Follow up to monster killed in wyo.

bigmoosie

Brian called again this morning and asked if I would write a little more about this great deer.First, Brian is as the guide from Nev. said one of the toughest most determined hunters that I know of, or have ever been around.For you guys that think you are tough, Brian hunted the last six days of this hunt with a fractured hip which will be operated on the 18th.Rob Willey of Non-Typical Outfitters spotted this buck before the archery season and called Brian and asked if he would like to hunt it.Well what do you think the answer was?Brian had to buy a commisinor's tag as he had not drawn one.No he is not one of the super rich, he owns and operates his own backhoe service.Brian puts in a awful lot of hours at work so he can pursue his passion which is BIG MULE DEER. They hunted him during the archery hunt and although putting in a lot of time and effort never saw him. Brian went back for the rifle hunt and they spent six days hunting this buck before they ever saw him.I don't want to tell all the details of the hunt as the story will more than likely be in a popular magazine.One funny little story as they were stalking this deer. Rob turned to Brian and said I THOUGHT YOUR LEG HURT ,Brian replied "I'm high on MULEY MORPHINE" They got in the black timber were they thought he was the buck jumped, Brian shot the deer continued down the hill, he shot again and thought after all they had done to get on this deer he thought he had missed.Brian said he was thinking about finding a cliff to jump off of.Rob called to him to come down to look for blood after just a few steps Rob hollars he sees him. The celebration was on. Congratulations to both for taking a great deer, This is the way a great deer like this should be taken,not on his winter range or poached.To Groundscrounger they had named this buck MAGNUM,I have probably written to much about this great deer already but thought everyone would like to more about him and to maybe clear up a few rumors which always come out wgen someone kills a buck of this caliber. Rob says that he will posts some more pictures when he gets time as he is still hunting.

That is awesome. It is always more rewarding when you have to work that hard for it. Sounds like a cool guy. Congrats to him on a legendary buck.

sounds like a guy who deserves this deer.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

That is a great buck and congrats to the hunter. But I'm a little bugged as to why the outfitter would call someone that doesn't even have a tag, to ask if he wanted to buy a tag and hunt it. Why didn't the outfitter take one of his clients that already had a tag and was contracted to hunt with this outfitter? I talked to this outfitter about booking a hunt as I had a tag this year and am going back up today to hunt the rest of the season. But I chose not to go guided for fear that this exact thing would happen. The monster bucks that were spotted before the hunt would be hunted by those with deeper pockets.
Now, none of my concern has to do with the hunter and congrats to him for killing an awesome animal, and I would do the same thing if I could. But it just proves that what I worried about is a reality and the proof is in this thread.

I was wondering the same thing. Since I don't have a dog in this fight or know any of the particulars of what happened I am not going to form any oppinions one way or the other. All I can say is that is a great buck, congrats to the hunter on a great trophy, sounds like you got it done the hard way and job well done by Robb. He consistantly guides his clients to excellent bucks while the rest of us piss and moan about 24" 4 points. I do have a feeling this will get interesting.

I thought that when I read what was written. It's all about money with our big game herds. Not shooting it in the rut in the lower country is great, but what would have better if it would have been shot by Mr. First Permit Draw who was not guided. All that being said, I would certain go on the guided hunt, especially on a white tail hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p]In Wyoming outfitted hunters normally ride in and out of an area each morning from forest service permitted outfitter camps, I believe one reason the handicapped guy was chosen is because an exception was asked for and made in the forest service rules because of his condition, spike camps allowed them to camp on the buck, and a kill was finally made.

A lot of you guys are reading a lot more into this than was written. Brian has hunted with Rob the last 4 years, he had left a deposit with him.Where does it say he was handicapped, not at least before the hunt. He injured his hip in a horse wreck, which if any of you have hunted that country whould know could happen at any time.I myself spent 15 days in the Jackson hospital after a horse wreck in that country.Brian and Rob have a history together I would guess maybe they like each other or maybe just enjoy hunting together. Brian is no deep pockets guy he had to sell a piece of property to go on this hunt.I not nieve enough to believe for a minute that outfitters like anyone else don't have friends that they would rather hunt with than just any Joe Blow off the street, just the way it is guys. know that Brian was filling his backpack with 90lbs in order to get ready for this hunt.I don't know this for a fact but maybe Rob thought that maybe Brian would be the best man for the job. Just the way it is guys.If any of you think that Non-Typ doesn't produce you better look at his gallery. I just don't understand all the jealously and always bitching about the rich guy always killing the biggest or the best,just the way real life is guys, if you don't like it work harder or get a good outfitter for a friend. I'm sure Rob could have gotten a lot of money from one of MR.DEEP-POCKETS but he didn't he called a friend I give him a lot of credit for that.I'm sure he could mavbe gotten maybe $100,000 or more for a chance at this deer, the fact that he didn't says a lot to me about him as a man.WHY CAN'T WE JUST TRULY APPRECIATE A GREAT DEER AND THE EFFORT IT TOOK TO GET IT.

+1 bIG moosie. I think you are spot on. Sounds like the outfitter called Brian, because he figured he was the one to hunt that buck. It doesnt happen very often that a giant buck like that, gets harvested. Those kind of deer usually get away. I just got back from region G, and we didn't have that kind of sucess. But I'm happy for the hunter, GOOD JOB BRIAN!

Thanks

Doug

So there were no spike camps involved bigmoosie? nothing different than the other outfitters do, no exceptions from the forest service?

Well, it sure sounds to me like Brian was the perfect hunter to take that buck. I bet he appriciates it more than any of us know. Congratulations to Brian, and thanks bigmoosie.

Eel

No exemptions Piper, they rode out each morning. Every thing legit guys. A non=guided hunter has a huge advantage in Wyo. because of the rule that an outfitter has to return to camp each night.Get off your asses guys and get off the roads maybe you will get something like this I hope you do.Years ago when I could walk, we would be camped up on top waiting for the guides to push the deer to us. Although a deer like this is probably pretty much nocturnal. Also really old bucks usually no longer rut so they aren't as likely to get shoot as some younger bucks. Old bucks are like old men they just think about how great they were when they were younger. Good luok everyone lets get that non-typical record back from the Canadians. LOL

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]Nothing against your buddy and its a great buck. Just stating what worries me about booking a hunt.

good to hear that there were no spike camps used, There are so many professional outfitters and guides in Wyoming, I believe the use of spike camps would make it even harder for us recreational hunters to have a chance for a trophy.

Sounds like the guy pays his dues, both in and off season. I don't begrudge an outfitter picking his hunters if the choice exists. Some are no doubt more willing to do what it takes and more pleasurable to hunt with. Part of business is making money. Looks like an outfitter who normally gets his hunters onto good animals and a hunter who also routinely gets the job done.

Jealousy and a propensity to armchair quarter back tends to lead to a lot of second guessing.

Sounds like Brian is heck af a guy and put alot of hard work into getting this deer. I seen afew photos of the deer floating around and imediately(thinking the worst)thought it was probably some punk kids driving down the road with guns hanging out the windows that happend to run into him. I'm very glad thats not how it happend. I'll bet his popularity would have been right up there with popeye, morty and goliath if people would have know he was around. Luckily he seemed to fly in under the radar everywhere he went or there would have been alot of people out looking for him. I've been into antler hunting for over 15 years now and when I found his 07' shed back in 08' he was all I could think about. The last 3years I pretty much quit hitting my other spots and focused on finding his match. Well I found his 08's left shed and thats when it spiraled out of control for me. Since then I drove the old 76' highboy into the ground trying to get a glimps of this monster but he just seemed to disapear. I figured he must have died off or got poached until this spring when I met up with a guy that found his 11' left shed. After hearing rumors of where he was taken, he would have traveled a VERY long ways to his winter range. So with any luck I hope "Palmer" and "Magnum" are not the same deer, twin brothers maybe. Congrads to Brian. Sounds like he put up alot of hard work and hunting this deer with a fractured hip couldnt have been very much fun. It makes me feel better knowing that the living legend in my mind was really earned.

Great reply Groundscrounger,sound like a class act. We need more people on here like you rather than the sniveling complainers.

OK, I have been watching this thread and the other about Brian and Robb's monster buck and just could not stand it anymore. I have met Brian and have hunted with Robb. First of all, both are really cool guys. Robb is as good as they get for chasing deer and his staff and scouting before the season is the best I have ever seen and I have hunted with a several outfitters.

With that said, there are certain facts we need to recognize in this discussion. 1. There is no way Brian would have killed that buck had Robb or one of his guides (James?) not found it. 2. There is no way that Brian would have killed that buck had Robb not guided him to it. This situation is very similar to the big buck Brian killed with Robb last year. Robb had the buck scouted, took Brian to it and killed it opening morning by 10 am. Brian has told me himself that he goes on a lot of hunts and spends a lot of money chasing mule deer. There is no doubt that Brian sacrifices a lot to pursue his passion, as do a lot of people.

I do think as a professional outfitter, Robb should have been up front with his clients that he had these bucks scouted and they should have had the same opportunity that Brian had. I don't know how that could be done, but I am sure it is possible. Like has been said on this thread, there is something not quite right with a professional outfitter scouting the biggest deer two years in a row for one hunter. I mean if you are a prospective client do you go in with the understanding that you have an opportunity for the best deer scouted unless Brian is in camp?

To address the 300 pound gorilla in the room; I do not think Brian paid more money for an opportunity at this buck. Robb Wiley is an honorable man and a highly reputable outfitter. I think what has been said here is very true, Robb likes hunting with Brian and knows Brian will spend the money for the tags and will take the time needed to make the hunt successful.

I don't want to be a hypocrite; like the other folks have stated given the opportunity, I would do the same thing Brian did. This is truly a buck of a lifetime and again my congratulations go out to both of them and to everyone at Non-Typical.

With all the money that is now going into hunting monster muleys, this is an important dialogue for hunters to have and before bigmoosie and some of the others get all excited and start ripping me up, this is just one person's opinion and I hope you take it in the positive spirit it was intended.

+1 Great post deerhntr!

letting his "friend" shoot the biggest buck this year and last year DOES NOT LOOK GOOD TO FUTURE CLIENTS wanting to book a hunt in hopes of killing a monster buck. by giving his "friend" the biggest bucks it seems he doesn't care much about the others. Who cares about the others, right?

OK let me get this right Rob or whoever at Non-Typ spot a huge buck before the season he's supposed to tell everyone that he deals with, he has seen ONE SPECIFIC buck. Come on guys get real you should know that a buck like this is probably going to be very difficult to hunt he is going to tell every prospective hunter he's going to kill this buck. From looking at Rob's web site it looks to me that his hunters do very well, I don't know what he tells his hunters but I know that I wouldn't want to be told well I seen a monster buck, and that will be the only deer we will be hunting. I don't think too many hunters has the will or drive to just hunt OHE SPECIFIC BUCK very hard to do guys.I know that there was an outfitter a few years back just south of Rob's area that went to all the big hunting conventions,always had a hunt at the auctions. This outfitter would get up and say that he had seen a 50 inch buck in his area. the people would go crazy bidding. This went on for a couple of years, do all of you think he really seen a 50inch deer or was he just running up the bidding.I don't think I would tell prospective hunters about a buck like this, cause I know how hard it is to usually kill a deer like this.Like most of on here have said hunting is hunting is you want a guaranty go to a game ranch.I think that Rob probably called Brian about this deer because he realized how hard it would be to kill this deer, and knew that he wouldn't be really disappointed if he didn't kill it. Another year an outfitter fried of mine called me and said he had access to a ranch in S.E. Colo. that hadn't been hunted in quite a while. He said it could be really good or really bad, would I be interested in going, he was looking to take 4 hunters. I had hunted with this outfitter several times and had never taken a deer with him, so he know I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't kill anything. We went I took Brian and his dad and my wifes cousin. Brian killed a triple main beam buck, his dad a 36inch buck with a hug. e droptine. Louie killed a very nice 4pt, I didn't kill because I never seen the buck I wanted. But what if we hadn't seen anything I think that most outfitters aren't willing to take this chance with every hunter. I know if I could still walk I would go with Rob every year, and no I haven't hunted with him, I talked to him at a hunting show many years ago in Sacramento Cal.and was very impressed then.

Bigmoosie you say, ?OK let me get this right Rob or whoever at Non-Typ spot a huge buck before the season he's supposed to tell everyone that he deals with, he has seen ONE SPECIFIC buck.?

Not everyone he deals with, just the ones who are paying him $6000 plus, i.e. his clients. In Fact Robb's past practice is to share scouting photos with clients before the hunt. I hope photos of this buck were shared.

Brian is not the best or worst hunter Robb has in his camp, I think what people are saying is that all the clients should have the same opportunity. Possibly Robb guides one hunter one day on the buck, and another hunts it the second day until they harvest it. If they harvest opening morning, so be it. If this buck is going to be too difficult to kill, tell the clients that and let them make the decision. Just an opinion.

Thanks for your input.

I have hunted in region G... 7 times with an outfitter. Never been with Robb but I will say this...A few yrs ago I talked to him at a show and was thinking of booking a hunt with him until he said that I would be last in the order because all of his clients that previously had been with him got first pick. Whatever that meant I am not really sure but I can take an educated guess.

"Do you like Apples ? Well I got her
number, How do you like those Apples !

If I paid an outfitter the going rate I would expect the same effort by my outfitter to put me on a trophy animal whether I was a past client or not.

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-11 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p]+1 Eldorado!

So what happens if a "first time" client is hunting with Robb and Robb spots a deer like this. Robb is surprised to see this monster buck in this area because the monster was hanging out 6 miles away and his "friend" is hunting where the monster use to be. Does Robb hurry and try to move the "first timer" to a different area so he doesnt see it? then get his "friend" or repeat buddys on the deer? I have heard storys of this exact thing happening from guides working for outfitters.
Im sure the guy that shot the buck is a great hunter and loves big old mule deer and will spend the time and money to get it done, and he's a great all around guy. Sounds like he got way more time then the standard 5 day guided hunt then the average guided hunter. 15 of the "first timers" are just as good of a hunter or better so sorry he's not the only one that had the skills and desire to kill a monster. he just had the repeat status or "friendship" as well as money to do it.
Go ahead and say im just jealous/envy, whatever. Truth is im not! Even if I had booked with robb, I wouldnt have had a chance at this buck. Even if Robb would have guided one of his "first timers" to it, it wouldnt have been me.
Ive killed plenty of big mule deer up to 203 inches, so this isnt about me. Its about the guys that have waited in line and been told by Robb or any other outfitter that he is out scouting months before the season for those that booked a hunt, Only to be sold out to a friend that can buy the tag.

I wasn't going to write any more on this but than I read the last few posts.What a bunch of idiots.First Mr. DEERHNR.you wrote that Brian killed the biggest buck with Rob the last 2 years, got me to thinking. So I go to Rob's gallery for 2010 out of the first 10 bucks there I personally would shot 8 of the others, sorry Brian.In his ad about pre-scouting, he says he scouts at least 4 months, I'm sure they see several bucks in this time frame.For you super deer hunters to suggest that Maybe Rob should take everyone out after this deer, shows me how much you guys know about mule deer hunting.WEll just hunt him everyday with different hunters, it might happen but I dought it.Mr DEERHUNTER how in the hell do you know if Brian is the best or worse deer hunter in camp? He may not be the best but I would bet he ain't the worse. I would also bet he is in better shape than 90% of the hunters in camp. I would also bet that he is the toughtest SOB in camp without a dought. And I'm sure he got more than just the standard 5 day hunt, whats wrong with that. I'm sure that most hunters probably couldn't take more than 5 days to hunt this deer. Probably because most of us have to work, but more so because of the physical effort this type of hunt requires. 15 of the first timers areas good or better hunters, I'll take that bet MR DEERHUNTER, I know that many outfitters depend on repeat customers,makes life a lot easier if you know what your getting. Have you guys ever tried to hunt elk on the White River Apache several year waiting list, same with the Jicarilla for mule deer.I personally think you are really jealous or why are you running your mouth so much. I would bet that most of Rob's hunters this year are very happy with thier hunt and probably all ready rebooked for next year. Sold out for a friend, sorry, sorry I don't see it this way.Like I said I'm positive that this deer could have been sold very bad choice of word there.It probably could have been OFFERED to some of MR.DEEP POCKETS for a lot of money.I'm not sure how many of the MDP's could have taken the time or effort to kill these deer. Why in the kill can't we just be very happy for Brian and Rob and a great deer, MAGMUM.

bigmoosie Give it up about how awesome rob is and stop trying to defend him. People can have there own opinions. I have my own about him after talking to the game and fish with things they are looking into with him and his operation. My opinion is that if you go to a guide for a species like a muledeer because you want to kill a big one you dont truly have what it takes to go after big muledeer you are counting on a guide to do all the hard work. Basicly wanting the glory with out the guts, Yeah you may be there for the hunt and have to be in shape to hunt the deer. But the guide found the buck and patterned it, all the hunter has to do is show up in camp and follow the guide to the deer. It take a specail type of person that wants to kill a deer like this on there own they might not achive there goal but atleast they tried to do it with out the help of money and someone elses hard work. That being said congrats to the hunter the deer is huge. And no I am not jealous I have killed some big deer in the past, dont deer hunt anymore and I have found alot of giant 200+ deer sheds over the years so I have nothing to be jealous over.

+1 Big Moosie. Tired of all the whiners too. Happens everytime someone kills a giant buck, it's sad. But thats how life goes, thanks for posting the pics. My kids got a phone pic of that buck last Wednesday, we were on Commisarry Ridge at the time. Your friend Brian, had stopped in Verdi, Nevada to show a friend, who is next door neighbors to my kids buddy. We just about sh##. All it said was, Region G buck, whats your guys problem. Congrats to Brian, with the buck of ten lifetimes.

Thanks

Brownie

Dang brownie, Im sad to see your as clueless and blind as bighussie. Its not about a guy killing a monster buck or jealousy. Pull your heads out of your pie hole for a minute and think for yourself! This is the kind of action that has ruined hunting. BIG $$$$$$$$$$.
Anyone wanting to book a hunt, dreaming about killing a monster buck should be worried about this kind of action that has taken place.
The only thing that bothers me is Robb had dozens of clients (many Return Clients) already booked to hunt with him with tag in hand. Then called a guy without a tag because he knew he could afford it. If the guy already had the tag and hunt booked I wouldn't care at all if robb gave him first chance. Ya I know why he did it. He's running a business to make him the most $$$ possible and its not in the average joe's that had to save for a lifetime just to do his first guided hunt.
Trust me when I say I am not jealous one bit! Ive killed monster deer and all have been DIY. I hunt to have fun and enjoy the outdoors with family and friends. Im sure one day I'll go on a guided hunt , but when that day comes it wont be with someone that has 80 deer hunters in camp and is willing to sell off the biggest animals. It will be with the small, average, hard working joe that does it because he loves it.
But keep on having a ManCrush on Robb and acting like what happened was perfectly normal and acceptable. your only fooling yourself!

Dryboot if your so dam% good why had you called an outfitter? A lot of what you say totally counterdicks what you had previously said, sounds like all BS TO ME.Again if Rob was trying to make the most money possible I think he would have went with one of the big money boys, I'm sure Denny or Dan or many of the others out there probably would have been interested.Brian has killed many bucks over 30 and many other great bucks before he ever hunted with a guide,He his dad and grandfather have all killed bucks that would net B.C. so I dont think he needs to be led around by the hand. I also know that he has been asked to go on several gov tag hunts because of his hunting ability.I don't personally know Rob but again just going off his website, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to go with him.

Hey bigmoosie, Thanks for all the info! Congratulations to the hunter! If I remember correctly the same BS was all over the internet about the guy who shot the biggest buck in Wyoming last year!! Rumors and BS get so old. Maybe due to the fact that non-residents are shooting the biggest dear. I like your comment about "getting off your asses and get off the roads"! Maybe its just a Wyoming thing because I didnt see a bunch of BS after the two Arizona ballers were taken, or for that matter Robbins buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just think all you guys can complain again next year.

Ok bigmoooosie,
IM going to tell you this one more time, so pull your head out of the sand and pay attention!
I have nothing against your buddy Brian and congrats to him for killing an awesome mule deer! Again, nothing against brian, SAVVY??? or do I need to say it one more time?
Im just not a fan of on outfitter telling his buddy to buy a tag. to me that is saying piss on the others, your not as important!
Give one of his repeat client-friends a chance that already had the tag and was already booked to hunt. Give one of the first timers a chance, maybe a youth or handicap, but do not keep this buck a secret and tell someone to go buy a tag and come hunt it until you kill it. I dont care if that someone is Bill F'ing Clinton!
Im not against outfitters as I am a guide and I love it. I guide those that book a hunt because i know the area and give a better chance to be successful. I dont need a guide to kill a decent animal and neither does anyone else. but im smart enough to recognize that if I want a chance at a great animal in a area i dont know, my chances are far better with someone that knows the area. Duh! But im not going to Keep a big animal a secret and have a guy come in and buy a tag and hunt it. Im going to give one of the first hunters that booked a chance depending on there expectations, ability ect. But I can tell by your stance that you are against doing the right thing and are more concerned with what benifits you or a friend.
Ok you can put your head back in the sand. Have a good life!

Agreed Dryboot.

There is something inherently wrong if any outfitter that you contracted with is selectively putting returning clients into better areas or onto a specific trophy animal.
To pay the going rate and unknowingly not be given the same due consideration as a returning client is simply wrong in my book regardless if that client is holding a high value tag.

Eldorado

Ok ALL WET BOOT I think you have been sniffing to much of your paint. I tried to point out several reasons why someone might want someone that they know what to expect from on a hunt like this. I dont know Rob or what his reasons where. I just know that I would want someone I could count upon when AND A MIGHTY BIG IF We did find the deer. Whats to say someone else might not kill this deer or even a bigger one, last time I checked these deer weren't all tied up. I was hunting with another outfitter friend of mine one time in eastern Colo. they came upon a monster buck he had been after for several years they jumped this buck at 75 yards they watched it run off in the wide open country till it went out of site. I guess the guy was waiting for the perfect T.V. shot turns broadside and atands there looking at them, then they gut shoot it and come back the next day to get it.I don't know Robs reasons for calling Brian but I would bet a few of them have been things I have mentioned.I know it wasn't money for many of the reasons I have mentioned.And how does an outfitter know which are the better areas and where the trophy animals are hiding, granted they know where most of them are, but not the old super MAGNUM buck we are all looking for.These bucks like I have said are mostly nocturnul, don't rut anymore and led a really solitary lifestyle, thats why there big guys. I really dont care what you guys think,just pointing out some things I have learned from hunting these magnificent beast for over 50 years. Anb like my dad always told me you can't win an argument with an idiot.Oh by the way ALL WET BOOT what did you kill up there I really hope you killed a good one.

Tag soup for this wet boot. Nothing big enough, maybe they will be someones trophy in a few years?
I like your dads advice, I was thinking the same! :)

Listen you BIGWUSSY, you might be brain dead, you ask dry boot how does he know that guides and outfitters know the best areas and Where most of the trophy animals are? And you say they dont know? That is retarded, they spent there lives in the hills watching learning finding the biggest animals and they learn which areas usually produce the biggest animals, that's how they build clientell that returns yr after yr, you don't call a guide just looking for someone to hunt with you expect that guide to take you where the animals usually are, 99.9% of guides won't take you up and say "well were going to hunt a place I have no idea about or don't even no if there is any animals here but let's just go look around and have a gay old time!" people hire guides for a couple reasons, 1- might be first time to area or out of state
2- lack of time to scout or learn area and boundaries
3- only have a couple days to hunt
4- want a better chance to kill a trophy animal
5- understand guides have many areas that produce yr after yr
6- understand guides have trophy animals spotted months in advance

If I drew a quality tag and didn't have time to scout and learn the area I would call a guide expecting him to help me do what I don't have time for, that's his pay check right, and I wouldn't expect him to give me the left overs after he gets all his buddy's a monster, I want the same chance as everyone if I heard this happen I sure as hell wouldn't rebook the next yr, you must trying to become robs new buddy buddy so next yr he will call you when he spots that monster, you act like nobody knows how to hunt hard and put in effort to kill a whopper, I used to think the same till I started hunting hard myself. I used to look over maps and find the biggest nasty country and say I bet no one hunts that, until I hiked up there and was surround by other crazy hunters, maybe you don't got what it takes to get the job done and hunt your balls off, I'm sure rob had plenty of other hunters just as willing as Brian to do what it takes especially if they saw pictures of a buck like that, keep sucking up so one day you will get that call, or maybe your so bad ass you just do it DIY

You got the name right Leadhead. If you could past a second grade level you would see that I said the guides probably dont know the exact bush the big deer is hiding in. Yhese mtn bucks are always moving around usually have more than just one hidey hole. Most of your reasons are very good reasons to hire a guide. I still just dont think most people has the drive or the ability to Consistently kill these huge bucks or there would be more of them killed. Why do we see so many of these big bucks on the winter range if you guys think they are so easy to kill. I cant walk any more AS%Hol% or I could do it myself done it for over 40 years. So I don't think I'm sucking up to Rob. Most of these thoughts are mine but based on a hell of a lot of miles chasing deer in most of the western states. Most without guides. I have been very lucky to have hunted a lot of these states when the deer herds were very good and a lot of years when they weren't. I'm done on this post everyone has there own ideas about this deer and how it was handled. I think its just to bad when everyone gets on here and think they know what happened, and that Rob should have had everyone up there at one time, I guess you UTARDS would like that would remind you of Deer CReek opening morning.

First off,congrats to the hunter on the buck of ten lifetimes!IMO,the killing of this buck is not a good thing.Why?Because now the Wy G&F will still think there is nothing wrong with our deer herds.In reality,they are suffering badly,especially where this buck(and last years buck as well)was killed.G&F can now say"See??Our deer herds are fine!Look at the size of these deer!"Also,I do question the outfitter's reasoning on calling Brian rather than having an already booked hunter hunt this buck.I'm sure he has his reasons,but Dry-Boot brings up a very valid point.I wonder if Eastman's get privileged treatment from an outfitter in SW Wy?Or any other TV personality on any other outfitted hunt?Ya think?There is no doubt that this does happen.I can see Robb calling the guy because he is a good friend,and repeat client.That's kind of the natural thing to do.But that DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.In fact-just the opposite.It makes Robb look bad for doing it.Just my opinion.

Hey Dryboot, I don't have a man crush on Robb from non typical.I dont even know him. I don't care if he takes his friends on the big buck hunt.All I was saying was, Brian killed a giant buck, and he should be congratulated.As far as the PRIVATELY OWNED business, that Mr. Wylie owns, I don't care. If he pisses all his clients off, then he wont have a job! Thats his problem, not for us to decide.Great buck Brian, and thanks BIGMOOSIE for posting the pics. Thats why I frequent this sight, to see the big bucks.

Thanks

Brownie

Hey BIGMOOSIE, would you mind clueing me in if Brian decides to put his deer in a magazine and which one? I don't normally buy mags or even look that often but would really like to get an issue of which ever mags MAGNUM is in. Thanks a bunch.

Hello Everyone, I am not someone who neither posts on MM often nor am doing this to stir the pot anymore than it already is. I spend some time looking at MM and reading the forums and looking at the pics just to see what is going on. There has been enough people post to this thread with plenty of opinions, that I thought I should step up and say something. Everyone has there own opinions and always will, that's human nature and will never change. With that said, I am a guide for Robb at Non Typical Outfitters. I have been with him for a number of years now and we have become good friends away from hunting season, so I hate to see people run his name and business into the ground as if he don't care about anything but himself and money?because that is far from the truth. Robb takes pride and respect in himself and his family above anything else, which if why we does as well as he does in the outfitting business. When he found Magnum in August, he spent a lot of time, money and effort not only to keep tabs on Magnum but also to keep him a secret from the rest of the public?.we all would of done the same. It would have been a lot easier for Robb to go hunt and kill Magnum himself or for that matter one of us guides or a best friend from home?.He also probably could of ?sold? the buck for a lot more money that he charges for a normal guided hunted. From a business standpoint with his family in mind, Robb knew that it would be in his best interest to guide a hunter/client into Magnum. Now the question became ?who? would be the hunter that got a chance (and a emphasis chance) to purse the buck? If Robb could of got a Magnum caliber buck for everyone, I'm sure he would of but this buck is a once in a lifetime dream buck. Mule deer hunting is not about the killing, its about the hunt itself and the true passion one has for mule deer and the country in which they live in. Obviously I don't have all the answers, but if I were to put myself in Rob?s shoes, when taking into account his passion for mule deer, I would want someone to harvest Magnum that I knew without a doubt had put out the time, effort, and hard work in the past, one who has the true passion for mule deer, and would respect and cherish the buck for what he really is. I know that may sound weird but?.I have been the guide who gave up my personally hunting time and time with my wife and family in order to pursue high country mule deer for the passion of it. I have been that person that guided a hunter/client onto a hammer buck and he had no emotion and/or respect for what he had just killed because the buck didn't look like the ones on TV or in the magazines?.as a 190-200? deer is laying at their feet. Every buck deserves more than that, especially Magnum. In this case, Brian luckily became that ?guy.? Yes he has killed a great buck with Robb in the past, but what these previous posts don't say is that Brian has chased bucks in region G for 15+ years as a non resident and hunted with Non Typical several times. Brian was prepared to hunt this buck and this buck only. He knew it was going to take some luck on their side to even just look at the buck through the spotter, no less kill him. He was willingly to pay the money for the hunt (which was no more than a normal hunt) and take the time knowing that it may all be for nothing. They could have went up on the mountain and never seen another buck, no less Magnum. A lot of clients aren't prepared to do that. I'm not saying that there weren't other hunters/clients who would be deserving of the buck and who would respect and cherish the deer to its fullest, but how is one to know (without a doubt) going into the season. There was a post earlier that only the high paying return clients/friends get a chance at the big bucks found from scouting. Last year, the biggest buck was 207? killed by a young gentleman who had never hunted with Robb nor had he even hunted mule deer. Another stud buck was passed on by my hunter (a first timer with Robb) and killed the next day my one of our other hunters in camp(also a first timer) Yes, we could taken a return client or a ?good tipper? up to kill the buck, but we DIDN?T. I can go on and on with stories like this but there is no need. Everyone will make their own opinion. I was just hoping to shine a little light on the situation. Like I said earlier, I am not posting this to open a bigger can of worms.

Robb will post the pictures and story on his website after hunting season has passed

Thanks

Thanks for the post,370.That does shed somewhat of a different light on the situation.Appearances are often deceiving,and at first glance you could see how many opinions were formed about this hunt.I try not to formulate an opinion until I know most or all of the facts about something.From what I knew about this hunt,it didn't look quite kosher at first glance with the info put on here by BigMoosie.Valid points were raised by some posters.You can see how it made Robb look a little questionable to many of us.I'm sure Robb is a fine person and had his reasons for calling Brian to hunt this deer.But it raises the question about outfitter favoritism,for sure.Not saying that's what happened,just sayin'...It can look that way to some.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom