Founder's 2013 Hunting Adventures

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I'm ready to get after it!

So far, no luck in Nevada or New Mexico for me. At this point, I have Utah and Colorado deer, and possibly a Utah late elk tag, and should draw Wyoming. Wyoming is the one I'm most excited for. It may not be the best quality, but I love to backpack and I'm in the best shape of my life and ready to get up there and see if I can turn up a whopper to hunt.

So far this year, I haven't done much. I did just one day of shed antler hunting in Wyoming. I've just been too busy to get out.

Anyway, so my fingers are crossed for Wyoming still and I hope to get up there on my first backpack trip in mid to late June.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Well, so far I have my Utah general archery deer, Utah late-season elk (I'll probably return), Colorado deer, and hoping to draw Wyoming.
I'm thinking I'll return the Utah late elk tag because my son also has a deer tag in Colorado and I think I'd rather do that than hunt the elk, but still not sure yet.

I did my first scouting trip this last weekend in Wyoming. I don't even know if I'll have a tag yet, but I wanted to get up there and look things over. My girl (Penny) and I packed in a few miles and had fun. Below are a few photos, and if you want to see the deadhead bull and bucks on video, the clip link is there.

Watch My Webcast ... CLICK HERE

4510dscn6326.jpg

3588dscn6379.jpg

5338dscn6397.jpg

2059dscn6405.jpg

7336dscn6382.jpg

7256dscn6411.jpg

8253dscn6328.jpg

5167dscn6431.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I hit the hills once again this past weekend and turned up a few bucks. No giants, but a buck with some huge bases. Take a look in the video clip.

WATCH the WEBCAST
[IMGhttp://www.monsterhuntclips.com/thumb/1_2249.jpg][/IMG]

2081dscn6503.jpg

8518dscn6507.jpg

4823dscn6530.jpg

Great times with my best friend!
6327dscn6540.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Had myself another great trip into the high country. I found ome nice bucks, plus a taker caliber buck that I think will gross around 200....maybe a touch better.
Two nights and many miles of packing..............

WATCH the WEBCAST
[IMGhttp://www.monsterhuntclips.com/thumb/1_2250.jpg][/IMG]

5360dscn6564.jpg

6315dscn6588.jpg

6236dscn6603.jpg

6505dscn6616.jpg

6913dscn6642.jpg

8166dscn6650.jpg

2250dscn6684.jpg

4866dscn6701.jpg

8335dscn6714.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Hit the hills again a few days ago and saw a little more than 2 dozen bucks. Only one that was worth photographing......

7129dscn6752.jpg

865dscn6744.jpg

5945dscn6757.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Had another good backpack trip. Packed in soaked, and packed out soaked, but saw a good number of bucks.
Didn't find the though. The droptine buck from a few weeks ago is still the best I've seen. I think I've looked over about 120 bucks to this point.

Here's the webcast:

WATCH IT HERE
[IMG

6109dscn6780.jpg

5214dscn6791.jpg

752dscn6803.jpg

3335dscn6826.jpg

9504dscn6835.jpg

325dscn6845.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Had myself a productive scouting trip the other day. I didn't see a huge number of bucks, but did find a real cool buck with extras and another long tined stud of a buck.

I've also been working hard to get my archery and rifle shooting in order. Had some trouble getting the rifle to shoot tight out past 300, but getting there I think. Going to try new bullets tomorrow.

The Utah archery hunt is this Saturday and my plan is to pack in for a two night, day and a half hunt.....maybe get lucky.

Here's the webcast with what I found on my last outing, along with some pics.

WATCH WEBCAST HERE
[IMG

72171111.jpg

38672222.jpg

96033333.jpg

50514444.jpg

17095555.jpg

81306666.jpg

46297777.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Just a few more days before the Wyoming archery hunt begins. I did another scouting trip a few days ago and found the non-typical again. I think he should be in the same spot when I return. Hopefully I don't have too much company on the mountain hunting him.

11451.jpg

45352.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I'm home from my first archery hunt in Wyoming. It wasn't even exciting enough to do a webcast. I saw the buck I was after less than 1 minute in my glassing the night before the opener. He walked out of the same stand of trees that I last saw him walk into about 2 weeks ago.

I then saw him again on opening morning, along with 6-7 other bucks. He went around the mountain where I couldn't see him bed, and then I didn't see him again.....at all. Three days and I didn't see him. I don't think anyone else killed him, or even pushed him. I don't know why he vanished. In fact, after that first morning, I didn't see many bucks at all. They just weren't moving. I believe they are there close, but just not moving for some reason. Maybe now that the bugs are no longer and their velvet is so sensitive, they've just bailed off into the timber and not moving much. I don't know. I'm a bit frustrated, but will go back for more in a few days.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Another hunt in the books for me. I spent another 3 days hunting the cheater buck, but no shots. I saw him twice, both times just before dark. He never showed himself in the morning when I needed to watch him bed to have the best chance.

I head back up in a few days to try my skills with a rifle in-hand.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Hunt update....not much to update. I'm getting my butt kicked. Although very few people have been into the area I'm hunting, I didn't see my buck during the rifle hunt. I don't think anyone has killed him, I think he's just hunkered down under a pine tree and he ain't moving more than 20 yards from that tree and he's in the thick stuff.

I plan to just keep hitting it and hope that eventually he feels secure and ventures out onto the open slope where I have a chance.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Hunt Update ... Still getting my butt kicked. Spent another 3 days in the highcountry and still no sign of the cheater buck. I still believe he is there, just hunkered down in the pines and not moving a lot. Headed back in a few days.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Well, I got a text today with a picture of the cheater buck I'd been hunting. He's dead. Another hunter got it done. So, I'm bummed. Not sure what my plan is now.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

My Wyoming hunting ended last weekend actually. I did one final backpack trip, was greeted with knee deep snow on the top of the mountain which kicked my butt and so I threw in the towel for Wyoming hunting. No buck for me.........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I'm a bit slow in updating my Hunt Adventure Challenge thread simply because I got my butt kicked on my Colorado hunt and don't have a whole to share. Spent 9 days looking and never did see a taker buck. I'm not even sure I saw a single buck that would score better than 180. I did see a wide buck, but he was only wide. His tines were only about 6 inches long. Just not an impressive buck.

I still have a Utah archery tag and will probably get out a time or two in November, but for the most part, my hunting for the year is done.

I returned my late-season elk tag thinking I would be in Colorado with my son, but that didn't work out, so...........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom