Game meat, how long can I hang it?

dirtygrass

I am going on a long deer/elk hunt in WY next week. We will be no where near ice, coolers or trucks for 10 days if needed. I have hung skinned and quartered game meat in the shade for a couple days and have no problems but with the length of time we will be hunting i was wondering how long I can hang the game meat without it going bad. The average temp or the nearest city is high 66, low 34 and we will be 2500ft higher so it should be cooler.

Thanks,

Dirty

When it starts to get above 40 degrees after the first day of cooling then I head down to the meat locker. I dont like to take chances with something I am going to eat, and for my family to enjoy.

The average temps should be high of 57 and low of 23, I think that would not take into account being in the shade which should be considerably cooler. I have hung elk for 6 days from 32-34 before. Its a long way in on horse and I am trying to figure out hong long I can stay before I have to pack something out with out taking any chances.

I have hung a buck on my covered and screened back porch, very cold, until it was all gone. Only did that once but it kept getting better and better, i was out of work at the time, and it sure was good so i ate on it about every meal! :)

Weather permitting, i generally hang a deer out 5-7 days before i take it to portions and freeze it. I use a mattress cover over the deer bag for extra protection after leaving the animal to really get paper dry and cool off the first night. As long as no direct sun or warm spells at night, should be good to go for a good while.

Don't know that i've ever lost a steak of meat from being spoiled.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Bust into quarters and hang at night to get as cool as possible and then during the day place in your shaded tent between a tarp and pile all your sleeping bags on top to insulate them. I have done this on August archery hunts with no problem.

All the old timers had was the north side of the house in the shade or a ceiler. If for some reason the weather really gets warm the guy or guys that have tagged out could spend a day and get one or two animals off the mountian and too the locker if needed (a shower would fill good and be a plus also at that point).

Best of luck on your hunt!!!

We used to hang them in our basement for up to 2 weeks. (aprx 62 degrees) Mold will start inside the ribcage and on any exposed open meat. The meat was always still good.

Mold actually puts more flavor into the meat. I use to help cut meat and some people ask to let it hang until mold came.

I personally don't do that. I get the meat off the mountain asap.

Its been pretty warm here in Wyoming lately to so don't count on the weather report

a group of hunters told me they keep there meat under water in creeks. I have not tried it yet , but would if temps got to hot.

I killed an old buck in the same area several years ago. The quarters hung in camp for about 5 days. Similar temps as what you expect. Uncovered the meat at night(in bags) Meat got cold at night and we tarped it in shade during the day. The meat never warmed up. Traveled two days home in cooler on ice. Threw it in a spare fridge for a few days when I got home. I think I dry aged it by accident and was the best venison I ever eaten.

Nix the water idea, nearly impossible to keep the meat from getting wet and it will most assuredly be ruined if it does.

Cut the meat into primals first so the cool night air can penetrate the meat.

Lay the meat out in deer bags or old pillow cases and allow the low evening temps to get the meat as cool as possible.

Before sun up, cover the meat well in deer bags and stuff inside an old heavy sleeping bag and keep in the shade during the heat of the day, when temps cool again in the late evening, bring the meat out again and allow it to chill again....repeat.

I think 10 days is really pushing it though, I wouldn't go past 4 days doing this before I brought it to town to at least dry ice it down, it just ain't cold enough at night yet.

If you need to keep it out for more then a couple of days. There are a few tricks. Of course if the is a patch of snow quarter it up and lay it in the snow to cool. Then try to hang it when the night cools. Of course keep the quarters out of the sun and in the shade.
You can put a quarter in a large trash bag. Like the contractors kind. Put it a cool stream to cool it. But using the bags to keep the meat dry. If you get the meat wet bacteria starts.
I have heard the stories of cutting the mold of and eating the meat. Also about aging it . I think it just makes the meat gamie.
So I always try to keep our meat at 40 degrees or lower not to have a problem.
If I anticipate more then a few mile pack out ,with one or more elk size animals. I call ahead and arrange for horse's or mules to pack out.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8398chad1.jpeg

>Bacteria will begin when Temps get
>40 degrees and above!

Yup, that and this:

bacteria grows best in Proteins (da meat) and Carbohydrates;

Acidity level...best growth a pH of 4.6 - 7.5;

Temp (already mentioned..btw, refrigeration just slows it down)

Time at temp (duh) And a good reason to quarter an animal

Oxygen

MOISTURE Higher moisture content = greater chance for growth

Alter any one of the above and you can slow down bacterial growth.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-13 AT 04:47PM (MST)[p]to me it sounded like his hunt was coming up and not in the snow or later in the year.

How about doing the ethical thing and just take it in as soon as you shoot it. This way you don't loose anything. Id hate to eat a deer that has hung outside for more then a day this time of year. Im not into maggots

just my humble opinion

who farted?

Does anyone have experience with pepper? Obviously it would affect the taste, but an old-timer I knew once told me he would pat the carcass down with finely-ground pepper which served to reduce mold and the attention of insects. I have never been desperate enough to pack a pound of pepper to try it.

HELL SAKES!

Pepper Ain't gonna hurt it!

Helps keep the Bee's & Bugs off!

Ain't gonna help Cool it or keep it Cool though!

Piss on eatin Moldy Meat!

I only Eat Moldy Meat when I buy Meat out of the Local Stores!

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

Lots of good posts...My Dad when hunting NV had some pretty hot days much hotter into the low 90's than your forecast conditions. They also hunted 10 days or longer. This was back in the 1950's. They never had any spoiled deer and this was their procedure. The secret was taking advantage of what coolness they could get at night. They would skin their deer and let it get a good glaze on the surface. Then cover the hanging deer in a game bag. Late evening of that first day after the take. They would drop off the game bag and let the meat hang in open air to get as much chill as possible on the meat. Then in the early morning they would rebag the game take it down from hanging leaving on the gambles and tied game bag to keep out the flies etc. They then placed the deer and everything in one of those old fashion 20x20 oil soaked tarps and rolled the deer up in it sealing in the cold until the next night when they repeated the process nightly until the hunt was over. The tarp is the best insulation to keep in the cold without ice possible. Placed in the shade of the coolest place possible this procedure always worked for them. We've done this for years like the old timers with no issues as long as the weather allowed for some reasonably cool night conditions. If it doesn't get into the 50's at night you might want to consider checking ahead of time for the nearest hanging locker :)

Good hunting.

))))------->

Addition: before rolling in the game. Fold over the ends then roll with the final result making the trap all rolled up look like a burrito :)

))))------->

Once the meat is cooled, it will need to get pretty hot to make it spoil. Like many here have said, get it cooled down good the first night, then wrap it during the day, unwrap it again at night. Repeat this process daily. I have hung elk for up to 14 days using this technique. I generally process at the first sign of mold. Deer can hang for 7-10 days. The longer you age, the better the meat quality, IMO. People hung meat without refrigerators for centuries.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom