G37

jimbo_3446

After 15 years my dad got lucky enough to draw the g37 tag. Neither of us have ever hunted the D6 zone and we're just looking for a couple pointers to get him going in the right direction. I've heard it can depend a lot on weather and it looks like we may be getting some starting this week. But his hunt isn't until the 25th so we'll see what happens. Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

A lot of the roads are closed because of the winter we had. You may want to come check it out or contact the forest service to see where you can and cannot drive. The hunt is dependent on snow in Yosemite. Some nice bucks were taken last year, you can do a search here and find some pictures and stories. But again a lot of these roads were ruined and closed after last years hunt. Good luck and keep us posted on how the hunt goes. We like to here hunt stories from new people.

Hey jumbo, I had that tag last year. I was just up there for the last weekend of D6 general season and the upper roads were in a lot better shape than last year. Looks like they ran a blade over them and got em in pretty good shape. The lower roads are decent but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on them. If you get the weather it's an awesome hunt. Although I believe you can still do good without the weather just because of the rut going on at the time of the hunt. Saw several bucks battling it out last year. If you don't get the weather (snow) then stay in the upper part ie: Crocker ridge, Pilot ridge, etc. if you do get some weather they'll be all over the unit. Then it's just a matter of finding the buck you'll be happy with. Good luck and shoot straight !

^^^^^^
This is more recent eyes on the ground than me. Last I was there was in august. They have been fixing storm damaged roads lately.

Thanks for the reply guys we appreciate any help we can get I'll post an update after the hunt hopefully we can get him a nice wall mount.

My dad has the tag this year. I had it in 2013. Beginning of the year a lot of roads were closed, as the summer progressed they have fixed and opened many of the roads. The two main roads that are still closed and will remain closed are Crocker Ridge Road and the road from five corners directly down to Anderson Flat. Everything else is pretty much open.

Pray for snow and good luck to you guys.

CA Mike, Congrats to your dad!! Luck must run in the family!! I am on the east coast until mid December, but pm me if I can help in any way. Owe you one brother.

Adversity does not build character, it reveals it - Audaces Fortuna Juvat

So my dad went out this weekend to do some scouting got ticket for towing his quad down a steep grade CHP said he was passed the weight limit. Then he couldn't find the zone he'll be hunting in any suggestions on which side he can get in on the 120 side or 49?

Yeah he said he couldn't find any roads off 120 to get into the zone his zone i wasn?t with him so not sure where he was exactly is it easier to get into off of 49?

He got the ticket on old priest grade. You have to go up new priest with any trailers. He needed to continue east on 120 past groveland. There is moore creek rd past the buck meadows forest service station you can acces or pretty much any road past that on the right off 120. Tell him to stop at the forests service and buy a map. It's right off the highway.

Someone told him to check out five corners and big oaks flat. Any idea where these are located on the map I'm not seeing them on my onX app.

Sounds like you need to team up with a local to show you around. Big Oak Flat is basically a couple homes and gas stations on the side of the highway, NOT in the unit at all .

If I was you I would PM a few of the guys who have had the tag and responded in this thread. Maybe they would have a phone conversation with you and get you pointed in the right direction.

Hey jimbo, you guys can take smith station road south off of 120 then east on Greeley hill road all the way to Anderson flat. From there you got two different routes up to five corners. Hope this helps. Good luck. Ed

Yeah we got up there Friday scouted around didn't see much same with Saturday then Sunday is when it got good got some weather during the evening he passed on a descent 3x3. Got a good night of rain wich turned into snow the next morning and he dropped a really nice 3x4. All the help made it pretty easy a couple other hunters out there gave us some tips as well all in all a good hunting trip thanks again everyone for the tips.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-17 AT 06:57PM (MST)[p]Congrats great buck ! How wide did he go . I have always wanted to kill a buck in some deep snow to be able to take a awesome pic in the snow. Mind me asking how many points you had when you drew this tag ?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-17 AT 07:29PM (MST)[p]This is a max point draw that like the other max point draw units even with maximum points it's a luck of the draw among the max point holders.....(although there are 2 random tags that a couple thousand people try for). if any of that dribble makes sense.

Nice buck

I talked to the local game warden today. He heard of only a handful of bucks were taken. Lots of tag soup this year.

This is a buck i killed during A-21 on November 20th
41034img5806.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom