Flying with a spotting scope?

NECALI

Can a spotting scope handle the 36,000 feet elevation flying commercial airlines? I’m assuming so, but don’t want to fly and have it ruin the scope because of the altitude pressure.

Homer is right. They are pressurized. I'd be more worried about the baggage handlers throwing your bag around. I work for an airline and I would carry it on.

Airlines wont insure more than 500 on lost luggage. Might want to bring with you as part of your carry on.

But there is a deductable on homeowners!

I had my truck broken into and $3100 worth of stuff was stolen including some Swaro binocs.

Window repair: $495. Auto glass decuctable: $500

Homeowners deductable: $3000. Wasn't worth filing a claim for $100 because it would make my insurance go up!

Got nothing for the windows or the stolen stuff!

No, pretty good insurance, but a big deductable. Do you know how high yours is? I didn't.

Whatever it is, you have to exceed that before they cover anything. So, even if yours is as low as $1000, your scope worth would have to exceed $1500 before homeowners would cover anything. $500 from the airlines + $1000 deductable. And pretty much all insurance gives you a "discount" for no claims. You lose the discount if you file a claim.

To be honest, ALL insurance is pretty crappy if you want to know the truth.

I am insured with Farm Bureau. But have a cabin in Colorado that I need homeowners insurance for. FB doesn't do that. So called State Farm. ASKED FOR JAKE. They told me I wasn't elegible for a policy for 2 years because my truck was broken into and I "reported" $3100 dollars stolen. I said, but I didn't file a claim?? State Farm said: doesn't matter, you reported it and we won't issue new policies on people who have reported a loss.

SO, NO JAKE, STATE FARM ISN'T THERE!

My Mom has some policies with SF and I am doing her finances now, so they will lose her business too! About $4000/year

My auto insurance has $0 comp deductible and my home owners has $500 deductible.......but you are right....none of them like you after any mention of a claim is made....even Jake

....and I have a cabin in a HIGH fire danger area....insurance is nearly impossible.

Okay, so how do you insure your guns if the airline loses them. easy to have $2,000 to $4,000 in one gun case.

I don't know about txhunter58 but I think Homer is right about me, I need better insurance. Over the last few years my insurance has become terrible (State Farm). My homeowners deductible went from $1,000 to $2,000 to $4,300. I did have replacement value on the contents but now I have actual value. Just what is a ten year old sofa worth on the open market. Premium stayed the same.

My truck was broken into just last week. Didn't have anything in it to steal but they broke the center section of the sliding rear window of a Toyota Tundra. I thought this 18 inch by 18 inch piece of glass wouldn't cost that much and I would just pay for it. Wrong, you have to replace the whole rear window, $740. So I paid my $250 Comprehensive deductible and the insurance paid the rest. But it looks like I may not be able to change insurance for a couple of years.

I don’t think the “comp” window replacement will affect you rates.

I tend to have high deductibles on most of my insurance needs. House,car, even medical insurance($3500). Last year was the first time I have ever met my medical deductible. Not bad for being 62. That means I somewhat self insure but have catostropic Insurance. Saves me quite a bit on premiums. If you want low deductible that means higher premiums. But my homeowners slipped up on me. It used to be $1000 but they changed it to 1% of your house coverage. $300,000 coverage has $3000 deduct. I am sure I got the memo on that and trashed it ?

so while I lost $3100 last year in my break in, I have saved way more than that thru the years. Double edge sword. That said I don’t know the airlines liability was $500 max. May have to rethink some things if I fly with guns in the future.

Sounds like I’ll be carrying the scope with me. Which I’d prefer. They would for sure loose it.

For domestic flights the airlines have to cover up to $3,500 for lost luggage for each ticketed passenger. For International flights it about $1,780.
But they will only only reimburse for actual value, not replacement value. So they will try to depreciate everything.

Domestic Baggage Liability

• For DOMESTIC flights, the current maximum liability is capped at $3,500. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount of $3,500 is set by a regulation.
International Baggage Liability

• For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,780.00 US). This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom