Frank Church Wilderness

A

autodink13

Hi guys,
I am going to be hunting the the frank for the first time this year. My question is when has enough snow melted off to access the area to start scouting? I know there is a trailhead at Big Creek, but what are some other trailheads on the northwest side of the Frank? Thanks for any info.
Brent

It's different every year. I would guess late June this year....it also depends on how high you want to get. That's not much help, but things haven't melted yet and it depends on the temp from here on.

I assume you are from ID and therefore know the limitations which fires can cause during prime scouting/early hunting time in Frank Church. Since there are somewhat limited access points the the area, make sure you have a few options which you feel comfortable with so when fires shut one down you can bounce to the next. I would imagine by the time you are hunting most fires will be out, but access may have been restricted for the previous 2 months before it opens.

It is great country with some great deer if you can beat the physical demands of the terrain. Have fun and good luck.

Just curious, are you packing in with horses or hoofing it yourself?

Thanks for the info guys. Another quick question, do a lot of people fly into the airstips during the september hunt? Should I keep a good distance between any airstip and the area I hunt?

Yes I have heard the traffic is heavy in and around the airstrips so i would stay away from them at all costs. If your going to bust your hump getting in your definately better off staying away from the airstrips from what I have heard.

I flew into Big Creek 15 years ago, hunted both sides of the Middle Fork, floated down the river, hunted 2 more drainages and flew out of the next big air strip down stream. Great hunt but that country is HUGE & STEEP!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom