Frank Church Bear's

W

woodtick

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-09 AT 10:18PM (MST)[p]Hey Guys,
I've never been bear huntin before, and would like to spend some time in the frank church this next spring. I would like some general info (when,where that sort of stuff)my methods of would consist of spot and stalk and a little callin if anyone would like to help me out i would appreciate it a bunch, I'm a non-resident lookin to take advantage of the reduced price tag. I'm an experienced backpacker so the church should be no problem.
Thanks

WHACK'N & STACK'N
SHOOT STRAIGHT SHOOT TRUE
THE WOODTICK

We've got lots of bears in Idaho....everywhere. Please don't discount how physical the Frank Church wilderness can be. I don't know where you live, but if you've never hunted before, it could well mean you've not seen country quite like that.

There are LOTS of bears and very demanding country in the Queen's River area just NW of Atlanta and it's not as big as the Frank Church Wilderness. Good luck.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Very, very, rugged country. The only way to access the Church in the spring would be to charter a plane into one of the many airstrips. I could be wrong, but I dont think you can access it by road due to the snow. Good luck plenty of bears around!! We like to see predator control in Idaho??

Hunted in the Frank Church in September. Very, very rugged country, also the most beautiful mountains I have ever been in even with the fire damage. Our guides said their access road still was blocked by snow drifts July 4.

If you're dead set on hunting the Frank in the spring, your best bet is to fly in or hunt the fringes. There is plenty of hunting on the fringes, your best bet is to find out where the winter ranges for game is and hunt those where the bear is usually eating the sweet grass and winter kills.

i tried hunting bear on the edge of frank church wild in May 2 years ago with my brother because he could get a cheap nonres bear tag. that country is rough we went out of challis up morgan creek chained up to get over the summit and over to camas creek as far as we get the truck about 40 miles and then hiked and saw lots of elk but no bear, we got rained and snowed on every day out though and we had more ticks on us then either of us had ever seen
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

I hunted it last year in the fall could have shot bears out of my sleeping bag a couple of nights. I have been to church for 4 years and only 1 year we did not see bears. Tough country but there are a lot of bears in it.
Jay

Thanks Guys for all the input, I've hunted deer in the Church Wilderness a couple times so i know what I'm up against, I'll have to weigh my options on this hunt!!

WHACK'N & STACK'N
SHOOT STRAIGHT SHOOT TRUE
THE WOODTICK

Don't let a price tag fool you... plenty of dudes expect bear behind every tree and get skunked. Expect to hike your butt off and put in a week of hard time before you see something. There may be bear in the area but your odds of getting one visually and within range are slim.

I have not penetrated the Frank Church much, but I live in Lewiston and visit the Clearwater area often. It has great access during bear season and lots of bears. Glassing clearings and clearcuts you may see over 5 bears a day. Find the elk and you will find the bears eating the calves. I have read that biologists claim the bears eat 75% of the calves. Then to top that there are cougars and lots of wolves in the area. We need predator control all over the state. The Cleawater Elk Herd use to be the biggest elk heard in the world, but now it is at about a tenth of what it used to be, but who cares, the bear numbers are up.

your easiest way to take a spring bear would be to go down below corn creek on boat, and hunt up the open drainages.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom