Garmin GPS Suggestions with OnX Maps

GOutes

Hey guys, Im looking to upgrade my "Oregon" Garmin GPS Unit" (5 years old). Just wanted to see what you guys are using in the field for Newer Garmin GPS finders and which one's have worked the best with ONX Maps?

I use the Garmin 64st. I find it easy to use and it uses Navstar GPS and Glonass Sat. systems. It seems to do pretty well even in deeper canyons.

Phones don’t work everywhere ......... I’ve got a buddy that learned the hard way with the phone deal , lost service and was off by 53 feet. I watched the whole deal , warden was a great guy , the landowner was a jacka_ _ ! He ended up going home with the buck minus the horns and lighter wallet ! I’ll never rely on a phone. Garmin 64 st for me.

If ya know where you gonna be you can download onX maps on your phone offline and your phone dosnt need to have service, it gives you option of 5 miles High resolution, 10 mile med resolution or 150 miles low resolution. But never hurts to have a Garmin!!!

Get a basic (cheap) gps for a backup and get onx on your phone!! So much better for hunting. Gps suck for hunting and onx rocks. The download feature is easy and great. I'm no tech wizard and it's simple to use.
I bought an expensive Garmin unit before I got onx and I'm still kicking myself in the butt for it. I wish I just had a smaller cheaper gps as a backup system.

Phones don’t work everywhere ......... I’ve got a buddy that learned the hard way with the phone deal , lost service and was off by 53 feet. I watched the whole deal , warden was a great guy , the landowner was a jacka_ _ ! He ended up going home with the buck minus the horns and lighter wallet ! I’ll never rely on a phone. Garmin 64 st for me.
Phones do work everywhere. You don't need service to use it. He needs to learn the offline mode. That's his own problem not using the app right. You could say the same thing about any GPS or program. Gotta have enough battery power and know how to use it.

Last edited:
Totally agree that phones dont work everywhere. I was in Nevada during an Elk hunt (in a "primitive wilderness area") and my iphone didnt work 12 miles in from the nearest road.Thats why I always carry a gps and why I wanted some input. Thanks Guys! Appreciate all the input and will check out the 64st.

Phone apps work with maps downloaded prior to your hunt. GPS with OnX chip works the same as the phone app with mapping for the entire state. Phone apps are a little easier for zooming in and out but you must download all the maps you could possibly need for your hunt. Battery for the phone is a little more cumbersome than a GPS in that you must have enough power pack to get you through your hunt or have a way to charge your batteries. I also don't like to expose my phone to the elements, just too fragile. GPS 64s or 64st run on AA batteries and can be operated with gloves on since they are button driven, not touch screen. My GPS seems to get better satellite signal than my phone in the back country. For my money, Garmin 64s and save the phone for pictures and making calls when in service.

I use my phone as a primary. Stated above just download whatever you need before you go. The phone is much easier and has a ton of other things my GPS doesn't.
A GPS with OnX chip is gOod too

I am not sure how the phones and app work.
With the 64s or 64st you can make a waypoint go to that waypoint. You can follow tread Crum trail. Let's say you were walking and dropped your phone. You can follow the bread Crum trail to help you stay on track to find it.
Or if you have game down and you find a good way to pack it out. The bread Crum trail will keep you on that trail.
If you spot an animal and it's a long way off you can project a waypoint to the animal.
Finally, if you run put of battery in the dark trying to get back to camp, the GPS has AA the dead phone is a dead phone.

With the 64s or 64st you can make a waypoint go to that waypoint. You can follow tread Crum trail. Let's say you were walking and dropped your phone. You can follow the bread Crum trail to help you stay on track to find it.
Or if you have game down and you find a good way to pack it out. The bread Crum trail will keep you on that trail.
If you spot an animal and it's a long way off you can project a waypoint to the animal.
Finally, if you run put of battery in the dark trying to get back to camp, the GPS has AA the dead phone is a dead phone.

That's why it's imperative to carry with you, and to know how to use, a compass and 15 min quad topo laid out in a UTM grid system...

You can do the same thing with the phone and I think it's better than the gps. You can put waypoints on anyplace you want and it will record your track so you can follow exactly where you have been. And remember, with the onx you're looking at an actual picture of the terrain, not a topomap. When you download the area map you run your phone on airplane mode and you'll have no battery issues. I still think having a cheap GPS backup is a good idea but the onx app is much better to hunt with in my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom