game cleaning question

H

huntnut111

I've always heard to clean game as soon as possible which I took to mean in the field; however I notice on a lot of hunting shows that they drag the game out whole and uncleaned. What's your opinion?

I think the sooner the better. In hot temps not removing the insides could cause the meat to spoil.

Michael

I am sure that they do clean those animals in the field as well. They are probably just dragging them away without being cleaned just to get a shot for the TV show. Clean them ASAP!!

Clean them as soon as you finish taking pictures. The animals body heat is your enemy. You have to get the heat out and the meat cooling as soon as possible to ensure the best taste. Also, don't hesitate to wipe the inside out with water or snow to remove blood. Also, remove the hide as soon as possible as this probably releases more heat than gutting the animal does.

Mark

I agree with wiping out. But I highly suggest a dry CLEAN towel or rag or paper towels. Water (no matter where its from) contains bacteria. Bacteria is a huge enemy. Water is just about as bad as dirt on the meat. Both contain enough bacteria to start problems. Couple that with the fact that most meat should be aged a bit and won't get frozen right away and hence the temps will be correct for bacteria to multiply.

Keep it clean, clean it as quick as you can, I age it on ice for 7 days, but keep it as dry and dirt free as you can.

Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-04 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]

Only problem with not using water is when you have contamination already (gut shot or accident when gutting). I use clean, drinkable water to wash out the body cavity and feel that I have never had a problem as long as you can get the carcass cool and keep it cool. I would dissagree that water is as bad as dirt unless it is allowed to pool and stay on the meat. AS long as the carcass is hung and the water runs off and the meat dries fairly quickly, you should be fine.

After all, aging in ice is aging in water.

I gut my deer as soon as it hits the ground.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

"Clean them as soon as you finish taking pictures. The animals body heat is your enemy"
that is true, especially for all of us arizonans, it is nearly never cold enough to keep a carcus cold enough to not spoil.especially for us coues hunters, even in december its not cold enough. when anyone in our group(usually my dad, myself and 1 or 2 other people) kill a buck, we take pictures then gut asap. another thing that is extremly important that we do when we gut is we take out the windpipe, those are the first things that go bad. once we get back to camp we clea our hands, hang the deer in a tree and get to skinning. once the hide is removed, we stick a piece of wood in the rib cage to open it up so more air can can flow through. if we kill a deer in the morning, we hang it in shade, or creat shade and usually hunt the night then leave right after the night so we can take it to the processor and/or taxidermist.
Casey
ps. a lot of those guys back east drag the deer off because they like to get a "live" weight of the deer atleast thats what i think

Clean it immediately after the kill! Get the hide of as soon as possible, especially elk and antelope. Their hides insulate enough heat to spoil meat very quickly. As far as water goes, there is a reason that most butchers hose down a carcass before putting it into cold storage. To clean it from contaminants. I always clean out the cavity with water or snow asap. Fluids such as bile, urine and feces will spawn bacteria much faster than just about anything else that you will come across in the woods. Cold air (<38?F or so) is a natural de-humidifier, therefore reducing the time that bacteria can form from being wet. That is why when you hang a deer in real cold weather it quickly forms a "crust" on the outside. It is the dry air taking the moisture out of the surface of the animal.
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

Eric

Did not intend to say that water was as bad as dirt, excepting they both contain bacteria. Bacteria is bacteria, regardless the levels it will grow given correct moisture and heat.

I wont' argue too much with ya'll. But I work water/wastewater inspections for a city and see the levels of bacteria in the drinking water. The reason low levels don't affect us is since we are alive and can fight them off. Something the dead carcass can't.

If I find an animal that is shot behind the diaphragm accidentally I'll wet a towel and wipe it out and then dry as best I can. Get it onto ice as quick as you can. Reason that ice water is not as bad(though a wet cape will eventually spoil even in cold water due to bacteria growth) is the temp is a bit on the low side for ideal growth.

Off to work.

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom