FTW, 2020 big game draw odds

Not real sure but it looks like the dude with 27 points got screwed on the bonus tag!

Screenshot_20200612-120514_Drive.jpg

I was really surprised when looking at the Dedicated drawing odds that several units went to zero quotas this year. Dang I wish Utah could post tag allocations prior to applying!

THE BASIC BIG GAME DRAWING SEQUENCE
The big game drawing offers multiple types of permits but limits an applicant to drawing one once-in-a-lifetime or one limited-entry permit per year. Because of this, the drawing order may be important to you. The permit selection process follows the basic order listed in Utah Administrative Rule R657-62-18:

1. Buck deer (premium limited-entry, limited-entry, CWMU and management buck deer)
  2. Bull elk (premium limited-entry, limited-entry and CWMU)
  3. Buck pronghorn (limited-entry and CWMU)
  4. Once-in-a-lifetime
  5. Dedicated hunter buck deer
  6. Youth general buck deer
  7. General-season buck deer
  8. Youth any bull elk

Dang I wish Utah could post tag allocations prior to applying!
I said the same thing months ago... it makes zero sense at all to me why the quotas aren’t set ahead of the draw. Most guys would adjust their choices accordingly if they knew they had little chance at drawing.

I said the same thing months ago... it makes zero sense at all to me why the quotas aren’t set ahead of the draw. Most guys would adjust their choices accordingly if they knew they had little chance at drawing.
It’s utah. You have little chance at drawing no matter what unit you apply for.

It’s utah. You have little chance at drawing no matter what unit you apply for.
Buckhorn told me the same thing.... When I had commented about it a half dozen guys contradicted my comments. I have to believe it’s true though. It does appear to be harder for myself personally to draw in UT vs. other states that I apply for.

+1 on zero tags available for some DH units. I was one that wasted my time waiting for draw results with zero chance of drawing the zero tags available in the unit we applied for. Next year I guess.

Why do they bother putting a “success rate” number for anything other than bonus tag success rate and total? It must be to mislead people.

When they cut the tags back this year it really screwed the dedicated tags. The dedicated tags are set off of a % of total tags in the unit, if they already had enough guys in the system from the previous 2 years to meet that % then they wasnt able to give any dedicated tags. I know my unit the tags were cut by 50% from what they would have been.

When they cut the tags back this year it really screwed the dedicated tags. The dedicated tags are set off of a % of total tags in the unit, if they already had enough guys in the system from the previous 2 years to meet that % then they wasnt able to give any dedicated tags. I know my unit the tags were cut by 50% from what they would have been.
Then you throw the LL tag holders into that mix and the dedicated guys are really boned in some units on years like this.

I hope someone starts a lawsuit against them for false advertising/scam/whatever else they can throw at them and ask for their application fees back +2 preference points for wasting their time for that years application

Then you throw the LL tag holders into that mix and the dedicated guys are really boned in some units on years like this.

I hope someone starts a lawsuit against them for false advertising/scam/whatever else they can throw at them and ask for their application fees back +2 preference points for wasting their time for that years application

It's especially worse this year since they were advertising it every where they could at the end of last year that Utah's deer herds were better than they've ever been! Then as soon as they have their hands on everybody's money they cut tags. In any other business you'd definitely be facing legal trouble for that kind of false advertising.

I think they will be facing legal trouble as it is. They had an application for a draw system where people applied with a fee and there ended up being zero tags allotted for those units. That’s a problem, ethically and legally. To cover their ass they should have given 1 to every unit. But there’s several out there where there was 0. It wasn’t an error or a typo. They messed up and published it for the world to see. I wish someone would hold these idiots accountable just one time. Year after year they screw the pooch on something, and have no accountability on their end. But a private citizen screws up and they want their first born and half their belongings to rectify that mistake

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom