Fresh Salsa

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
Made some fresh salsa out of veggies from the garden. Sure beats the store bought. Have to watch how many serranos I put in or the wife won’t touch it if it is “too hot”.

DCAA3DE3-750F-4A6D-A6DD-190A8DBBB102.jpeg

9A9DB9FB-6095-4DDD-B163-95500353C80E.jpeg

51DE7546-3F49-41EC-A86A-1D94E67BB607.jpeg

A2870F85-39A2-412D-B9BC-BCC1006BA06A.jpeg

I like spicy, and really enjoy food to have a bite to it. That said, if its too hot, it takes the flavor and enjoyment out of it for me, and the girls won't even try it. No sense wasting food to prove how macho you are - I gave that up several decades ago. :)

That looks good!

I'm for hot, too. My bride tolerates it to a point, but not as much as me. Thus, we use two different salsas. I often tell her that her variety tastes like nothing but plain ol' tomato sauce.

But I do have to be more careful for the food stuffs that we both eat as part of the meal, i.e. the sauce for the steak vera cruz or my sea food concoctions.

Looks good. I like hot too. What I don’t like is chunks of tomato, they have to be blended up to nothing. For some reason I can’t know I’m eating a tomato and I usually remove them from hamburgers or salads. I can handle everything tomato like ketchup, barbecue sauce and salsa, but hate the idea of a straight up tomato. Tomatillos are different. I love the green salsa most of my friends make that is both hot and sweet. I can drink that salsa.

Made some fresh salsa out of veggies from the garden. Sure beats the store bought. Have to watch how many serranos I put in or the wife won’t touch it if it is “too hot”.

View attachment 51200

View attachment 51201

View attachment 51203

View attachment 51204
That looks like it would be outstanding.

Being born and raised north of the border, black pepper was the only hot spice I ever consumed, so the only hot I ever ate was measured with a thermometer.

I moved to the US in my early twenties and my first tries at eating any kind of peppers/chili was not a lot different than my first taste of gasoline. Not only did I really dislike the heat but the flavor was extremely foreign and nasty, as far as I was concerned. It took about twenty years or more of trying to eat regular green peppers before I acquired a taste for them, which I now eat a lot of and enjoy. I still have to go slow on the other kinds, but I am working on it. Both the heat and the flavor over power me quite often. On a scale of mild, medium, hot........ I have to stay between mild and medium, leaning closer to mediam than mild....... never over mediam however. It’s been a constant battle but as I get older I am bored to death with flavorless food so I’m continually on the prowl for more flavor.

Bored to dead but that hasn’t kept me from eating everything I see, everyday.

Maybe I should invest in a new tool.

Last edited:
Looks good. I like hot too. What I don’t like is chunks of tomato, they have to be blended up to nothing. For some reason I can’t know I’m eating a tomato and I usually remove them from hamburgers or salads. I can handle everything tomato like ketchup, barbecue sauce and salsa, but hate the idea of a straight up tomato. Tomatillos are different. I love the green salsa most of my friends make that is both hot and sweet. I can drink that salsa.
I'm with you with chunks of cooked tomatoes in sauces, like salsa & pasta sauces. I generally start with canned El Paso med. hot sauce for my salsa and go from there.

But I also like slices or pieces of RAW tomatoes on sandwiches, in salads or by themselves with olive oil, salt & oregano.

That looks like it would be outstanding.

Being born and raised north of the border, black pepper was the only hot spice I ever consumed, so the only hot I ever ate was measured with a thermometer.
Had a friend from MN come on one of my Steenkin' Peeg hunts. On the last night after the hunt, we usually made a Mexican food spectacular with fish vera cruz, enchiladas, burritos, tacos, green chile & all the trimmings with homemade flan as a dessert.

My friend took a bite of an enchilada & it looked like smoke was coming out of his ears. BUT..there was nothing even close to hot about them other then the very mild red enchilada sauce.

Right now, my taste buds are so screwed up that I can't actually get too hot. Thus, I need to let Ellen taste stuff as I go along.

Last edited:
Have to say ODW, it does seems a little masochistic.............. to us ole salt and pepper types.
Both El & I both like lots of black pepper on food. That's why I use my peppercorn sauce a lot. But I really never associated black pepper with hot.

I go easy on salt, tho, for medical reasons.

We were down in Cotulla TX on a deer hunt, and stopped in a Mexican restaurant for dinner one night. I can do almost anything hot in salsa, so when the sweet little girl brought chips and beans and salsa, when she asked mild or hot, I said hot for me. Regular ketchup is too spicy for my buddy. I took one big scoop and thought I had died and gone straight to Hell! I sweated, my eyes teared up, and I couldn't hardly talk. Drank half a picture of ice water, while I was waiting for her to bring me a glass of milk!!! The next 5 days, she smiled and laughed every time we came in.

I can relate. Once way back in the late '60s, a buddy & I towed my boat down to fish Lake Dominguez in Mexico. Tired of our camp cooking, we decided to drive into the town of El Fuerte. We ordered big helpings of peel & eat shrimp, and there were three bottles of sauces on the table. I picked the wrong one first. That was back when I still had acute taste buds, & man did I ever shock them awake. We were drinking beer, and it did little to soothe the hot. Luckily the waiter saw my distress and quickly did an, "Aquí hay un poco de agua, senor." They probably had a good laugh after we left.

Snoop, only tossed seeds on jalapeños. The serranos were roasted and ground whole!! If I am eating without wife I use my stash of salsa with extra serranos for more heat.

One of the strangest things I have ever seen was a guy that belonged to an equipment dealers council and we meant once a month. We would have prime rib and Harry would ask "does anybody want any more pepper"? If not he would pour the whole shaker on his prime rib..about 1/4" thick and eat eat it all.

I worshipped my dad and would try to do about anything he did. He could eat those little yellow peppers right from the jar...I tried it once ! Near death experience for me.

One of the strangest things I have ever seen was a guy that belonged to an equipment dealers council and we meant once a month. We would have prime rib and Harry would ask "does anybody want any more pepper"? If not he would pour the whole shaker on his prime rib..about 1/4" thick and eat eat it all.

I worshipped my dad and would try to do about anything he did. He could eat those little yellow peppers right from the jar...I tried it once ! Near death experience for me.
If they made ya happy, horny, tall, skinny, tough, buff, smart, wealthy or a better long range hunter, I guess I could understand the attraction but...............

Do you think this one might be too strong for you? ;)

View attachment 51289
Ugh............. I’ll let Blank or Eel test that one first. There’s possible indicators there.......... with out trying to use your words against you, their sense of taste may be more reliable.

If it look like a duck, and it tastes like a duck, it might be a ............

Ugh............. I’ll let Blank or Eel test that one first. There’s possible indicators there.......... with out trying to use your words against you, their sense of taste may be more reliable.

If it look like a duck, and it tastes like a duck, it might be a ............
I couldn't really tell from your reply...did you perhaps not grasp the humor in that one?

I couldn't really tell from your reply...did you perhaps not grasp the humor in that one?
Acutually, for once I did, hence....... I was wanting Blank or Eel to try it first. If it looks like some guy’s business, I’d rather pass on tasting it until I know It’s really a green chili and a couple of tomatoes.

Having said that, I recognize I’m a clumsy communicator. You’re not the first one I’ve left confused.

Acutually, for once I did, hence....... I was wanting Blank or Eel to try it first. If it looks like some guy’s business, I’d rather pass on tasting it until I know It’s really a green chili and a couple of tomatoes.

Having said that, I recognize I’m a clumsy communicator. You’re not the first one I’ve left confused.
It isn't 'some guy's business.' Get your mind outta the gutter. :ROFLMAO:

The word 'Strong' in the caption rather than hot was the clue. Now look close & think Popeye. Tthe two side protrusions are like arms with flexed muscles.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom