G2 Daypack from Hornhunter

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Here's a pack that the boys at Sportsman's Outdoor Products gave me to try out last year. The G2 daypack worked well for my Wyoming/Idaho scouting and hunts.
It offers only 1250 cubic inches of space, so packing too much wasn't an option. However, I was able to pack quite a bit.

While scouting and August rifle hunting in Idaho and bowhunting in Wyoming, I was able to pack in this pack my GL2, my spotting scope, lunch, GPS, rangefinder, and all the small things every hunter takes (matches, flashlight, map, T.P., knife, rope, snacks, gloves, extra batteries, etc.).
Plus, I straped my heavy Bogen Tripod on and when it got warm, could strap my sweatshirt on as well. All in all, I liked the pack for early season hunting.

What I like about the pack is the fact that it is smaller and hugs my back well. Most of the weight, other than my tripod, felt easy to carry because it was tight to my back.

The belt straps have zippered compartments that were great for my GPS, rangefinder, and flashlight. Easy access!!

I didn't like the position of the padded straps on the back. I believe they are meant for the tripod, but my tripod is just too heavy to sit that high. So, I ended up straping the tripod to the straps on the bottom of the pack.

The carry strap on the top is also heavy duty, so attaching it to the saddlehorn on the saddle worked out great while riding in.

This is a good pack, especially for summer scouting. If you don't normally pack a video camera and heavy tripod, then there is probably room in the pack for a couple jackets and room on the outside to strap a jacket, sweatshirt, whatever....

449b84903a2a6581.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

this is the pack I use and I love mine. It is in my opinion the perfect day pack. It is well thought out for the high country. On the outside of the pack, I use the clip straps for my spotting scope, tripod and the mesh for a jacket. All my food and gear fits inside easily. If you cant fit what you need in this pack for the day-you are not packing smart.
I also carry 2 game bags which I used this past year to pack out a quartered spike elk and a quartered 26 inch buck-both by myself in just 2 trips each.
My method is a little unorthadox but I think it works awesome. I carry 2 game bags, some rope, and 6 inches of pipe insulation. Yes...I said pipe insulation. Let me explain. I put even amounts of meat in both game bags, tie a knot at the top of the bags, tie rope between the 2 bags about 1 1/2 feet apart, string the rope across my shoulders with the pipe insulation around the rope (to provide padding-helps keep the rope from digging into my shoulders.) With this set-up, you can keep your hands free to carry your weapon out while packing out your kill at the same time. The weight is directly over your shoulders so you can pack more and keep your balance as well. this set-up weighs almost nothing to carry in your pack wherever you go and if you find the right game bags, takes up little space.
If you cant tell I am into packs. I have tried alot of them, and for me, the G2 Hornhunter is the most comfortable, best pack I have ever used. Ryan

The fabric is 100% waterproof and the empty weight is right around 4 pounds. I emptied mine out and weighed it on my home scale so i'm sure that 4 pounds is not an exact measurement, however, it is the lightest of any of the internal frame hunting packs that I know of. I have hunted with many people who used Badlands packs and they have all switched to Horn Hunter. Go with the Mainbeam, you won't be disappointed.

}}-SLIVER-->

I have both packs. I will bring them into my work tomorrow and weigh them on our digital UPS scale and post results. I am curious now too.
Ryan

mainbeam=4.4 lbs
(the inner frame is 1 1/2 pounds of the weight)
G2=3.0 lbs

I know they also make a Mainbeam XL

hope this helps, tooele.
Ryan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom