G&F Not Guilty Verdict Cody

mightyhunter

Very Active Member

This is an interesting read. It demonstrates how difficult it can be to obtain a guilty verdict in a game and fish violations where the defendants do not plead the case out. This case was tried over many days and was expensive for all concerned. The jury deliberated for just a few hours. I suspect that the Defendants involved did not want to lose their hunting privileges and this fact may have been the impetus for the long and expensive trial.

These cow elk hunts often bring out the worst in people who hunt. I have witnessed "flock shooting" at cow elk. Often, pandemonium ensues after shots are fired. The comments portion of the article demonstrates some of the existing antagonism that exists in this community towards a particular warden. I have spoken openly about my feelings toward this particular warden. I do applaud him for trying to do something. However, as law enforcement you often need to use discretion and drop cases you can't win. This case would appear to be one of those. just sayin...mh

The powell tribune had good coverage on this story. Check it out. It has some more info to the story.

Hey Mightyhunter, it was good seeing ya few weeks ago up the mountain.

Michael, The Powell Tribune does a good job on these stories. Unfortunately, I have trouble posting links from that paper. It was nice to see you in the Upper Sunlight. Where has this summer gone? mh

I don't see your point in posting the link. Doesn't make my post any less factual. You should reach out to Bryan Skoric and express your displeasure about the case not being dismissed before going to trial.

My point is really simple. You obviously don't know the players in this situation. In a perfect world, prosecutorial discretion would prevail. That is what 1st and 2nd year law students are taught in a criminal law or procedure class. In Park County, you have a prosecutor who is known by many as the Monte Hall of prosecution. Often, it is hard to figure out who is in charge.

The person who tried this case for the state is a recent California transplant who was hired after this incident took place. He is the 4th man on a short totem pole. The game warden has been in Park County for 15 years. He investigates most of the grizzly bear killings. The prosecutors office in Park County has had a lot of turnover for a lot of years. This does lend itself to great decision making. When Kelly Rankin was the prosecuting attorney in Park County, this likely would have been his decision to make and he may have declined to prosecute. He was a smart guy and an avid hunter. I am not expressing pleasure or displeasure with the decision. I made the post to show it is difficult to try cases involving Game and Fish violations that involve circumstantial evidence. This has especially been a problem in Park County for years.

Communicating with the prosecuting attorney, to voice my opinion concerning the decision that was made, would be like pissing in the wind. just sayin...mh

Sometimes my reading comprehension isn't the best and I certainly don't know the players. I just thought you were mainly bashing on the warden after giving him a backhanded compliment about that you "do applaud" him for doing something but "law enforcement" should "drop cases you can't win." After pointing out the "antagonism that exists in the community" about the warden. Sorry if I read that wrong.

It's totally obvious the game warden should have told the county attorney's office to drop the case, because of the "Monte Hall." Maybe it's not his fault though. Maybe he couldn't find the person "in charge" cause "it's hard to figure." You should get in touch with the warden and point out the flow chart on the "short totem pole."

Man, I didn't realize you had a "California transplant" up there prosecuting cases. Good luck with that. People who graduate law school who lived in California aren't as smart as people from Wyoming who graduate law school. Everybody knows that.

Michael, The Powell Tribune does a good job on these stories. Unfortunately, I have trouble posting links from that paper. It was nice to see you in the Upper Sunlight. Where has this summer gone? mh

Our goal was to get to Lee city. Im guessing i was quarter mile short. Been awhile since i been back in. I cant believe i use to haul my horse trailer back in there not far from where i ran into you. I would never do that now. I pretty much stay away from that area. To crowded for me. I been trying to explore the greybull more

Really they flock shot and wounded elk and left them to rot. A sly defense attorney got them off don’t mean they weren’t guilty. And how do you determine caliber by a whole in the carcass?? Unless they found a bullet that is total BS. Maybe there is more to this case that I’m missing? Glad to see this chit happens in other place than NM. I thought our court system was the worst in the west. Seems there is competition for that crown now!!

Sometimes my reading comprehension isn't the best and I certainly don't know the players. I just thought you were mainly bashing on the warden after giving him a backhanded compliment about that you "do applaud" him for doing something but "law enforcement" should "drop cases you can't win." After pointing out the "antagonism that exists in the community" about the warden. Sorry if I read that wrong.

It's totally obvious the game warden should have told the county attorney's office to drop the case, because of the "Monte Hall." Maybe it's not his fault though. Maybe he couldn't find the person "in charge" cause "it's hard to figure." You should get in touch with the warden and point out the flow chart on the "short totem pole."

Man, I didn't realize you had a "California transplant" up there prosecuting cases. Good luck with that. People who graduate law school who lived in California aren't as smart as people from Wyoming who graduate law school. Everybody knows that.

Sarcasm is always welcome on Monster Muleys. I actually am not bashing on Warden Queen. Flock shooting and sky busting cow elk is a real problem in this area. Lots of late season and other cow elk hunts bring this on. Often the result is wounded elk walking on three legs or left mortally wounded in the field. The predators get to them pretty quick. Proving these cases in court is never going to be easy. Spending a week in a courtroom arguing forensics over dead elk is expensive and consumes a lot of valuable court time.

With regard to a recent California transplant prosecuting cases in Wyoming, I am sure he gained lots of experience prosecuting game and fish violations in California. If by some strange reason he should stay in Cody, he will learn a lot about game and fish violations. I actually practiced law in North Idaho and these type of cases were always on the docket. There will always be slob hunters.

Perhaps, you should come to Cody and run for prosecuting attorney and straighten the rest of us out. That is sarcasm. just sayin...mh

Our goal was to get to Lee city. Im guessing i was quarter mile short. Been awhile since i been back in. I cant believe i use to haul my horse trailer back in there not far from where i ran into you. I would never do that now. I pretty much stay away from that area. To crowded for me. I been trying to explore the greybull more
Michael, I am headed out for a deer hunt on the Greys this morning. It is always a joy to hunt new country. mh

Really they flock shot and wounded elk and left them to rot. A sly defense attorney got them off don’t mean they weren’t guilty. And how do you determine caliber by a whole in the carcass?? Unless they found a bullet that is total BS. Maybe there is more to this case that I’m missing? Glad to see this chit happens in other place than NM. I thought our court system was the worst in the west. Seems there is competition for that crown now!!

Did you hit your head as a child? Did your momma drop you a few too many times? Can you read?
There was no flock shooting. Why would cow elk hunters kill elk and leave them? There isn’t a motive. This is a case of innocent people being charged by an overzealous prosecutor.
I know it will be hard for you, but read the entire article...

Did you hit your head as a child? Did your momma drop you a few too many times? Can you read?
There was no flock shooting. Why would cow elk hunters kill elk and leave them? There isn’t a motive. This is a case of innocent people being charged by an overzealous prosecutor.
I know it will be hard for you, but read the entire article...

Really? Were you there?

...and yes I did read the article, and I wasn't there either.

Just because they weren't found guilty, doesn't mean they weren't.

Also, if you don't believe that there are epic chit-shows when some guys get close to a herd of elk looking for "meat"...you're pretty naïve.

Yeah I guess the guy who shot a bull instead of a cow was “innocent” too? Where there is smoke there is usually fire. Sounds like a cluster for sure.

Really? Were you there?

...and yes I did read the article, and I wasn't there either.

Just because they weren't found guilty, doesn't mean they weren't.

Also, if you don't believe that there are epic chit-shows when some guys get close to a herd of elk looking for "meat"...you're pretty naïve.

Innocent until proven guilty you azz-hat.
They are INNOCENT and were not proved guilty of the alleged crimes. The narrative didn’t fit the facts. You never build a case around what you want it to be. You let the EVIDENCE speak for itself. The end.

I would expect you to understand this. Most people with a low IQ have a hard time understanding rights and even simple words.

According to the powell tribune article. the game warden never even asked them questions nor for their story. he just charged them.

Last edited:
What am I missing enlightened me?? Just cuz they said they didn’t use that kind of brass doesn’t mean they didn’t. Maybe you don’t realize that criminals LIE even in court.

OJ got off but was he innocent?? Hmmmmm..........

What am I missing enlightened me?? Just cuz they said they didn’t use that kind of brass doesn’t mean they didn’t. Maybe you don’t realize that criminals LIE even in court.

OJ got off but was he innocent?? Hmmmmm..........

How could these guys lie? They were never questioned. Do you really need me to explain how a 30 cal bullet won’t fit in a 6.5 creedmor?

the physical evidence is what found these hunters innocent. Again... innocent until proven guilty.

Hey Buzz, were you there? Did you see them do it? Should I say you've poached and then we can roast you on the internet and say you're still guilty after being found NOT GUILTY in a court of law by a jury of your peers? (Ya see there ya old fart... the law is the law and just because you are too old to read and comprehend words doesn't mean you are right)

I like the one comment below the article: DA's that have unlimited tax payer dollars to take a case "all the way".....only to have flimsy evidence that had little chance of winning.

I actually met the guide, his boss Brett and Brett's wife last week. Incredibly cool people! I personally got to watch them whack em and stack em, 4 for 4 on cows, then they proceeded to round us up and pack three of us, our camp and my buddies bull out !!!

Having spent 7 weeks up there the last two years now and getting to know the area pretty well, I can say that whole accusation makes zero sense. I was dreading the conversation as the side by side came closer and closer to me as I was packing out a hind quarter the long way around to avoid their property. Was pretty shocked to be confronted with "You want a ride?"

Brett, his wife and his dudes are genuine hunters and love this game. It doesn't take but a few seconds talking and having a beer with them at the trucks to realize that whole court case was a farce from the get go.

Just my experience with the people involved and $0.02 on the issue and no, I've never been a client of theirs. Pretty much a diy public land otc kinda guy. Just happened to have had 11 points to burn up that way on an elk this year with a buddy and a couple of our friends for help :)

Cheers, Pete

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom