From Drought to Flood

Howdy,

The word is Questa is in a real bad way right now. Media is trying to make out like the dam is about to burst. Know anything about that???

Coach

Yeah I read that article on KOB news, the state police are warning residents and getting sand bags in place. I didnt' think that creek was that big there?

I just checked the USGS site for Colorado streamflow. The Animas, Dolores and San Juan are really crankin'. Are the kayakers having a blast at Smelter rapids and Santa Rita Hole, or is it flushed out at 7500 cfs?

The Colorado at palisade is crankin' Higher than I have seen it since the early 90's. it is getting ready to get out of it's banks soon if this 05 degree weather keeps up. Plateau Creek coming out of Colbran and Mesa is really high and out of it's banks in places.

The Kayakers are awaiting the return of the massive standing wave that forms in Debeque Canyon just above Palisade. It hasn't been seen for a few years, they call it Big Sur.

Yee Haw, let er rip,

BeanMan

I have not seen any kayakers at smelter, I don't think it is safe for them, way to dangerous. Even the rafters are getting flipped. Lots of debris (like 60 foot pine trees) floating down the river, actually more like speeding down the river.
Looks like the river in Durango could get up close to 8500 today, but it is supposed to start cooling down the rest of the week so this could be the worst of it.
Picture below is just as you start going north of Durango out in the valley.
Just keep building them million dollar homes out there!

news050524_2.jpg

BTW, Yesterday Navajo Lake had a total of 11,015 cfs coming into it at one point, today it is back down to around 10,000. This is runoff from the San Juan, Los Pinos and the Piedra rivers. Navajo should be at full capacity in the next few weeks, maybe 6 more weeks.

Colorado River flows at Palisade are 17,000cfs. At Utah border they are 24500 cfs. I'll bet Westwater Canyon is one heck of a ride now.

BeanMan

Phantom,

It's just snow melt. Now if we had some rain on top of it you would see some action.

BeanMan

I guess it would be better for the snow to melt slower to give more of the water time to soak in. Hope ya'll get some more rain this summer. Most of West Texas is finally coming out of a 7 year drought. Still a few areas suffering. Looks like Eastern New Mexico is getting some moisture, will be good for mulie and speed goat fawn survival.

Phantom Hunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom