Fortitude?

DBG3285

I was on a hunt this past week, and met up with a few MMers.

Well it got me to thinking about how many people actually have the ability to hold out on filling their tags until they see what they want?

during this hunt I saw one person that held out on many great opportunities, I saw some that shot at the first things they saw, I saw others miss opportunities, and so on.

so with what is possibly a once in a lifetime tag, how many of you have the ability to not pull the trigger?

I hold out until I scour the unit looking for what I want. When I feel I have seen what the unit has to offer, then I find the biggest animal that I have seen and start hunting that animal. Most times the unit just doesn’t hold the caliber of animal I’m looking for, that or I just don’t draw very good tags.

Depends on the tag, the area, the weapon and the animal being hunted. If it’s a general tag, I won’t kill a small deer, but again, I understand it’s a general tag and I can’t be too picky. The animal size I’ll hold out for will change with the weapon I’m holding at the time. If it’s a LE tag, I try to set a realistic goal and stick to that. I can hold out and wait for the animal I’m after.

I whiffed on a OIL moose tag in WA last year. Could have shot a dink bull on day one or two. Never saw another bull after that. I believe Antlerrick and I both had moose tag soup in 2019. Crap happens.

I’ve been very fortunate to harvest some very nice trophy’s through out my lifetime, I’m 62 now and I’ve Eaton a lot of tags. I did not shoot on a trophy tag last year with letting good quality animals go. I did not harvest on my last oil tag in Idaho this year, letting real nice animals go, the only way I could hunt the unit again was to not harvest so I can get back into the draw in 2 years. I really get alot more pleasure watching my daughters and wife put the hammer down on nice quality animals now days. I will never stop looking for the Big Boys, but I also love hunting Wolves

On a hard to draw tag I'm pretty fixed on not pulling the trigger until the animal is the one I want. I've had multiple tags where day after day I frustrate my friends and family by passing nice trophy after nice trophy. Sometimes that has resulted in a phenomenal trophy on the ground, sometimes tag soup - - but I really enjoy the hunt itself, and after pulling the trigger the hunt is over! That makes it easier for me to be picky

I've passed on some good animals over the years and regretted it on the drive home but for some reason over a little time the regret fades quickly.
A greater hunt is always to come and there will be even bigger deer to chase next season.

I've passed on some good animals over the years and regretted it on the drive home but for some reason over a little time the regret fades quickly.
A greater hunt is always to come and there will be even bigger deer to chase next season.
Maybe in Texas, behind a fence that might be true...

I passed on beautiful buck in Co a few years ago only to see it killed by another hunter. I shouldn't have passed and it still irks me. :) I just wished the buck would of walked off in the sunset I guess.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom