Fix it or don't Fix it?

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
I killed this oryx back in January and one side of the horn is broken. Should I get it fixed or leave it the way it is because thats the way I remembered it and shot it. It would look better if I get it fixed. BUT it's fake. Please Help.

Thanks,

ElkSniper

ElkSniper... I think even though the repair would be simple you should leave your OIL cow just the way you took her, there is no shame in a broken horn and your cow was not missing that much horn any how.. just gives her more character in my opinion.

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I can't seem to find the picture of your oryx but it is really up to you and how you feel about it. I've had a couple critters antlers/horns fixed over the years and am certainly glad I did it. I've had 2 elk tines repaired and will likely have a muley tine fixed for an upcoming mount.

Now that I got several of them fixed I often forget they were even fixed in the first place and they look very respectable rather than having broken horns/tines. However, if your taxidermist does a nasty job of recreating them you will likely look at the mount and say, "why did I ever have it fixed if it doesn't even look natural!" If you are going to have it repaired make darn sure the guy that does it knows what he is doing!

Every time you look at your mount are you going to wish you would have gotten it fixed or would you be a lot happier if it was repaired back to how it originally was prior to the break?

Here's the pic.
8602100_1534.jpg

Still dont know what I will do.

That's a great looking oryx congrads!

One thing you may want to consider if you are planning on getting your oryx mounted is to have your taxidermist turn the neck at a 45 degree angle (or so). That way the broken horn is closest to the wall and won't be as noticeable? You shouldn't have any horn clearance issues with the broken side.

If it was me I'd have it fixed! It is a pretty easy job for a taxidermist to match it to the good side.

Definitely fix it in my opinion. Just my two cents. My friend has a 390 class bull elk with one of the brow tines broken off and it sticks out like a sore thumb. He would love to fix it but we have not been successful in finding something that will match.

littlejoe, I had my taxidermist fix a broken elk pt. I looked through my pile of elk sheds until I found another point with the similar circumference/length as the tip that was broken off. He drilled holes in each, used thin round metal to tie the 2 together, then epoxied. It is pretty easy to match them back up this way rather than having to reconstruct a fake tip.

I have a deer mount that has a broken main beam that I decided to leave broken for the "character" or whatever... I kick myself every time I look at it... Wish I would have had it fixed...

I would fix it as well. I had my caribou back scratcher fixed, and then had my horns flocked. It looks great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom