Founder's 2018 Hunt Adventures

Founder

Founder Since 1999
My hunt adventures this year actually began with some antler hunting and I scored big on a 200-3/8 set off a buck I spotted on the winter range in December. Pretty cool find! (Pictures Below)

But now the real serious part gets rolling, finding a buck or two to hunt this fall. I have Utah, Wyoming and Colorado tags, but Wyoming is the number one focus. In fact, if I don't have time to scout Colorado, I may return that tag.

My goal in Wyoming this year is the same as usually, to find a 200-inch buck to hunt. That is asking a lot, I have to admit, but I like to set the bar high. Either way, I'll be hunting the best buck I can find. That's what I like to do.

My first deer scouting trip this year is in. In two days I looked at 54 bucks, with 3 of them having enough bone to at least be interesting. I don't think any of them are going to be real big, but good ones.

509792.jpg

63350dscn1432.jpg

49041dscn1453.jpg

First High Country Scouting Trip of the Year!

61451.jpg

729592.jpg

890473.jpg

44274.jpg

724685.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Got back out for another 3 days of backpacking and looking for deer. Looked at about 80 bucks. A few were pretty good. Didn't find any however that really got me excited. The one buck pictured with the spike buck, is one that I think could end up real interesting. My camera has not been working right, so I'm getting a lot of blur.

83062forum1.jpg

53210capture3.jpg

65100capture4.jpg

20214capture6.jpg

70384capture7.jpg

86609capture8.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Another 3 days of buck scouting in Wyoming. On this trip I looked at about 42 bucks in total. The best buck was a pretty good typical that has good tine length (pictured below). Also found a cool buck that has a bit more mass than average and a nice inline on his G4. Anything with extra stuff excites me.

88615forum3.jpg

71938forum4.jpg

674forum5.jpg

83567forum6.jpg

86715forum7.jpg

71606forum8.jpg

42147forum9.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I think I've found the best buck of the year for me. It's a very nice 4x5 that might end up a 5x5. I think he'll go better than 185. Plus found another 4x5 that has long eyeguards and his 5th is a cheater/droptine. He should be near 180 I believe when done. Tines aren't real long, but eyeguards and extra make up for it. Pretty good bucks, but no 200-incher yet.

54926forum1.jpg

86605forum2.jpg

89494forum3.jpg

21445forum4.jpg

66171forum5.jpg

59649forum6.jpg

72022forum7.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Got my butt over into Colorado recently for a 3 day scouting trip. Didn't find too much. The buck pictured below is the best seen. Looked over lots of country though. Such a large body buck. He looked like a horse going across the sidehill.

91306forum1.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I also made it back to Wyoming recently as well and found a couple bucks that I'd call takers for me. They aren't 200 inches like I'm hoping for, but they sure looked good. When I saw them, I was excited and that's what I'm looking for....a buck or two that excites me. The search for a 200 will continue though, but I'm happy to have found a couple that gets me excited to hunt. My hunting buddy who helped me land a tag is really happy too. Maybe we'll get lucky and get one of the two. His wife also has a tag and might be in there hunting as well.

88601forum2.jpg

31227forum3.jpg

71429forum4.jpg

4728forum5.jpg

93326forum6.jpg

80742forum7.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Got back out there for another few days of scouting and was able to find some big bucks. Found a 3x4 that is cool. He's quite tall and wide. And I located a buck that might be the best of the year. 45 bucks in total. Watch the video...........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Looked over 32 bucks on this scouting trip and saw two that are darn nice. Only got video of one, the heavy dude with kickers. He's cool and I believe at this point, he's the one I'd be hunting if I find nothing better. More searching planned though......

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

A few more days in the high country produced another 54 bucks to look at. A couple of them ended up being pretty good. Two of them I think are in that 180 range.

21510forum5.jpg

21736forum2.jpg

48689forum3.jpg

20875forum6.jpg

78636forum7.jpg

15739forum8.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

So my Wyoming hunting is done!

What a fun hunt for my Wyoming hunting buddy and I. Right now I have to thank him for sharing his points with me to put me in the game. I put in 21 days of scouting and looked over hundreds of bucks. I found these two along with another wide one in an area I know well, and the archery hunt was on.
We packed in the night before the opener with a couple crappy llamas that were more trouble than anything. But we made it.
Opening morning we saw the wide buck and he was number one on my hit list. I also got a look at the 5x5, and while I liked him, my hope was to get a chance at the wide buck. And, I knew the double (really triple) droptine buck was in there somewhere. Over the next few days I got to see the wide buck one more time, then he vanished, as he was fully aware we were in his home. Scott missed the 5x5 a couple times and made stalks on him and other bucks many times. Each day was packed with hunting fun. I found the droptine buck and made plays on him myself. On day 5, I spotted the 5x5 bedded in a real good spot. Had Scott been with me, I would?ve let him attempt the play, but he wasn?t and I had the urge to test my skills and prove to myself I could get it done. I had to make a play and did.
He was bedded above his buddies and only 75 yards off a ridge, so I spent more than an hour sneaking across a steep, gravel side hill and then crawled and scooted to 57 yards. At that point, I was as close as I dared go and prepared for a shot. For more than two hours I stood there with the sun frying me waiting for him to stand. I knew when the sun moved to the west it would eventually hit him and he'd stand to move beds, but I was so worried that swirling wind could carry my stink to him that I didn't dare sit down. I had to be ready when he stood. I didn't think I'd have much time.
After more than a couple hours, it worked as I had hoped and he stood. Perfect! I was ready and put an arrow in him. He was instantly sick and remained standing and staggering in his bed. He was ready to drop, but I quickly shot him again. The absolute worst part of hunting for me is watching them die, so I wanted it over as quickly as possible. And it was after that 2nd arrow.
I was so excited. So, so excited! What fun!!!! You?ll have to watch my video when I add it.
So my hunting was done and now it was time to get Scott a buck. There were several bucks in the area that he would shoot and over the next couple days he was ran ragged stalking bucks.
On day 7, our last day, I spotted the droptine buck and Scott headed to the ridge to setup for a shot. It took a while, but the buck ended up walking to within about 15 feet of Scott and after spooking the buck out to a crazy 20 yards, Scott put an arrow into the perfect spot. Another big buck score!! Again, I was so excited. Watch the video when I get it added.

So here are our trophies. I believe in my 21 days of scouting, I looked at around 432 different bucks. These two are in the top 6-7 best bucks I found. I had hoped to find a monster, but no. Just real good bucks.

4621267bcf53c2f624834ad6ee683e862545a.jpeg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
[URL='http://www.facebook.com/monstermuleys']LIKE
MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook![/URL]

After having success in Wyoming during the archery hunt, I had a lot of downtime. I had a Utah deer tag and took the boy hunting. He was able to take a nice buck, but I never saw anything that got me excited.

Anden's Buck
85083dscn2911.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

In early November, Anden and I headed for Colorado. He had drawn the tag, but I picked one up off the leftover list. We put in 9 days of hard hunting. Conditions were great, bucks were following does around, we saw lots of deer and lots of bucks, but I never saw a buck that I could say for sure was one I'd want to take. We saw plenty that were good enough for the boy, and I did see a couple bucks that looked awfully good, but I didn't get any video, so I hate to guess on size.

Anden hunted hard and missed a couple of bucks. He was bummed, but I try to teach him that it's OK to go home empty handed. It was a fun hunt. Watch it below......

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom