Fundraiser Tax Deductible?

General rule is the amount paid above fair market value can be deducted - for example if you paid $2,000 for a gun that retails for $1,000. Problem comes when people try to write off amounts paid for tags at an auction - FMV is what unrelated parties are willing to pay, and if you just had an auction you just established that the FMV is your last bid.

It depends on the fundraiser and what kind of donation or payment you’re asking about? If you could be a bit more specific, we might be able to better respond.

I’ve bought a few tags at events, every one has had a receipt showing the amount of the donation as the amount I paid minus the state tag fee (which is the fair market value). So essentially anything over what the tag costs from the state is a donation. My accountant agreed and was cool with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom