Gardiner late hunt

Hornstar

Does anyone have helpful information on the Gardiner late hunt for bull elk? Just trying to get an idea where to start. I'll be spending some time this spring and summer to look it over.

Even if you get weather it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be! I grew up in those mountains watched it go from probably the greatest elk hunting in the west to now probably some of the worst! Where are you from? And what made you draw for that tag just curious! You can message me if you have any other questions about the area

Even if you get weather it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be! I grew up in those mountains watched it go from probably the greatest elk hunting in the west to now probably some of the worst! Where are you from? And what made you draw for that tag just curious! You can message me if you have any other questions about the area
I'm from Bozeman. 30 years ago before wolves and mild winters, it was very popular. There's only 50 tags now starting mid November so it's not a free for all anymore. I had max points and didn't feel the Elkhorns was a possibility so I blew all my points on the Gardiner late hunt.

Haha you don’t have to tell me anything my wife has drawn tag multiple times and the 50 tags still isnt worth the quality anymore good luck to you… if you want to kill an ok bull better go with warren if not you will most likely eat your tag or shoot a shot head… for the one asking for help you are pretty defensive of the comments!

Haha you don’t have to tell me anything my wife has drawn tag multiple times and the 50 tags still isnt worth the quality anymore good luck to you… if you want to kill an ok bull better go with warren if not you will most likely eat your tag or shoot a shot head… for the one asking for help you are pretty defensive of the comments!
How could she have drawn it multiple times when the odds are roughly 6%?

Believe it or not I’m just telling you lived there my whole life you don’t need to tell me how it was 30 years ago I watched the demise of that elk herd happen before my own eyes! Good luck you are going to need it

Believe it or not I’m just telling you lived there my whole life you don’t need to tell me how it was 30 years ago I watched the demise of that elk herd happen before my own eyes! Good luck you are going to need it
I find it odd your wife drew multiple times when the odds are in the single digits and the hunting was so bad yet she kept putting in for it. I’ll look in to hiring a local outfitter. Thanks

I saw a pic of two freaking giant bulls that came out of there last year. Or atleast I think that’s where they came out of. It was a third hand pic someone showed me on the phone. The one was over 400” easily. I’m guessing the early winter last year made it what it was. Other than that I don’t know jacksh1t about anything to do with that hunt.

I've seen a few pics of monster bulls within the last 6 years from the Gardiner late hunt which is why I chose that unit. 400" bulls are very possible. I'd be ecstatic with a 360 bull.

Whatever you trolls do, don't drive through the check station in Gardiner and look at the photos of huge bulls they have on the wall. I understand if you don't know what a check station is. ?

Whatever you trolls do, don't drive through the check station in Gardiner and look at the photos of huge bulls they have on the wall. I understand if you don't know what a check station is. ?
One of my best friends daughters killed a 402” last year. He knows it well and grew up in the area. The year before he helped a guy for the entire last two weeks and didn’t see a six point. The weather is key in there….lots of options a lot better than Gardiner with max. You might kill a giant if the weather lines out but chances are better that you kill a raghorn 5. Best of luck!

Sooooo….. you draw a tag and jump on the Internet asking for helpful information. You get the legit best information and advice from locals that know it well and don’t like what you are being told about your decision. You are “from” bozeman and even need to ask others about this hunt…..and we are the trolls! Karen alert! All that has been said is completely true. Totally weather dependent. Do you also realize how many native hunters sit down there all winter long and wack trophy bulls as soon as the step on public land. Some of my best friends live in Gardiner and don’t put in for that hunt. Best of luck!

Sooooo….. you draw a tag and jump on the Internet asking for helpful information. You get the legit best information and advice from locals that know it well and don’t like what you are being told about your decision. You are “from” bozeman and even need to ask others about this hunt…..and we are the trolls! Karen alert! All that has been said is completely true. Totally weather dependent. Do you also realize how many native hunters sit down there all winter long and wack trophy bulls as soon as the step on public land. Some of my best friends live in Gardiner and don’t put in for that hunt. Best of luck!
Helpful information would be… “get to know this ridge or that drainage or hire so and so”…. The Gardiner late hunt is obviously a migration hunt. Saying it’s weather dependent is NOT helpful Karen. A child would know it’s weather dependent. Snow+Cold+Elk=Migration. Good lord, it’s not complicated genius.

Helpful information would be… “get to know this ridge or that drainage or hire so and so”…. The Gardiner late hunt is obviously a migration hunt. Saying it’s weather dependent is NOT helpful Karen. A child would know it’s weather dependent. Snow+Cold+Elk=Migration. Good lord, it’s not complicated genius.
I'd say you should ask for help somewhere else. mtmuley

Hornstar, I'm excited to offer you a great gem of information, for use on your 2 decades worth of MT elk bonus points. About an hour before daylight, park about 175 yards short of Warren Johnson's place above Jardine. Walk downhill straight west and park your ass behind one of the big boulders and wait for sun rise.

Hornstar, I'm excited to offer you a great gem of information, for use on your 2 decades worth of MT elk bonus points. About an hour before daylight, park about 175 yards short of Warren Johnson's place above Jardine. Walk downhill straight west and park your ass behind one of the big boulders and wait for sun rise.
Yup!
Probably been more elk meet their maker close to that spot than any similar sized spot on the planet.

Hornstar - awaiting a hunt report on the late Gardiner permit. Did you get that 360 bull, or see any of those 400" potentials? Any helpful tips for other max elk point holders?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom