Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota vs Others

What truck would you buy?

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
With a stock market that only goes up and easy money is being made by everyone, I've been kicking around getting into a new truck. That's right, a new truck. Just kicking it around though, as I have been for 7 or 8 years. But I could be extra serious now.
But the question is, what's the best one to go with? Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, GMC, something else, or just save the $$$ and drive what I've got????

This one could be fun, but I think I need an extended cab and good gas mileage.
20159687_web1_191112-GNG-MonsterTruckChaos_1.jpg

Its like asking what is better mcdonalds or burger king. I consider them even in the playing field. But in the diesel class I rate one brand higher than the other. I am a cummins guy but I am sure you want gas. I have driven them all and I cant decide which is better. I cant get comfortable in a ford but a gmc I like their seats and smooth ride. Dodge is little more rough riding but I drove my grandpas new hemi the he other day and I was impressed how well it handled.

I would hit every dealer and try them all

I’ve owned Ford and GM. I had a Dodge work truck and it was a good one. Never had a Toyota. I currently own a 1500 GMC and an F 250. The only advice I can give you is if you decide to go with an F 250, stay away from the sunroof option. With the seat as low as you can go, your hat button ever so slightly rubs on the headliner and bugs you to death. The non sunroofs don’t drop down as much and you don’t have that problem.

Last edited:
I've had very good results with GM products, so when my 240,000 mile '05 Silverado finally needs replacing, I'll go with another one.

Although I think Founder's option would be quite a ride!

Just bought a 2021 1500 GMC AT4 crew cab standard bed (6.5’). Opted for the 3.0 liter Duramax diesel with the 10 speed transmission. Dealer gave me $3,500 Educator Discount (school teacher), $6,250 GMC rebate and I had $4,000 discount on my GM Card. Almost $14K off the sticker. I only ever pull a driftboat or other small trailer and I’m looking forward to the 20+ mpg fuel economy with the diesel. Standard beds are hard to find as most crew cab 1500 models are short beds. The standard bed is long enough for me to sleep comfortably. Inflatable air mattresses are also available that fit in the back seat and make the entire area level. I’ve had pretty good luck with GM pickups and the last one I traded in had 302,000 miles on it.

That being said, in 2019 I rented a brand new Dodge Rebel crew cab with the hemi engine and it was a very nice truck with tons of power.

Overall, I found it very difficult to even find a truck that I wanted on a dealer lot within 300 miles of my house. Even more frustrating, I’ve been trying to buy a small side by side since August 2020 and can’t find one anywhere.

I hear you. After my F150 got stolen and totaled I had to fly to Texas to buy a new/used one but a $300 plane ticket saved me $5k. I was looking for one with the 6.5 bed with the Coyote 5.0 liter and they are hard to find

I’ve got to tow a horse trailer occasionally and a boat about 10 times per year. I’ve got a 1 ton Dodge Cummings diesel that is a stiff ride. An ‘06 that is at almost 100k. I love the power and cost of ownership is almost nothing.
I don’t like the gas mileage or the pollution I’m responsible for.
I doubt I’ll be able to improve gas mileage much, but can probably reduce pollution a bit with a gas burner. Got to have something that can tow and haul.
I was shopping last night and the typical 2020 F150 is in that $50k ballpark. I’m a cheapskate, so it’s hard to sell my truck for $20k and buy a $50k truck.
I was sure I’d win the last couple lottery’s, but apparently it’s rigged, cause I didn’t win. So, I don’t have $900+ million at my disposal. Had my stimulus card been for $50k I’d just buy, but they ripped me off with just $600.

I’ve never owned a Chevy or GMC, but like the looks of a few of them. But some F150’s look great too.

I don’t need a nice truck to pick up chicks, but my wife thinks I need something new, so I’m wondering if that’s her way of saying I don’t look cool enough to hang with her. Not sure.

What to do? What to do? Maybe a fresh paint job on the stiff riding polluter is good enough for another 5-6 years.

I have owned a Dodge, Chevy, Ford, GMC, Toyota Tacoma, and Nissan truck. I liked each for different reasons. My favorite overall truck is my GMC 2500 diesel. Tows great. I loved my Tacoma for small off road trails while hunting. All have their ups and downs.

Why do you call that '06 cummins a polluter??......have you modified it to belch black smoke??

I'd Be Happy with any one of the Big 3 in a 3500 CREW CAB 4X4 SINGLE REAR WHEEL!

GMC DENALI!

FORD KING RANCH!

DODGE RAM LONGHORN!

PISS ON CHEVY & THAT BUTT F'N UGLY FRONT END!

Almost Forgot:

She's Gotta be a Coal Roller!:D

Last edited:
I hear you. After my F150 got stolen and totaled I had to fly to Texas to buy a new/used one but a $300 plane ticket saved me $5k. I was looking for one with the 6.5 bed with the Coyote 5.0 liter and they are hard to find
Where in Texas?

Why do you call that '06 cummins a polluter??......have you modified it to belch black smoke??
When I got the emissions done the other day I briefly read an article about the pollution emitted by a diesel compared to gas burner. Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like my truck was much worse for the air than a gas burner.
I have to admit, when I get on it hard and it blows some black snake, I feel like an a-hole.

Founder,
You have a 2006 diesel with less than 100k miles. Most would say that rig is barely broken in! Any new rig that you buy for $50K isn’t going to tow like your Cummins diesel.
I know. My dad thinks I’d be real disappointed with an F150 towing the boat.

When I got the emissions done the other day I briefly read an article about the pollution emitted by a diesel compared to gas burner. Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like my truck was much worse for the air than a gas burner.
I have to admit, when I get on it hard and it blows some black snake, I feel like an a-hole.
Maybe I am an a-hole, scratch that, there's no maybe about that. Pollution is the last thing I'd worry about when buying a new truck but then again I like making snowflakes cry.

I burn coal to heat the house all winter long. Every time I stoke the fire I picture Obama shriveling up a little bit and moaning in distress. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.:devilish:

You Wouldn't be disappointed Towing a Boat with an F-150 Eco-Boost!

I Guess that would all depend on How Big Your Boat is?

I've Seen Boats that take a Semi to Pull them!

The F-150 ECO-BOOSTS are QUICK!

10 Speed Tranny!

I've seen many of Stock New Diesels Get SPANKED in a Quarter Mile Empty Truck Drag Races by ECO-BOOSTS!

But Once You've Pulled with a Decent Running Diesel it's what you're gonna want!

I've got a Friend that's got a FORD RAPTOR with a HIGH OUTPUT ECO-BOOST in that Rig!

Don't Pull your Stock Diesel up to the Side of that Rig Unless You want Your Ass Handed to you!

So What kind of Mods you done on the 06 CUMMINS Founder?

Hopefully You've Removed the Obama Pipe & Straight Piped it?

An 06 would not of had the Obama Juice!

Programmer?

Remember!

A Tuned Diesel (Not Over-Tuned!) will Get Better Mileage & More Power!

Could We Get Some Footage of You Making people Inhale?:D

that depends on the F-150 you buy if you get the tow package and the big 6 with dual turbos it will tow most boats very well. I use my F-150 to pull my 20 foot trailer and fully loaded it pulls with authority and at 70 on the freeway it is smooth. Gas mileage is good as well.
Ford is the best just ask Feddoc he's a ford man he just got a new Ford truck ask him about it.

I like my 2001 Dodge Cummins.

Had her for 20 years and just rolled over 100K on her.

She’s never let me down, never thrown a check engine light and hardly smokes even when I stomp on her.

She’s got a cold air intake, bigger injectors, and a straight pipe coupled to a high flow muffler to eliminate drone.

Passes emissions every year in Davis county (those guys are the biggest douches around).

But with today’s truck prices, and no reason to ever get rid of her, I think I will stick with ole’ reliable until I die.

Notice I didn’t say until the truck dies. Take care of those diesels and they will out live you!

However....with Joe B____n in command, the diesel may start down the fast track to it’s end with emissions laws like we’ve never seen.

So if you’re gonna do it Founder, get a gas guzzler instead of a stinky diesel.

F4DA6AF8-5727-420B-97DE-AC4835E10DDF.jpeg

So What kind of Mods you done on the 06 CUMMINS Founder?

Hopefully You've Removed the Obama Pipe & Straight Piped it?

An 06 would not of had the Obama Juice!

Programmer?

Remember!

A Tuned Diesel (Not Over-Tuned!) will Get Better Mileage & More Power!

Could We Get Some Footage of You Making people Inhale?:D
No mods. Just stock everything.

For a hunting rig you can’t beat a Toyota in my opinion. For towing I’m running a 2020 6.7 powerstroke. Just got a Chevy Colorado with the 2.8 duramax for a daily driver. I have no brand loyalty when it comes to vehicles.

Sold my old 05 gmc duramax regret it bad. Bought an 2018 cummins but wish they didnt have all the emmissions crap on them. Was use to running leftover fry oil just filter it and dump it in but not anymore also have DEF to deal with now. What a joke!!

Bloodtracker that’s a sweet rig, you wanna keep that ole girl in the garage, they just don’t make em like the old marble grinder Cummins anymore.
I have a completely stock 03 duramax that just broke 70k. I like new trucks as much as the next guy but I don’t see myself ever parting with that one.

Yep those new diesels are fun aren't they. Nothing like burning pig piss. Back in 2011 I was hauling water South of Bonanza out by the bookcliffs. I was driving a new Mack bobtail with a pup behind. There were some very hairy, narrow and steep dirt "trails" we had to drive on, dirt wall on one side deep cliff on the other to get to the wells. That was sure fun when those Macks decided it was time to shutdown and do a burn. Especially in the winter. We had more than one driver who had to bail out of his truck as it was going off the cliff.

You Need To TUNE It!

Straight Pipe it! (That doesn't Make them real Noisy!)

And Then Start Making People Inhale!:D

Once You've Pulled with a Decent Tuned Diesel You'll Never want anything else!

And Your Mileage will Slightly Increase,As Long as You Don't OVER TUNE It!

No mods. Just stock everything.

Just trade in my F 250 turbo diesel six lift on 35’s on a F 150 Limited power boost ! It’s a hybrid 430 hp on the gas motor even has a 7200 watt generator plug in your bed to plug in your trailer. Tows 12700 pounds. I think it’s rated at 24 miles to the gallon. I drove it for three days last week. Took the F 350 dually away from my dad. We trade back and forth. Company trucks,he didn’t want to haul the dump bed trailer to the dump in the new truck. ??? Still need a diesel to tow my toy hauler. But those new F 150 are really nice.

There You Go Founder!

430 Horses!

570 ft lbs of Torque!

The Perty Girls will be GAWKIN at You!

It Charges itself!

You'll be Running CLEAN!

You'll be Helping Fix the Worlds Pollution Problem!

And You could put a Bumper Sticker on the Back of it that says:

NOT A F'N PRIUS!

A knothead who used to live down the road had a straight piped dodge. The only way you could tell it apart from a johnny popper coming down the road was the speed. Johnny poppers won’t do 60 on the gravel road in front of your house :mad:

What is it with the flat brimmers who drive dodges?

2002 Chevy Duramax HD with 112,000 miles on her... Love the truck except when I'm on rough roads, I need a kidney belt...

2019 Chevy 1500 work truck, its worthless I might as well be in a low rider...

A knothead who used to live down the road had a straight piped dodge. The only way you could tell it apart from a johnny popper coming down the road was the speed. Johnny poppers won’t do 60 on the gravel road in front of your house :mad:

What is it with the flat brimmers who drive dodges?
The place I am working at now is a brand new facility. I’m the maintenance manager for the new facility, which is slated to open on Feb 8th. Contractors, pipe fitters/welders and millwrights everywhere. When lunch time rolls around, it’s nothing but loud, stinky, bombed out diesels ripping out of the parking lot to hit the fast food joints?

I don’t know what it is about that work culture that merits the need for a loud coal rolling rig lol! It’s like a redneck parade every day at noon!

This group aint flat brimmers!

They’re part of some specialized bearded badazz group (I think).

Growing facial hair thicker than a tropical rain forest must be a requirement to be a part of this elite group of coal rollin’ sasquatches!

Just trade in my F 250 turbo diesel six lift on 35’s on a F 150 Limited power boost ! It’s a hybrid 430 hp on the gas motor even has a 7200 watt generator plug in your bed to plug in your trailer. Tows 12700 pounds. I think it’s rated at 24 miles to the gallon. I drove it for three days last week. Took the F 350 dually away from my dad. We trade back and forth. Company trucks,he didn’t want to haul the dump bed trailer to the dump in the new truck. ??? Still need a diesel to tow my toy hauler. But those new F 150 are really nice.
That's what I am talking about. The torque is off the hook as well. I have the same truck only a 2018 just not the hybrid

I just don’t understand how a half ton truck can pull 12700 pounds. I guess I am just old school. But hook this up to your F 150 and see how things go. ?? So at least in my I life I still have need for a big diesel truck. Plus the real Jake brake is a really plus for the big down hill sections of the highway. My toy hauler as well needs a diesel truck. But I think I am going to down size my toy hauler next. But those new F 150’s really are amazing. Coming home from dinner Friday night the wife says go around the block. I am what ? I am getting a message go around the block I am not done. She loves those messaging seats. ??

A638420D-F9FE-4719-9661-C589CC942C34.png

Big John! Nice rig and Nice country! That road ain’t dirt anymore! I miss the old days when you couldn’t drive a car across that mountain!

I just don’t understand how a half ton truck can pull 12700 pounds. I guess I am just old school. But hook this up to your F 150 and see how things go. ?? So at least in my I life I still have need for a big diesel truck. Plus the real Jake brake is a really plus for the big down hill sections of the highway. My toy hauler as well needs a diesel truck. But I think I am going to down size my toy hauler next. But those new F 150’s really are amazing. Coming home from dinner Friday night the wife says go around the block. I am what ? I am getting a message go around the block I am not done. She loves those messaging seats. ??

View attachment 23625
John it's not the power of the half-ton trucks that is the big issue but putting 10,000-12,000 pounds behind these light aluminum f150's isn't a good thing. It becomes a stability and control issue. A 12,000 pound trailer behind an aluminum truck can take control in a hurry.

Yep, like all the movie remakes....we’re getting dumber as a society if we cannot come up with something original.....

I mean c’mon Elon....a 4 wheel drive delorean?!

Couldn’t do any better than a 40 year old look?!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom