Future of Trophy Hunting

This is a well written article with some neat photos...

Future of Trophy Hunting
Personal opinion..........Roosevelt had a easier fight to win his victory over market hunter businessmen than these folks will have winning this argument. The western State’s bureaucrats aren’t going to fall for this after spending a century creating the belief that Roosevelt saved wildlife for public meat hunters aka: opportunists.

They certainly chose an interesting businessman to quote.

But no one cares, so..........who cares.

It’s actually more productive to poke fun of the exploits of Homer and SS! than mess with this and that’s my most sincere recommendation.

Where’d this guy get his numbers? 41,000 elk left today ? There’s more than that just in Colorado isn’t there?

Do tell jack ass? Believe that says 1000 bison today. That’s wrong too

EAF4F774-B4F7-443A-B3F9-A1AA41F0AE0A.png

So what “day” is the rest referring to? It’s all one paragraph? No context for time. And there’s more then 1000 bison in Yellowstone “today”

Nice “ well written” article

"By the late 1800s, trophy hunting was being used in North America as a conservation tool for the first time. It’s hard to overstate the destruction wrought on North American wildlife after Europeans arrived. Bison went from more than 30 million animals to about 1,000 today. Bighorn sheep from 1.5 million to 85,000. Elk from 10 million to 41,000."

“More isn’t always better,” he says. Habitat can support only so many animals. About 1 million elk and 30 million whitetails now live in North America."

paragraphs and punctuation matter

Them JellyStone Bison Are Pets!

It Takes Alot To Get One Mad Enough To Hook a GREENIE!

But It Does Happen Once in a Great While!

2 Days In To The New Year & We've Got Arguments already!

JUDAS!

So what “day” is the rest referring to? It’s all one paragraph? No context for time. And there’s more then 1000 bison in Yellowstone “today”

Nice “ well written” article

They've Wrote It Wrong!

Should Read The Herd Went Down to as Low as 1,000!

I Don't Know The Total Number Estimated for the United States Today?

But It's a Hell of alot More Than 1,000!

And I Quote:

How many bison are in the US 2020?

362,406: Estimated herd size in North America today. 30 – 60 Million: Estimated North American herd size prior to 1900. Less than 1,000: Estimated number of bison prior to 1900 before efforts were made to preserve and restore the species. 69,000: Approximate number of bison harvested in the U.S. and Canada in 2020.

Oh I get it... We hunt the trophies, but also the young bucks and does to keep the population in check.

Sounds like Utah's elk management plan. And that's working out... how well.? LOL

I’ll help ya out…
These stats are from late 1700s/1800 not modern day.
And yet nothing about how it’s written says that: in fact says “today” implying when the article was written.

The jackass I threw this back at was questioning my reading comprehension. Guess maybe yours could be in question too. Where does he say numbers are 1700/1800’s? That’s quite the span by the way....

The people concerned about trophy hunting have trophies of their own….participation trophy’s.

Your reading comprehension is as bad as your grammar.
Maybe the article would fetch a passing grade in an English class, but there is definitely room for improvement in the clarity department. All that aside, the number of bison today is a lot more than 1000. We have a number close to that in Utah alone.

There were some fun pictures, but I'm hesitant agree with some of the assessments in the article.

Trophy hunting saved North American big game? I'm not so sure. My father's generation saw the best deer hunting in Utah but they were not trophy hunters by today's standards. Sure they'd hold off for a 3-pt or better, but there was plenty of "camp meat" in the dutch oven and they didn't spend months chasing one big buck. They spent 10 days filling as many tags possible with bucks that were 2.5 yrs or older. I didn't even know what a score was until about 20 years ago. A "heavy 26" 4 x 3" is about as specific as it got.

Lumping trophy hunting before the 1920's to today begs for more distinction.

I think the states are currently finding a good balance between trophy and meat hunting. What they are doing now seems sustainable, weather permitting.

Hey, maybe I'll get on board with this idea of true trophy hunting. I propose we set a standard B&C score (370" bulls/190" bucks should do it) and require mandatory check-ins with DWR officials. They measure your trophy within 48 hours of your kill, anything less than 370" or 190" is confiscated, and you are fined $10,000 minimum. If its over 370"/190", congrats, you have your once-in-a-lifetime trophy, now go hunt another species, or another state. By doing this, you can be sure guys will pass the "non-trophies" almost guaranteeing only the cream of the crop is harvested... thus saving everyone's herds and ensuring trophy animals from now until eternity...

Oh, and lets keep management hunts, except its not a point requirement, it has to be an obvious deformity. These management animals would have a 5 year wait period, and also mandatory check-ins for officials to verify deformity. Heavy fines for any non-deformed management animals.

Meanwhile, to make up for lost revenue due to far, far fewer trophy tags (remember, this is a trophy only proposal), we raise the price on the spike and female tags... we gotta keep the herds in check afterall.

Sounding pretty good, isn't it.? ?? I think this author is onto something.

Then you'd be the first to say so...
Personally I don't agree with the current management of the elk in Utah, I would prefer alit more permits sold but if you like a herd that is above objective in most units of the State and managing the bulls for the purpose of auction tags, then I believe Utah hit the nail on the head.

And yet nothing about how it’s written says that: in fact says “today” implying when the article was written.

The jackass I threw this back at was questioning my reading comprehension. Guess maybe yours could be in question too. Where does he say numbers are 1700/1800’s? That’s quite the span by the way....
I was going off the first sentence of the paragraph.. “It’s hard to overstate the destruction wrought on North American wildlife after Europeans arrived.” Also turkey’s vanishing east of the Mississippi.. poorly written article all in all. Wasn’t joining in the argument with you and the OP, just implying where the author was deriving these numbers/statistics from.

Our resident English teacher said this was a well written article? He’s way too smug to ever be wrong? Confusing

Personally I don't agree with the current management of the elk in Utah, I would prefer alit more permits sold but if you like a herd that is above objective in most units of the State and managing the bulls for the purpose of auction tags, then I believe Utah hit the nail on the
I'm personally not okay with either of those. We should meet objectives, less opportunity for the hunting public while units are above objective is poor management.

And I hate managing bulls to sell to the highest bidder.

The future of trophy hunting is looking up. Imagine the troves of cheap plastic and wood that will be able to found when all those who participated get tired of looking at their "awards"...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom