy pay. The doctor creek just south of fish lake

For those who do use this, please be smart and courteous with its use. I have witnessed people washing their cars with it. Cabin owners pay for the use of this water. At times on busy weekends the well has dipped low enough that we've been left without water.

Well wanted to give an update. I missed a pretty big bull the second day there at 55 yards. I was sick about it (picture of bull below). Through the 12 days that i hunted i had a few encounters but nothing seemed to work out. They would be just out of range, just barely on private, not really what i was looking for and so on. On the 12th day. I got radioed from my wife and brother in law that there were some bulls in a meadow above me. So i scampered up there to find 2 bulls and a rag at 80 yards. The 6x6 and 5x6 were sparring, while the little 3x4 was feeding. I snuck behind some trees to get closer for a shot. I got to 50ish yards before the little 3x4 busted me. I stood there for what seemed like 15 minutes dead still though it was probably like 1 minute. The 3x4 took off spooking the 2 other bulls. Then all of a sudden the 5x6 came through the trees at 20 yards. I figured this was a good opportunity and took the shot. I was sick because the bigger 6x6 came through right after i let the arrow fly. Oh well. I have been on one other elk hunt when i was younger on an open unit. I was happy with the outcome of the hunt. I killed a bull with my bow. I had a bear come to 15 yards of me, i bugle back and forth with some bulls and had an amazing experience while meeting some great people. BIGJOHNT took us out fishing with his amazing set up and showed us an amazing time. I could never say enough good words about that guy. Thank you all so much for reaching out and making this an amazing experience. My bull was not the biggest that i had an opportunity at but it gave me the opportunity to fill my tag and finish out the trip with a freezer full of elk meat and an amazing end to a great trip. We went 3 for 3. My brother in law killed a 6x6, and my 13 year old nephew got his 1st spike.

123_1(5).jpeg

20220913_110215.jpg

20220905_130348.jpg

Screenshot_20220909-115144_Gallery.jpg

Congrats on a fun hunt and a hard earned Fish Lake bull.

If you don’t mind, which part of the Unit did you see that bear. They are sure becoming more prevalent up there.

Excellent hunt! You did well!
Yes, BIGJOHNT is a stand-up guy, Talked several times and one of these days I'll run into him down there,
Zeke

Congrats! That's a great archery bull. Plus you got the full experience.
Fishing with BIGJOHNT.. what a bonus!

Thank you. They are wide spread it seems.
I had a bear on every camera I ran last year. There has got to be quite a few running those hills.

Congrats! That's a great archery bull. Plus you got the full experience.
Fishing with BIGJOHNT.. what a bonus!

I had a bear on every camera I ran last year. There has got to be quite a few running those hills.
I believe there are, and the same seems true on all of these Central Utah Mountains right now. Hardly a trail camera that gets set out isn’t seeing them now days.

Wolves………. or Sasquatch, not so much.

Here you go. I don't have any other pictures of it yet

View attachment 86916
Hopefully you did a full photo shoot for him to remember his first archery elk ! We didn’t take many pictures back in the day. I don’t think I have found one with my first branch antlered bull at fifteen. I can’t even remember my first deer. It’s hell to get old. How many remember dropping off your film to the photo both in the middle of the grocery store parking lot ? ??

Congrats. BigJohnT and his sidekick Duke are definitely the ambassadors of the FL!!!
They didn’t get to meet Duke. He is up hanging out in Bessies next of the woods. He will be home next Sunday. But he did score a perfect score on his VGP hunt test. That includes a blood track and a few scent tracks. For the record! There are no elk or bucks in Fish lake.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom