Garmin inreach SE+Satellite communicator

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
I looked at the old version. You had to pre inter your message on before leaving for a trip. I understand these new ones you can just send messages. Do you have a number like a cell and just text off your phone? We have no cell service at our cabin. Look for something to get out a message. Would you have be outside on the deck? I was thinking it can’t get satellite service with a roof over your head. Sportsmans has them going on sale tomorrow. I would like to hear some opinions.

I have the Garmin inReach Mini and based on your needs, I think it may be better suited for you than the SE. All of the inReach products use the same Iridium network and you definitely have to be outside in order to sync with the satellites.

With the Mini, some cover (cloud/trees) is tolerated but ideally you want a clear shot of the sky. What I don't know is if the SE antennae has a stronger gain (better reception).

Couple other notes - battery life is significantly better on the SE. It also comes up with maps on a color screen. Both can be paired with a smartphone via Bluetooth. The difference is with the SE, you can do without it as far as sending messages. On the Mini, it's certainly possible to type out a message but it's a lesson in frustration...especially in an emergency or urgent situation.

With the SE, you get topo maps and full GPS Navigation functions.

For me, I'm ok with the battery life on the Mini. I always carry a USB charger anyway. I also don't need maps and navigation (I use OnX and Google Maps on my phone).

So basically, if you need an all-in-one GPS and communicator and you want excellent battery life, then the SE is for you. If you just want to send messages and/or share GPS locations to your friends and family, then the Mini might be better.

Both of them have the "I've fallen and I can't get up!" button. If you get in trouble and need an evac or medical assistance, you hit the button and the device alerts the search and rescue monitoring center.

One last thing - the subscription plans. There's a bunch. I went with the Freedom plan as it allows me to suspend the account in the offseason (saves a bunch of money). You can activate/deactivate your account anytime via the Garmin portal. There's also the option for pay for additional insurance

Hope this helps. Sorry for the lengthy post :)

I just got the mini to make my wife happy. Works pretty good but it does want a clear sky. I too use Onx for navigation so all I want it for is communication. It's nice since it's so small. I'm not a fan of using garmin type gps for navigation because Onx is so much better in my opinion but the mini does have a tracking feature that I'll use as a backup.

I went with the spot messenger and used it this fall, I was able to text my wife every night and receive her texts back. I also signed up for off road recovery and they texted me. It is also insured by lords of London to fly your ass out if you push that SOS button

I also purchased the inreach SE. The sos feature keeps mama happy and gives me a bit more comfort level as well. With the Freedom plan you get 30 or 40 ( i forget exactly) 2 way text included, very happy with the communication aspect. The map function is worthless, couldn't get the detail i need. However it very possibly is operator error as I'm appropriately dubbed Tech-tarded by my kids

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom