Founder's 2014 Hunt Adventures

Founder

Founder Since 1999
[p][p align=right]Thread Views Counter....[/p]

Man, I'm sure ready to get into the highcountry!!!

So far this year, I have one general season Utah archery deer tag. That's it. I hoped to draw New Mexico, but no luck. I expected to draw a Utah elk tag, but no. Now I'm just waiting on Colorado and Wyoming.
Odds are good of having a deer tag in both Colorado and Wyoming, so for this year I expect plenty of deer hunting as I've had in the past.

I know in Utah and Wyoming, I have to be in great shape to make the most of the hunts, so I've been working my butt off to remain in peak physical condition for the backpacking ahead. Lots of trail running, mountain biking, mountain climbing, and weight training will hopefully payoff when I have a heavy load strapped to my back.

My scouting will begin in late June. Most will be in Wyoming, with hopefully a trip to Colorado and a few overnighters here in Utah. Of course I'll share what I find................

I've been shooting my bow and rifle. My buddy is helping with my rifle load to get me shooting a little tighter group. I'd like to be very deadly out to 500 yards this year.

[b]Side Note:[/b] [URL='http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/linktrack/countlink.pl?www.eastonoutfitters.com']Easton Outfitters[/URL] is our contest sponsors this year and they've loaned me some of their sweet packs and trekking poles to try out on my backpack trips. So I'll let you guys know all about them. I'm excited to play with the gear. Thanks [URL='http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/linktrack/countlink.pl?www.eastonoutfitters.com']Easton Outfitters[/URL]!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you [URL='http://www.facebook.com/monstermuleys']LIKE[/URL] MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I made my first trip to Wyoming over the weekend, covered a little ground, but just too much snow still in the high country. I didn't pack in anywhere, but more just checked out a few access points. I am getting excited to get to searching for a big boy.

My archery shooting is looking good. I've been doing some serious strength training exercises to build the muscles involved in archery and it has worked wonders. I'll share a few pics soon for those who are feeling shaky while holding the draw. Strength training will help.

More coming soon...........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I hit the hills of northern Utah the other day. Well, big mountains of northern Utah........

It was an over night trip into an area I've hunted previously. The scouting trip wasn't that great. Not a lot of bucks. I did see 7-8, only one 4x4, nothing I believe is taker caliber.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

First off, I've been doing plenty of archery shooting and things are coming along nicely. Shooting pretty good right now.

I did my first real scouting trip in Wyoming this past week. Did two days. I looked at about 3 dozen bucks, but none were close to big enough. Still lots of deep snow up there. Kind of made it a pain hiking around, but was a good time anyway. I love backpacking.

Here's my webcast if you'd like to see the bucks, plus a couple still shots I got.

PS - I used the Easton Outfitters Talus 8000 backpack. If you'd like to see the highlight video showing it off, take a look at my Youtube channel. It's there, plus I'll share the clip in the reviews forum.

1742dscn0919.jpg

8284dscn0993.jpg

8242dscn0977.jpg

9983dscn0951.jpg

5166dscn1006.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I got after it once more in the highcountry of Wyoming. Climbed a lot of vertical feet and was rewarded with some good bucks. No taker type bucks yet, but a few neat ones anyway. I know how it goes. I need to look at a LOT of bucks to find a really special one, but that's what makes it fun and challenging.

12324.jpg

26322.jpg

17623.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I had myself another good scouting trip. Backpacked in 3 hours in the dark, did 3 mornings and two evenings in the high country. I turned up a wide one, a big typical, a big non-typical, and another that I didn't get video of that could be better than most.

The only one I really have interest in from this trip is the heavy non-typical. I'm not sure how much more growth he has left in him. I'm hoping 5 inches on the rear tines and 3-4 on the fronts.

74462.jpg

93841.jpg

92823.jpg

30234.jpg

89775.jpg

97926.jpg

25107.jpg

32678.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I got out this past weekend with my wife and we headed for Wyoming to pack in with horses from Yellowstone Horse Rentals. We had a good time. I looked at right around 80 bucks on the trip, found some real good ones, but still nothing that really gets me super excited. I know somewhere there is a 200+ inch slug and I need to find him. But I think you guys will enjoy seeing the video.

Also saw a big bull.

19944.jpg

37733.jpg

39995.jpg

48926.jpg

64707.jpg

42218.jpg

69.jpg

885210.jpg

884611.jpg

849512.jpg

20331.jpg

7892.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

So far I'm up to 235 bucks in Wyoming and not a taker yet. None that I could even say with great confidence would break the 190 mark. I think a couple could be around 190 when done, but not sure. Here's some video from my last outing with my buddy, Jared. We did see some big bucks though. Take a look.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

While scouting the area here in Utah where I plan to hunt, this big boy showed himself. He's an 8x12. Doesn't have a huge frame, but who cares! He's an 8x12 and has enough bone on his head for me to flip a stick. Maybe I'll get lucky.
I'll try to get some good video soon.

1935image.jpg

23302.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Just a little video of the 12x9. Yep, 12x9 in all. Very cool buck...........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Did another Wyoming backpack trip. Will share video and pics tomorrow. This update is on the 12x9. Saw him this morning. He sure looks sweet. Will be getting after soon and hoping for lots of luck.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Here is some video and photos from my most recent outing. Found some real good bucks, but the 200"+ muley still hasn't shown himself. My goal was to turn one up this year in Wyoming. Not looking good. This 7x8 in this video is a slug, but I just don't think he'll be 200". I'm thinking 193ish. Great buck, and I'd be happy to take one like that, I just set these goals and like to achieve the goal......ya know?

15871.jpg

98987.jpg

24778.jpg

94509.jpg

523210.jpg

272811.jpg

34112.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I can't complain about my first 3 days of bowhunting here in Utah. I saw the 12x9 buck on Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but no shots. Just couldn't get in front of him on Sunday and he slipped away.
Will get back at it soon.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Hopefully luck shines on me soon.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I'm still hunting the 9x12. Haven't seen him since Friday morning. I have walked away from two bucks that any other year, I'd be thrilled to hunt with a bow. But, the 9x12 is quite special, so I'm going to keep after him. I very well may be eating tag soup, but at this time, I'm ok with that. If I can't turn up the 9x12 within the next 5 days of hunting, then maybe I will turn my attention to one of the other bucks. Just a little frustrated, but it's hunting.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

14 days afield in Utah, no good. I was within 80 yards of the 12x9 twice. Once he was at 68, I was ready to shoot, but he never gave me a look at his whole body.
I haven't seen him in over a week. I don't think he's dead, just off in some canyon not moving much.

I'm headed for Wyoming today for 3 days. Going looking for the non-typical I saw in June. I'm interested to see how much he grew. I'll be bowhunting.

When I get home, I'm sure I'll get back out looking for the 12x9.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I made it to Wyoming and back home. Why so quick? ... cause the heavy dude is dead. The story is good and the buck is a big one. Watch the video!

Quick summary though. I found the buck, setup on him all day waiting for him to get up and feed. 2 hours before dark another hunter buzzes past me and shoots the buck. Just like that! Watch the video for details and pics.

811790314-6.jpg

554090314-1.jpg

124690314-2.jpg

223890314-3.jpg

283590314-4.jpg

761190314-5.jpg

[font size=+1 color=darkred]Congratulations Cody Smith on a fantastic, well-deserved trophy![/font]

2370dscn1601.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Another update. So far I have hunted 17 mornings here in Utah and probably about 13 evenings. I haven't seen the 9x12 in 10 days out, a little more than a week ago. I don't know where he is. Maybe someone else did get him....?????

Might try to get back up to Wyoming here in the next few days.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Did a two day archery hunting trip in Wyoming this week. I went looking for the 3x6 and heavy typical. The first evening I arrived on the top and spotted a group of bucks. I was certain that I saw a whopper typical still in velvet with long tines, but then I never saw that buck again. I did however see a smaller 4-point that was still in velvet. So I've been second guessing myself on what I really saw. It's frustrating. I usually know what I'm looking at, so I think it was a whopper typical. BUT, I only saw one buck up there in velvet and it was tall. Could I have mistaken....????? hmmmmm

Some good bucks. Here's my webcast showing some of what I found. Sure wish I had on video the buck in velvet that first evening. That's why video is so important to me, then I don't have to worry about second guessing myself on any of them.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Back home from two days of archery and four days of rifle hunting in Wyoming. I went looking for the big typical. I found him and others great bucks. My buddy, Jared, took a 27-1/2 incher, and I took a big buck butt kicking again. No buck for me. I saw the big one twice during the 6 days of hunting, just no shot. I'll head back in a few days for a little more.

Had a good time. Watch the video to see some of the bucks I saw and Jared's buck.

Congratulations to Jared. I'm glad he was along on the hunt with me. Great company and fun to hunt with. He got a dandy too......

6941jared.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Did another 4 days of hunting in the Wyoming highcountry looking for the big typical pictured below. I saw the 6x3 that's in the area, but I just don't have very much interest in him. When I look at him, I don't get all that excited, so until I do, I won't hunt him. Maybe late in the hunt I'll see him and get excited and rule him a fine trophy. Right now the typical is the one I want.
My webcast is below. Not much for bucks on the clip, but I tell my story of the adventure.

885210.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Did another 3 days hunting for the typical. I didn't turn him up, but did find the 3x6 and was ready to drop the hammer, but..................
Same old story for me. Watch the video.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

My Wyoming hunting is over! Did 14 days of scouting, 6 days archery hunting, 14 days of rifle hunting, looked at more than 350 bucks.....probably close to 400, but for certain 350. Never found the 200"+ buck I began the year searching for. I did find one that I think was in the mid-190's. Also found a typical that I think was pushing 190, maybe better than 190. Also found a heavy, unique, non-typical slug that rough scored a hair better than 190, but wouldn't have been 190 hard-horned. So, no 200 inchers and maybe a couple 190+ bucks.... ??????

The 4th and 5th best bucks I found were just wide dudes. A wide 3x6 and wide 3x5.

It was a good year, and I was really close to getting it done on 3 of the best bucks, just didn't happen. Mentally, it was tough hunting because of how close I was without getting it done. It's always hard to be unsuccessful, but that's hunting. Sometimes no matter how hard you scout, and hunt, and invest all that effort, you just aren't going to get what you want.

So I'm done in Wyoming.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Another hunt in the books! Colorado 2014 is done. Again, my luck just isn't all that great. I found a couple nice bucks, but nothing big enough to shoot. In total, I looked at about 25-30 or so bucks over my week long trip. 2 were OK. One was a 29-inch wide 3x4 with eyeguards...tall and wide, not real long tines. The other was a 25-inch or so wide 5x5 with eyeguards. He had great backs, but not great fronts and not much width.
I did see a couple others that looked pretty good, but they were on private.

It can sure be tough hunting when the weather is warm and dry. That first 2-3 days is when you have the best chance, but once that passes, those older bucks (actually most of the bucks) dive into the heavy timber and don't move.

So, another unsuccessful hunt. Maybe next time.........

I still have a bit of late season archery deer hunting to do. Maybe luck will be there.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

My 2014 hunting season is all done. Finished with some archery hunting in November here in Utah. I looked at a few real nice bucks, but never did get any shots. Lots of people out there! The deer were getting ran around like crazy day after day. Take a look at my video to see what I saw.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom