Fort Bayard Special Management Area

muleybeast

Good morning everyone. Son drew the Unit 24 youth. Been looking at the Fort Bayard Management Area. Just looking for any experiences any of you might have had in this area.

Thank you. Gary

It’s descent depending on what hunt you drew, early is better than later. open country on south end but thick on the north end. If your kid is able to walk and get away from roads you should do alright. It isn’t a great hunt but better than average for the early. If you have the late hunt it’s much tuffer since everyone hunts the borders during regular hunts and what bucks are left are plenty spooky. Both coues deer and muleys there, more muleys than coues

Mule man thank you so much for the reply. My son is super active being in football and track. We thrive on hiking in early where others don’t wanna go. Sounds like it might work out good for us. We have that September 30-October 8 early deer hunt.

I scouted it for a few days for a friends son a few years back. We found some deer in that thick just north of the Fort but I didn’t get a chance to get in much deeper. We mostly glassed from high points near the roads.

Thank you Jordan. That is where we plan on setting up first light. Where the open scrub filters to thick forest.

I’ll send you a message (PM) and it should show up in your account. Might be in the icon that looks like an envelope. Then we can talk back and forth between just us kinda like email. Let me know if you can’t see or find it there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom