Flying with Firearm

oilcan

Long Time Member
My plans have changed and I will need to fly to my November whitetail hunt.
Which of the major airlines is the most Hunter friendly regarding flying with firearms and bringing back meat ?

Thanks

In my experience it's not the airline but the agent you draw at check in and the airport you are flying in or out of. If you draw the tree hugging hippie chick it may be an excercise of patience.

With that said print a copy of whichever airlines you choose policy and have them handy at check in. Follow their (and tsa's) procedures to the letter for packing and declaring your firearm plus meat coming home (no dry ice allowed on airlines). If they give you any lip politely show them the policies and ask for their managers assistance. Lastly if you're flying in/out of an airport that regularly deals with sportsmen you won't have any problems.

I've heard that if you just hide your firearm they won't find it so you're good to go. At least that's what all the dumbazzes do who get busted!
Good luck on your flight and mostly your hunt!!!

Zeke

#livelikezac

I checked Southwest but they don't fly into Rapid city S.D. so it looks like the Delta flights fit my schedule best.
Thanks guys

NOT United and the airport is just as much as issue as the Airlines. Southwest is good so is Delta haven't flown any others with an gun.

If you draw an agent that doesn't know anything about an gun but is checking yours out to make sure everything is in order you are in for trouble.

When leaving SF a few years ago for Canada the agent asked where my thingy was. I asked what is an thingy? He said you know that thing you put in your gun so it shoots. I said you mean a bolt? Yes that thingy.

New Mexico is great and doesn't give you any issues they are used to hunters.

I have flown out of Rapid on Delta with firearms. No issues. Just follow Delta's rules, be polite and you should be fine.

Give me a call if you want, fly with gun 4-6 times a year. BE NICE. Ammo in separate bag, gun dissassembled (most do not check), locks that are NOT TSA - but bring tsa just in case - so people do NOT know what is correct.

I've flown Delta many times with firearms. No issues. BTW, at least according to Delta (and probably all airlines) the comment above about dry ice is inaccurate. You can carry dry ice to preserve meat, but no "wet ice" is allowed. For details check their website.

Reference Dry Ice: Dry ice is authorized on the aircraft for example, I just flew Delta from my MT Antelope hunt and it must be 5.5lbs or less and marked with the weight on the cooler, just print out a document with the info and tape to cooler. The cooler must be able to ventilate the sublimation of the dry ice to Carbon Dioxide Gas. However, check your specific airline for details, it will be on each of there websites.

I agree with other posters that the airport you fly from has more influence than the airline. TSA regulations should be the same everywhere but you will see a lot of differences. But there are some basics that will apply everywhere.

You have to go the counter and declare that you have a firearm, no kiosk or curbside check in.

The firearm has to be unloaded and you have to sign an affidavit that it is unloaded. I have seen these cards taped to the outside of the gun case but I just put them in the case.

You have to have a hard case that you can lock with a key or combination that only you can open. Not a TSA lock. After you lock it they may open the latches to see if they can get to the gun. If they can you are SOL. I saw this once with a person with a flimsy can case that the agent reached in and pulled the gun out. It only had one hasp.

Most US airlines you can fly with the bolt in and ammo in the case. Air Canada may be one where you can't have ammo in the case. But if you want to be extra cautious then leave them out.

But a lot of other things can happen. Sometimes they manually inspect the case by taking everything out including the foam. They have done chemical wipe tests. I have had to go with a TSA agent to a large scanning machine.

When you get to your destination where do you pick up your rifle? At my home airport it comes up the conveyor with all the other luggage. But I have had to pick it up in the oversize luggage area. I have also had to go to the airline luggage office and show my ID to get it.

So give yourself some extra time to check in and upon arrival if it isn't on the conveyor with the other luggage then start lookin for it.

Agree with what airport means most. My gun case has come down with regular luggage and other times had to get and show id - no pattern even by airport. I am pretty sure TSA requires ammo to be in a separate bag. Right?

?Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
?Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

In the US unless the airline has different rules you can fly with ammo in the gun case.

Canada probably not. About five years ago I was going to Ft. St. John in British Columbia. My first stop in Canada was in Vancouver to go through customs, immigration and get a gun permit. Had to collect my luggage and when I went to check it in again they made me take the ammo out of the gun case.

Put the ammo in a separate checked bag. Many airlines require it. Why have to argue about it?

^^^Yes, this is correct. It is WET ice you can not fly with, and the antlers cost me an extra hundred bucks with united I believe it was?

With Delta

Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
?Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
?Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
?All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
?Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
?Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard?sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
?Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
?Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
?You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window.

?If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
?Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
?Customer must be 18 years of age or older
?All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm.

The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
?Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
?Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
?Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger

Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
?Pistol telescopes
?Noise suppressors
?A small pistol tool case
?No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
?One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools

?The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
?Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
?One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
?One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
?No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.

A couple of things to note on these policies:

It's not coming up the luggage conveyor, go to the luggage office to show ID and pick it up.

Everywhere it could be locked has to be locked. So if it has four padlock hasps there has to be a lock on each one of them.

I fly southwest, they are the best in my opinion. You can have two checked bags, one carry on and a personal item. U just need to make sure your gun is in a hard case and it needs to have a TSA approved lock on it. You can get the locks at bass pro, cabelas etc. also, the ammo can't be with the gun. I usually buy a plastic ammo case and put it in that and buy another lock for it as well. When you check the bag they will make you open the case and open the bolt to show them it Is unloaded. Wait until you see how many crazy looks you are gonna get lol. It makes me laugh every time I do it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom