For the Record

cabinfever

Very Active Member
The following is a list of the top ten states for typical entries into the B&C record book.I am posting this for all the guys who think Utah is over run with big bucks and feel that no changes are needed. Now before I get accused of only carrying about scorea and quality, let me make it clear that eye appeal is what does it for me. I am only using this Data because it is one of the few resources available for measuring trophy quality over time.Take it for what it worth!

FYI: Since B&C inception to present, here are the number of entries in the Mule deer Typical category. I have only listed the top 10 states.

1. Colorado typical mule deer 504

2. Idaho typical mule deer 205

3. Utah typical mule deer 151

4. Wyoming typical mule deer 142

5. New Mexico typical mule deer 117

6. Oregon typical mule deer 92

7. Montana typical mule deer 65

8. Arizona typical mule deer 58

9. Saskatchewan typical mule deer 56

10. British Columbia typical mule deer 55

FYI; Here are the number of entries in the typical catergory for the last 5 years. Notice how Idaho has been bumped from 2nd to 3rd and Wyoming has been bumped from 4th to 6th, however, the most alarming is Utah which has been bumped from 3rd to 7th.

1. Colorado typical mule deer 91

2. Mexico typical mule deer 21

3. Idaho typical mule deer 18

4. Saskatchewan typical mule deer 18

5. New Mexico typical mule deer 16

6. Wyoming typical mule deer 16

7. Utah typical mule deer 15

8. Oregon typical mule deer 12

9. Nevada typical mule deer 11

10. Alberta typical mule deer 10

Very interesting numbers. Of course these are just recorded entries, I would be willing to bet there are as many not recorded as there are recorded. I find it extremely hard to beleive that British Columbia hasn't had enough to make the top 10 list in the last 5 years. Is that possibly because the hunters just don't care about the record books?.............rf

Well said huntnphool. I know guys who have killed big deer but could care less about the record book.

Those numbers as just amazing thanks for the post. I've always known Colorado was good, but not that good!

Colorado, by virtue of its size and great expanse of habitat, will always produce more animals and more trophy animals. Just for curiosity though, I added up the Boone & Crockett typical numbers and population numbers so the comparison will be a more relative.

Total Boone & Crockett from Colorado in the last five years = 91
Total Boone & Crockett from other six states in the last five years = 88

Total Population form Colorado = 550,000
Total Population from other six states = 1,500,000

Average Total Population from other six states = 250,000 (to Colorado's 550,000)
Average Boone & Crockett from other six states = 15 (to Colorado's 91)
Average Boone & Crockett from other six states "if" population matched that of Colorado = 33 (to Colorado's 91)

In summary, Colorado produced about the same number of typical Boone & Crockett heads with only 1/3 the number of deer as the other six states. Comparatively speaking, Colorado is 275% more efficient at producing record heads than the average of the other six states listed (not 600%, if you look at it without taking factoring the population of deer in the state). Not matter how you slice it though, Colorado has really got it going!

I also find it interesting that Utah harvests 5000 more bucks than Colorado, with approximately 58% of the population (see below). That alone tells a lot about the age class of the deer running around in both states.

--------------------------------------------
Colorado-91 (551,580 Estimated Population in 2000) (29,221 Antlered Deer Harvested in 2000)
Idaho-18 (300,000 Estimated Population in 2005) (20,250 Antlered Deer Harvested in 2000)
New Mexico-16 (200,000 Guess Only) (14,319 Estimated Deer Harvest)
Wyoming-16 (300,000 Estimated Population in 2001) (32,755 Antlered Deer Harvested in 2001)
Utah-15 (319,720 Estimated Population in 2000) (34,720 Antlered Deer Harvested in 2000)
Oregon-12 (283,000 Estimated Population in 2001)
Nevada-11 (107,000 Estimated Population in 2001) (9,146 Antlered Deer Harvested in 2000)
Total Boone and Crockett from other six states = 88
Total Population form from other six states = 1500,000

Primary Source of Population Numbers Above:
http://www.muledeernet.org/status.htm

Assuming only 1/3 of all eligle B&C trophies killed are entered into B&C, the numbers I posted still give us an idea which states are producing the most entries. (i.e CO could very well have produced 1500 B&C typical bucks since inception, but only 500 have been entered). It's no secret CO produces the most trophy bucks anywhere. Every magazine and publication about mule deer has published it. What I think is interesting is the down trends and up trends of all the other states and providences.

There you have it---everyone put in for Colorado from now on. Leave the other states alone HHEHE

Not nearly enough data there to draw any conclusions.

How many permit holders were out there hunting? How many acres of huntable land? How many guided hunts (more likely to report). And since even one productive unit can have an impact on the states numbers, what units did these animals come from? These are just the obvious bits of information needed, in correlation, in order to make sense from the B&C totals. And all of this data changes over time, even over a 5 year period.

I agree that Utah's deer herds need some serious attention, but Utah's drop on the B&C listings may not have anything to do with the quality of the deer herds.

"I agree that Utah's deer herds need some serious attention, but Utah's drop on the B&C listings may not have anything to do with the quality of the deer herds."

Oh contrare mi amigo. B&C listings have a direct correlation in the quality of a deer herd BUT THAT IS ONLY TRUE IN AREAS THAT HAVE THE GENETIC POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE B&C BUCKS.

B&C class bucks make up a small percentage of the adult buck population in a given herd and when there are less mature bucks in a herd than the corresponding percentage of B&C class bucks will be less also. Utah has shown its potential to produce great bucks and established that fact.

Western Wyoming SMOKED every other state in B&C entries for a couple years right around the year 2000. A hard winter that took its toll on top end mature bucks and heavy hunting pressure from residents secondary to the gas well drilling expansion of this decade has reduced top end bucks on the winter ranges around Big Piney to almost none.

I could go on with examples but bottom line is what I stated in the first paragraph. Of course thats my opinion. I could be wrong.

Spy, during that time they also had the shed hunters circus there in big Piney, were droves where chasing after each good shed the moment it drooped.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom