Fixed Blade Braodheads

callsalot

I've been shooting Shuttle T's for awhile now because I feel they fly true like a field point but I also feel they don't come out of the box feeling sharp like other broadheads I've had. I'd really like to go to a fixed three blade broadhead that I can hand sharpen to my razor sharp expectations. I shot a very fast compound bow, not traditional. Any feedback is appreciated.

A few years ago, Trophy Taker partnered with a company to handle the sharpening duties of their Shuttle T-Lock broadheads and it resulted in the "Black Ops" version. However, for some reason this model is not listed on their web site...just the regular Shuttle T-Locks. Perhaps they are doing their sharpening in-house now? The Black Ops version is still sold online at a few shops.

As you know, the design of this broadhead make it challenging to sharpen the conventional way, so I've heard of folks using the Accusharp sharpener ($10 at Amazon) or taking the blades off and using a Dremel with a fine grit tapered attachment.

As far as other 3-blade heads, the QAD Exodus, Wac Em, Muzzy Trocar and old-school Muzzy have all flown like my field points and all were sharp out of the package. Be sure your bow is tuned, and even if it is, it may still be necessary to adjust your sight and/or rest to get them to fly like your field tips. Good luck and keep us posted!

>I've been shooting Shuttle T's for
>awhile now because I feel
>they fly true like a
>field point but I also
>feel they don't come out
>of the box feeling sharp
>like other broadheads I've had.
>I'd really like to go
>to a fixed three blade
>broadhead that I can hand
>sharpen to my razor sharp
>expectations. I shot a very
>fast compound bow, not traditional.
>Any feedback is appreciated.

If your looking for a good flying head there are a lot of heads out there. VPA makes some good heads that would fit your needs and are designed to be sharpened. Exodus also makes a similar head but i personally had some flight issues when shooting over 280fps with them.

I agree with the Shuttle T, I killed an elk with one and barely made it through the bull on a perfect double lung shot. I had to cut the hide on the far side because the head wouldn't cut its way out. After taking the head off it looked like I shot it into a rock pile. I will personally never shoot another one and through the other two away after seeing the blade retention.

The blade width is going to have the biggest impact in flight, your best to stay around 1 1/8" or smaller cut. Much bigger and they start to plane.

I prefer, two blade with bleeder blades which are way easier to sharpen and most of the time offer better flight as well.

LAST EDITED ON May-06-19 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]All good info posted above with some quality heads discussed......I'd just add that you should also consider the Magnus Black Hornet 4-blade. They are VERY sharp, fly phenomenal (field point accuracy) and penetrate well, as they are a true cut-on-contact design. They also have the very best warranty in the business......bend them or break them and you can send them back for a free replacement head......even if it's your fault. Good luck to whichever you choose.....hope you let the air out of a good one!

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/black-hornet/

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll check out each of the heads listed and probably try a few that are solid piece and manually re-sharped instead of replacement blades. Best luck to all this year.

VPA broadheads sound like exactly what you're looking for. They're a solid one piece machined head that are easy to sharpen and extremely tough.

Of all the fixed blades I've shot the one that is absolutely the sharpest out of the box, flies like a dart and holds up to bone is the G5 Striker. Scary sharp out of the package

I started using wensel woodsman's. They are a traditional cut on contact 3 bladed broad head. You can get them in 125 grain and they fly great for me.

Thanks for the input, I think Im going to get three of the VPA and three G5 and try them out and see which one I like better and then go with it. Thanks to everyone for the suggestion.

I shoot Montecs and hellrazor

I practice out to 100 yards and both fly the same so I can switch back and forth between both of them and field points once tuned. Hellrazors are typically a little cheaper but seem less durable when they hit hard objects.

I shoot 125 go for a little extra penetration.

How do the Montecs resharpen. I think I'm going to give those a try and I say the sell a sharpening stone alone to sharpen with. Have you tried that?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-19 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]>How do the Montecs resharpen. I
>think I'm going to give
>those a try and I
>say the sell a sharpening
>stone alone to sharpen with.
>Have you tried that?

I shoot the SS ones (only ones they make in 125gr). I actually run them over fine sand paper out if the box for hunting.

They are pretty easily to sharpen by sliding them on a stone. I have a little set of fine sanding blocks and touch all the ones in my quiver up before the season.

The CS ones seem sharper out if the box similar to the hellrazors.

Thanks again to everyone that weighed in on this question. For those of you that suggested broadheads with replaceable blades I appreciate your response but I'm about to start my 35th year of bowhunting so I've tried a ton of different broadheads over the years and have my reason for wanting a one piece head. The Monotec CS and the NAP's seem to be the choice for fixed blades so that is where I'm heading first.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-19 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]Give tooth of the arrow broadheads a try. You won't be disappointed. They are one piece.

Just wanted everyone to know I went with the G5 Montec CS for this year. Expensive but they are very sharp and I bought the sharpening stone that comes with it so I'll hopefully be able to give everyone a report on how they perform. There were some great suggestions and I wish I could try them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how they fly, I tried to like the Montec but would always get sparatic flight. I'm shooting Ramcats now and have no complaints.

I have used the 100 grn. .5 inch bleeder from Solid Broadhead company. Killed 4 bulls in 5 years At varied distances . They fly true as hell with my field tips. I can't get away from them.. you have the ability to sharpen with a leather strop.

Very expensive though..

For those of you that responded to my post about fixed blade broadheads I wanted to give an update. At forty yards the G5 Monotec CS's were shooting about a foot to the right. I made a site adjustment and they had been flying true. The shuttle T I had been using flew the same as my broadheads like I had mention earlier however with modern sites it's a quick adjustment and the G5 Monotec CS's are flying great now and are much sharper than the Suttle T's which was my complaint to begin with.I head to Idaho for a 10 day deer elk hunt on the 11th hope to share more photo's of how they did but for the first time in my life have some medical stuff going on that may limit my mobility so we'll find out. Thanks again for everyone that posted.

Stop screwing around with all these other heads, I've been down this road. Just buy the slick trick 100 gr. standard 1? cut heads. They are the best flying fixed blade made, and are proven killers. I'm telling you I've shot all of the above and nothing fly?s as true as these. I put an emphasis on the 1 inch standard heads, don't get caught up in the extra 1/8? they offer, you wouldn't think it would make a difference, but it does.

>Stop screwing around with all these
>other heads, I've been down
>this road. Just buy the
>slick trick 100 gr. standard
>1? cut heads. They are
>the best flying fixed blade
>made, and are proven killers.
>I'm telling you I've shot
>all of the above and
>nothing fly?s as true as
>these. I put an emphasis
>on the 1 inch standard
>heads, don't get caught up
>in the extra 1/8? they
>offer, you wouldn't think it
>would make a difference, but
>it does.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Based on tests with a Hooter Shooter Machine, they were NOT the best flying head......but pretty darn close. The best flying head tested was a Wac'em 100 grain Triton. Next was a ST.....then believe it or not the the Exodus.

>
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->
>
>Based on tests with a Hooter
>Shooter Machine, they were NOT
>the best flying head......but pretty
>darn close. The best
>flying head tested was a
>Wac'em 100 grain Triton.
>Next was a ST.....then believe
>it or not the the
>Exodus.

I had a friend that the only broadhead that hit with his field points was the Wacem. Then I fixed his setup, now he can shoot anything.

With a Hooter Shooter or human shot? Without going into a long dissertation even the perfect set-up bow shot out of a machine could not fly EXACTLY in the same spot is field points.....close, but not exact. However, I do agree that when shot by a human, they can be tuned to appear they fly the exact same, because of human error (form).

BOHNTR )))---------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom