From 39 to 54

S

SoCoHunter

I had been hunting unit 39 in the Atlanta area for a few years up until a couple of years ago when I gave up on the area because of the Wolf problem there. But this year I drew a tag for unit 54. I have started my research but have never been in that area before. So has anyone camped in that area, and if so where would be a good spot to set up a base camp. Any other info you would like to share about the area would be appreciated.

SoCoHunter

I grew up there and have hunted it (guided my nephew) as recently as last year. I'm not willing to give away hunting secrets (hunt in the bottom of the canyons....roads are on top).

A good camping place would be some place up the Dry Creek road....go in to someplace around the Bostetter area. I'd camp in unimproved "favorites". However, there are campgrounds there and plenty of open space. Hunting from there is up to you.

Good luck.

Grant

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Thanks Grant, I just ordered some maps of the area today. When the time comes I will be ready and I will be going in a few days early.

Rich

not sure where you are from, but i would for sure take at least one scouting trip in the area. maps are a great tool as well as google earth. but, nothing beats stepping foot on the ground youre going to hunt. there have been a few times that ive not gone into a "new" area early and been packing out a couple days later in a panic for another new spot. at least you can find some camping spots if nothing else. when you get your maps, look at the country off and around rock creek road, pikes mtn., buckskin ridge...areas we were going to check out before we decided on 55. lots of good looking country down there. good luck.

There are roads everywhere; one can easily be a road hunter. If you want a bigger buck, the deep canyons are where to look. It may be the only place on planet earth where mule deer run downhill....the roads are on top. There is a designated area in which all motorized traffic is closed during the hunting season and a HUGE canyon therein. It's physically tough, but look there.

PM me if you'd like.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom