Friends helping friends in Unit 13A--Chase and his first Arizona mule deer!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-19 AT 02:44AM (MST)[p]My friend Dan Driggs who lives in St. George Utah and I had the opportunity to assist a police officer from southern Arizona on his FIRST mule deer hunt in Unit 13A last month.

Despite having just 7 bonus points Chase Hancock drew tag number 50 out of the 50 offered this year.

Antler growth was OK, but when we got there the unit hadn't had any rain for over 160 days and many of the water sources were dry.

We did see quite a few deer, though not as many as I had seen last year when I hunted with Isaac Mussmann through a donated tag and the Hunt Of A Lifetime organization.

It turned out that it would be Day 5 before Chase found the buck he was looking for.

He took a great buck, a 4x4 that had a spread of just under 30 inches. Chase and Kyle saw the old buck chasing a doe while I was glassing up some more deer.

725471119191734resized.jpg

Prior to Chase taking this buck, I had glassed up and photographed a 8x3 buck, and had showed it to Chase. But he said width was more important than points, so he passed on him.
1554an8x3thatiglassedupinunit13a.jpg

10 minutes later this big wide buck was in the dirt.
61890chasehancockwithhis2019unit13amuldeer.jpg

29691119191735aresized.jpg

That night a tremendous rain storm came in and both of us were pulling trailers. The next morning at light we tried to get off the mountain with snow and mud everywhere.

We had to drive 45 miles to get into Colorado City and I was in low range 4z4 for 38 miles of those miles. Can't tell you how happy we were when we finally saw pavement!

23579chasehancocklandkyleunit13a.jpg

Two awesome guys, that I really enjoyed hunting with.

The only problem was when I asked him what was he going to do for an encore?

Even if he beat the odds and somehow, someway, drew another tag in Units 13A or 13B, it would tough to do better than what he had done on his first mule deer hunt!

Glad he found the buck of his dreams on this hunt..We saw a lot of wildlife on our hunt including turkeys and even a flock of 40 chukars,

564691119191653resized.jpg

Friends helping friends, that was what this hunt was all about!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Don, Great buck and congrats to all involved!! You are super great helping out guys who sometimes you don't really know where to hunt. Glad to call you a friend.

Here are some more photos.

1270turkeyswalkingthroughcampunit13a.jpeg

Mom and the kids walking through camp

98994chasehancockandhisunit13abuck.jpeg

One happy Chase Hancock!

26327donmartinlandchasehancockwithhis13abuck.jpeg

For those that don't believe I was really there! LOL

It was a great time with Chase, Kyle and of course Dan Driggs.

Hope to be able to go back there next !

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Great story, photos, and of course the beautiful buck Chase took! Thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading about the hunt.

You always go out of your way to help hunters whether in the field, in the classroom, or on this site. Seems like your all over the state with your 5th wheel. Way to go Don and Happy Holidays!

Horniac

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom