flat top wilderness area

T

twister

i talked to some supposedly great elk hunters whosaid the flat tops is the only way to go what units does that consist of not familiar with that area? also any luck good or bad thanks

Generally speaking, lots of beautiful country, lots of elk, lots of hunters, not many really big bulls.
Mark

Like FamilyMan said lots of people up there, and I've never heard of or seen a real big bull come out of there, Not to say there hasn't been just never hear of it.

Lots of guys is an understatement....We used to hunt Unit 12 but jee wiz we were back in 6 miles and still see guys,,We are trying another wilderness with less elk but less guys.-Hatrick

If you like blaze orange it's a great place to hunt. Get there early so you can find a place to park.

GrizlyHunter

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-08 AT 01:54PM (MST)[p]Despite my mm name I grew up on and still return home to the Eastern side of the Flattops (Routt County side) and I can tell you that during any hunting season the Flattops are a zoo. During hunting season our small town (Yampa) is literally flooded with in and out of state hunting rigs, all coming and going in and out of the flattops... It's been a boon to our economy during the "off season" but it's gotten to the point that none of my buddies nor I will waste our hunting time dealing with the crowds. Don't get me wrong, depending on where you are in the range there can be quite a few elk. But, even archery season is overrun on our side of the widerness area and during rifle season let me just say that I'm not much for hunting elk that are just running from one hunter to the next. You can find some nice fringe areas that will get you away from crowded areas but you've got to do your homework and footwork to find them. It is a beautiful region and has provided a successful, memorable elk hunt to many a person, but be prepared to see a truck and "camp" in every turnout and camping space. If you are looking to get out in some beautiful country and work hard to get a chance at elk this can be a great experience. But, if you get bummed out by seeing other hunters and don't like to feel crowded, I'd go elsewhere. Even the back country here has too many hunters and outfitters camps for my taste...
Most bulls are raghorns. The biggest bull I have seen or heard of come out of our side of the flattops in the past twenty years was a legite 320" archery bull. A family friend picked up a 330" skull that winterkilled several years ago and I've seen a couple of other 300" archery bulls come out, but 99% are your typical Colorado raghorn bulls. I've heard tell of some monsters but never ever seen the evidence...A local DOW officer killed a 340" bull on private a couple of years ago but that is the biggest bull I know was killed in Routt county in the past 30 years.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom