Flight to Unit 34.....

Drexb

After years of applying, i am one of the excited and lucky non residents to draw unit 34 muzzy elk. Currently my buddy and i are on the plane to El Paso with only a sleeping bag, pad ,packs and a rented van to travel the unit and sleep in. Kinda roughing it but figure it would be the best to hit all corner of the unit to do some early scouting and learn the lay of the land. We want to figure out where we want to call home in October. We will figure it out as we are not afraid to hike and cover some country but willing to take any advice on starting points, general elevation we should focus on for that season, places to stay, or to focus on water this year? We will be there almost 5 days this trip and plan to come back 3-4 days before season. Trying to put in our time and not just freeload :)

They are everywhere up there you wont have any problems finding them or a good camp spot, not sure the dates and the numbers but expect to see lots of campers and hunters alike. Lots of trails so lots of rangers and ATV's recreating.. Good luck.

This is a bull I shot with muzzy many years ago in 34 and finally drew again for muzzy 13, and just got back from a scouting mission and very happy with the unit. I dont remember much about were I was in 34 except that is was just south of the center of the unit and this guy came to a cow call at first light and my hunt was over he taped out at 339
20210705_090412.jpg

Its gonna be a muddy trip. You will see elk everywhere now, but, it will be different come October. It will still be a great hunt though.

This is a bull I shot with muzzy many years ago in 34 and finally drew again for muzzy 13, and just got back from a scouting mission and very happy with the unit. I dont remember much about were I was in 34 except that is was just south of the center of the unit and this guy came to a cow call at first light and my hunt was over he taped out at 339View attachment 45370
This is a bull I shot with muzzy many years ago in 34 and finally drew again for muzzy 13, and just got back from a scouting mission and very happy with the unit. I dont remember much about were I was in 34 except that is was just south of the center of the unit and this guy came to a cow call at first light and my hunt was over he taped out at 339View attachment 45370
Nice bull!! I’d like to find that!!

Its gonna be a muddy trip. You will see elk everywhere now, but, it will be different come October. It will still be a great hunt though.
Ummmm yes it was muddy. That was crazy rain and flash floods. The old cargo van did amazing tho actually. We did see elk everywhere but I’m a little concerned how much different it will be in October especially when it’s only a 5 day season. We got some areas we liked and where we saw several bulls but they will be tough to get on.

Sounds like you had a good trip Drexb. I have and early Sept archery tag there, so will be driving over a couple times these next month or so. Shoot me a PM and we'll keep in touch.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom