Follow up to my Sabots question

alinrut

so, I now have decuded that I want to stay Colorado legal, any recommendation on NON Sabot bullets to get me out about 200 yrds and still carry the energy to knock down am elk? BH209 just doeant perform in my CVA Accura, even with the specific breech plug... could be my percussion cap...

This is my ballistic data... not sure Im comfortable at 200 yrds with 900 foot lbs of energy...

Screenshot_20200817-055642_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ali: I don’t see a bullet name (or powder) in your post. But maybe I am missing it?

300 gr Thor
350 gr Federal BOR Lead
460 gr No excuse

90 gr of fffg 777 for the 460. Maybe 95-105 for smaller bullets. Remember fffg is about 10% stronger than ffg

Last edited:
txhunter...

270 grain powerbelt platinum.... 100 gr of pyrodex RS

I will look into those and see what I can work with

You are good with your pyrodex RS although you could switch to pyrodex P. P is about equivalent to fffg powder. But again, if you use the 460, drop to 85-90 max or you will exceed safe pressures. But maybe 100 for 350 and 110 for Thor. I never exceed 100 gr in any of my loads because I start flinching from recoil. I felt comfortable out to 150 with any of those. Mostly my accuracy was in question beyond that. Do a search under the handle Marley. He killed a bull at over 250 yards with 90 pyrodex P and a 460 gr lead bullet.

As is, I am comfortable out to 150 yrds... I was told to be ready out to 200 yrds... Im comfortable again qith my aights and skill... I just question if 920 lbs is enough energy... all the books and load recommendations say 100 grains of pyrodex for accuracy, and 110 for "magnum"... if I bump up to the 295 grain bullet does that equal increased energy at 200 yrds , but accutacy suffer?

You're going to shoot to 200yds with open sights?

No need to shoot that far. Get closer. Look how close bow hunters and flintlock users have to get. They both kill lots of elk.

Oh I agree 100 percent... I am actually a pretty good shot with open sights, confident out to 4-500 yrds thanksbto 25 yrs in military... as this is a disabled veterans hunt, I was told to be prepared for shots out to 200 by the guide... so Im gonna do my part... even tho Im gonna count on him to do his... and get that elk closer... I agree with you 100%, every elk Ive shot here in Colorado with a muzzy has been up 50 yrds

I absolutely would not use the 270 platinum bullet for an elk. Regardless of the type of bullet with a powerbelts, they are ALL very soft lead. The only difference in the platinum is it has a smaller hollow point so it should not blow up as quickly. The “platinum” does nothing to strengthen the bullet. It is just a thin skin. It is not a tapered jacket and adds nothing to the strength of the bullet.

If you want to stick with powerbelts, I would use the 338 platinum. You will have enough power to kill a bull at 200 yards with that. 100 gr of pyrodex RS would be plenty. You will be surprised at how flat that shoots. No reason to exceed that. A problem more likely occur if you shot one at 30 yards with ANY of the PowerBelts. Since they are all soft lead, if you shot a bull through the shoulder at 30 yards, the bullet may blow up before it gets to the vitals. Put it behind the shoulder and you would be fine. I would trust that bullet at 150 yards more than 30 Yards if I hit more than the ribs.

never use “magnum” charges of powder with any powerbelt. 100 gr of RS maximum.

Last edited:
For a Colorado legal elk bullet. Take a look at the Thor bullet. It's a full bore all copper Barnes bullet. It's what i'll be using for elk, bear. and muley hunts this year. It will hold together no matter how fast you push it or the distance.

Good luck with your hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom